It’s going to be pretty cool this winter in Amherst.
This week stakeholders and partners behind this year’s fourth annual winter carnival met at the Credit Union Business Innovation Centre – also known as CUBIC – to usher in the 102 events themed Celebrating Heart, Culture and Play and zero-in on some of the major highlights scheduled between Tues, Feb. 13 and Mon, Feb. 19.
Amherst Recreation Director Bill Schurman lauded the community, local businesses and volunteers who stepped up to support this year’s endeavour and the expected spinoffs.
“Besides the economic and social benefits to the community they give us an opportunity for community pride, Schurman said.
Amherst is positioned to harness traffic to-and-from the province, and Schurman said he thinks the growing success of the community’s winter carnival will play a role in not only motivating residents to enjoy the winter locally, but attract newcomers.
“We’re a border town and lots of traffic drives by. Everybody says how do we get them to stop. Well, part of it is you got to wave your flag. Tell people what we do and how good we are at things. There is nothing wrong with that. The more we can Tweet that, the more we can Facebook that, the more we wear our [branded] buttons and wear our hats – all of these things help and eventually people will say ‘What’s going on in Amherst?’”
What will be happening is a whole lot, and the meet and greet highlighted some of the bigger events expected to capture attention this year.
Tues, Feb. 13
• Full of Life Pickle Ball, 10 a.m. at the YMCA of Cumberland
• Entrepenurs on Purpose workshop, 3 p.m. at Cumberland Credit Union Business Innovation Centre [CUBIC]
• Cooking Class with Simply for Life, 6:30 p.m. at Art of Eating Deli
Family Violence Prevention Week Coffee House, 7 p.m. CUBIC
Wed, Feb. 14
• Family Swim, 9:30 a.m., YMCA
• Ed Ratelle, Hypsotism Comedy Show, 8 p.m. CUBIC, [Tickets are $15]
Thurs, Feb. 15
• Snowman Hooking Workshop, 11 a.m. at Deanne Fitzpatrick Studio
• Snore Shop Lunch and Learn, 12 p.m. CUBIC
• Art Party: Black and White Forest, 6:30 p.m., Old Warehouse Café and Lounge
• Giant Bingo, 6:45 p.m., Lion’s Den
Fri, Feb. 16
• Steak N’ Stein with Mike Blakeney, 5:30 p.m., Bella’s Café and Bistro
• Firefighter’s Bingo, 6 p.m., Amherst Fire Hall
• Chocolate & Wine Pairings, 7 p.m., Apothic Inn [Tickets are $35, or $50 for two]
Sat, Feb. 17
• 4th Annual Valentine Run, 9 a.m., West Highlands School
• Chili Challenge, 11:30 a.m., Dayle’s Grand Market
• Hawaiian Luau Outdoor Skating Party 2 p.m., corner of Victoria and Maple
• Shakespeare: A Musical Comedy, 4 p.m., CUBIC
• Love Letters: Theatre and Desserts, 7 p.m., CUBIC
Sun, Feb. 18
• Children’s Wish Foundation Breakfast, 8 a.m., Lion’s Den
• Outdoor Play Day, 1 p.m., Victoria Square
• Doggie Social with Dogs to Divas, 1 p.m., Off-leash dog park, Robb’s Complex
• Bouncy Castle, 2 p.m., YMCA
• Horse and Wagon Rides, 2 p.m., Victoria Square
Mon, Feb. 19
• Heritage Fair and Traditional Crafts Demo, 10 a.m., CUBIC