Scotians hockey player released from hospital, investigation continues

Published on October 12, 2016

This photo of Luke Spicer was posted to the Scotians Facebook page, stating that he is doing well and is on track for a full recovery.  

TRENTON, NS - Police are still investigating an on-ice incident that sent a Pictou County Junior Scotians player to hospital on Sunday night.

In the first period of the Scotians’ 7-5 loss against the Glace Bay Miners at Trenton rink, 18-year-old Luke Spicer suffered head and body injuries when he fell to the ice after alleged contact with a Miners player. He was taken to the QEII Health Sciences Centre in Halifax with head and body injuries.

RELATED: Police investigating after Scotians player injured during hockey game

“The investigation is in its preliminary stages, the officers are interviewing witnesses and gathering information,” said Const. Ken MacDonald of New Glasgow Regional Police.

Spicer has since been released from hospital, but Scotians officials said on Wednesday that there is no clear timeline for his return to the lineup.

According to a release from the team Spicer suffered head and shoulder injuries. He is now at home on bed rest and strict medical conditions.

"Luke has suffered serious injuries and as everyday continues, he improves," the release states. "He will not be returning to university for the rest of the term year and will require therapy over the next few months."

Police wouldn’t release the name of the Miners player at the centre of the investigation, but Jordan Breen, 18, is listed on the Nova Scotia Junior Hockey League website as having been assessed a match penalty for a first-period incident in that game.

The league also handed Breen an indefinite suspension.

Police are asking anyone who took photos or video, or who witnessed the incident to call the New Glasgow Regional Police Major Crime Unit at 902-752-1941.

Spicer has three goals and three assists in eight games with the Scotians.

Pictou County and Glace Bay will play each other Saturday night in Cape Breton.