Top News

Jan. 26, 1950: Springhill RCMP Have Patrol Car Radio

['<p>Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe</p>']
['<p>Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe</p>']

Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe

It has been observed that the patrol car of the RCMP detachment is now equipped with short-wave radio, in line with the recent province-wide program for stepping up efficiency by means of installing the force’s vehicles with radio communications equipment.

General comment seems to indicate that collective opinion is overwhelming in favor of the move, with many criticizing the tardiness of officialdom in the recognizing and/or modernizing of the communications set-up of Canada’s federal police force. This improvement thus means partial elimination of the Canadian’s “country cousin” complex towards Americans, who for years have been shipping across the border many movies which included the familiar “calling all cars” dialogue.

Build Coal Shed For Verna’s New Home

Mr. Cecil Rogers, Sr., and his son Leslie, with some assistance from Mr. Horace McCarthy, have built a roomy coal shed for the new home of Verna Jean Fisher. Scrap lumber was donated by the Rink Association; D.H. Ryan provided some matched lumber and Mr. Fred Gough gave a roll of tar paper.

So far the shed is covered with the tar paper only, and should really have more sturdy protection. The possibility is that some person may have scrap pieces of roofing and shingles left over from building and would donate them, so these really good neighbors of Verna’s could complete a really good job.

Casey Home Gutted By Fire

Little was salvaged Saturday evening when Springhill’s fifth fire of last week badly gutted the inside of Mrs. Catherine Casey’s home, Cowan Street, while all four occupants were away. The fire did not break through to the outside of the house, and firemen had it in complete control within forty minutes of the alarm at seven-thirty. Partial insurance was carried on both the building and furnishings.

Firemen returned to the smoldering home about ten o’clock and dealt with a threatened outbreak between the floors.

Mrs. Casey is not staying with friends, Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Tabor, Herrett Rd., a son Reginald is at the home of his sister, Mrs. William McCormick; and a daughter Catherine has been moved to the home of another daughter, Mrs. Les Reid. Mr. Frank Clemson, who rented the upstairs of the Casey home, is also staying with the Reid’s.

“Twenty Years Ago’

Springhill, N.S. Jan. 24, 1930

John C. Nicholson, acting superintendent of mines for the British Steel Corporation since the death of the late J.J. McDougall, has been appointed general superintendent of mines. Mr. Nicholson will have direct supervision over the mining activities of the collieries of the Dominion Coal Company, the Nova Scotia Steel and Coal Corporation and the Cumberland Railway and Coal Company. Mr. Nicholson was superintendent at Springhill for several years and connected with the mines before the Besco merger.

Kenny Maddison suffered injury to his right hand when he was caught in the tugger rope as he worked on the railroad. Kenny was having a car pulled into position on the culm road and rapped for slack which the engine driver gave him but tightened up suddenly and caught Maddison’s hand. He was rushed to the hospital for treatment.

Women’s overshoes in fawn, brown and black were being sold by Sprague’s for $1.75 pair. Two pair of silk hose could be bought for $1.00.

The Record recorded the death of Daniel McLeod, a pioneer and outstanding citizen of Springhill. He was 80 years of age. When the town was incorporated in 1888 Mr. McLeod was offered the position of Town Clerk, a position he filled for 35 years when failing health necessitated his retirement in August 1923. At one time Mr. McLeod published the “Cumberland Star.” He also served in the provincial legislature.

A big Fairchild 71 plane, carrying mail from the Magdalene Islands landed on the lake at Parrsboro. The crew got lost in a haze and after two hours landed in Parrsboro.

Roof Fire Quickly Extinguished

A roof fire at the home of Mr. Harry Silvea, Herrett Road, about 1:30 Tuesday afternoon was quickly extinguished with the help of neighbors. Although the fire department responded to the fire call with their usual alacrity, the fire was out by the time they arrived on the scene.

It was thought that the fire was caused by sparks from the chimney, which lodged in the shingles and were quickly fanned into flame by the prevailing high wind. According to a member of the fire brigade, damage was restricted to a patch of shingles about six feet square.

The fire department made a fast run to the scene being out on the road in two minutes.

Pat Crowe is a member of the Springhill Heritage Group. To learn more or read past article of the Heritage Corner, visit www.springhillheritage.ca.

Recent Stories