Top News

Spring Street fire displaces seven

AMHERST – Seven people were displaced by a house fire that sent one man to hospital with smoke inhalation Wednesday afternoon in Amherst.

The two-story home, located at 56 Spring Street, contained three apartments and was almost completely gutted.

Disaster volunteers with the Canadian Red Cross have arranged emergency lodging, food, clothing purchases and other support to a woman from one apartment, and for a woman, her daughter, son and two grandchildren from a second unit.

A man living in the third unit was being treated at hospital and once released will receive similar Red Cross help.

The Amherst Fire Department were called to the scene just after 3 p.m. and left at 6:30 p.m.

The reason for the fire remains under investigation.

Recent Stories