Top News

March 9, 1950: Ferguson gets birth certificate

['<p>Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe</p>']
['<p>Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe</p>']

Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe

It didn’t take Barrington Ferguson of Fernie, B.C., long to get a birth certificate once the announcement appeared in the Record. While the Town Office was unable to provided records as far back as 1888, a lady who knew the Fergusons lost no time in contacting Rev. James Leadbeater of St. Andrew’s United Church who was able to provide a certificate from the Church records.

Our informant tells us that for years Mr. Ferguson’s family lived on Fir Street in a house that stood on a lot now occupied by John Murray’s house. The family was well known in Springhill at that time. Old friends were glad to hear about Mr. Ferguson’s whereabouts once more.

Down Lovers’ Lane We’ll Wander

Some fellows walk the country lanes with their arms around the neck of some beautiful damsel; others, like Leonard Boss, of Rodney, was seen last Thursday evening in the twilight sauntering down a country road with his arm around the neck of a year-old bull moose.

Leonard had a unique experience last Thursday evening when he captured a young bull moose single handed. The incident occurred as Leonard was returning to Will Smith’s from the latter’s lumber camp. The moose was standing on the side of the road as the truck pulled up and Leonard got out. The moose started to move away but a grunt from Leonard brought the animal back to him and he sniffed Leonard’s hand. Leonard then threw his arm around the neck of the animal and started to lead him to Smith’s barn a short distance away. Mr. Smith came along at that time and sent some of his men to assist Leonard. Without too much difficulty the moose was tied up in the barn. It was noted that he was covered with ticks and Chief Ranger Norman Trueman was notified.

On Saturday Mr. Truman sprayed the moose and the ticks have been cleared up. At the moment the moose is resting comfortably at Mr. Smith’s barn and appears very contented. There is talk of removing him to the game sanctuary.

Deacon Jere Mackey to Be Ordained

Deacon Jere Mackey, son of Mr. William Mackey, will be ordained to the priesthood of the Roman Catholic Church at an ordination ceremony at Holy Hearts Seminary, Halifax, March 25. In the ordinary course of events he would have been ordained sometime in June, but the shortage of priest in Halifax has necessitated the advancing of the ordination date so the new priests can assist the Halifax clergy by celebrating week-end masses in the city’s churches.

It was Deacon Mackey’s original intention to celebrate his first mass in Saint John’s R.C. Church, his native parish, but this is now out of the question because a new priest’s first mass is celebrated on the first day after ordination. However, he will probably celebrate his first solemn high mass in Springhill on a future Tuesday.

After receiving education to grade eleven in the local schools, Deacon Mackey spent five years in university, graduating with the degree of B.A., and four years in Holy Heart Seminary, Halifax. He is the third Springhill native to be elevated to the priesthood, being preceded by his uncle. Right Reverend Monsignor J.P. Mackey, Principal of the Indian School at Shubenacadie, and Reverend Charles Hatherley, pastor at Pugwash.

“Twenty Years Ago”

1930- The firemen took advantage of a social evening to present their retiring Chief, C.R. Murray, with a beautiful smoker stand in recognition of faithful service in the department for over twenty years. Firemen T.O. McCormick and P. Bentley, who had resigned from the department were presented with suitable addresses and five-dollar gold pieces.

The District Board of the United Mine Workers sent out circulars to locals in Cape Breton requesting them to take action against any members who accepted nominations in the Committee of Action appointed at an Outlaw Convention which planned to form “The Miner’s Industrial Union.”

A piece of flying steel at the machine shop caused the loss of one of “Brownie” Burden’s eyes. He was rushed to the local hospital and later the morning train was delayed as plans were made to rush him to the Amherst Hospital where an operation was found necessary.

The Tigers and Crystals were batting for the town hockey title.

Jack Dempsey scored a technical knockout over Phil Scott at Miami.

Rev. John M.C. Wilson presented the annual report of All Saints Hospital which showed that during the year 1159 patients were admitted to the hospital. The average time of a patient in hospital was 10.6 days; average patients per day was 34.4. The cost per patient was $1.88. This was broken down as follows: salaries 55c, food 66c, coal and lights 14c, supplies and drugs 30c, contingent 23c.

The Quarterly School Report for Grade X1 showed G. Pettigrew leading the class with an average of 87.2, closely followed by B. Campbell with 85.6 and E. O’Rourke with 83.3

Pat Crowe is a member of the Springhill Heritage Group. To learn more or read past article of the Heritage Corner, visit

Recent Stories