Ramblers edge Crushers in New Glasgow

Published on February 15, 2017

Yarmouth’s Noah McMullin was assessed a penalty after sending the Ramblers Brock McEwen flying with this crosscheck to the back Saturday night at Amherst Stadium.

©Dave Mathieson - TC Media

AMHERST – The Amherst CIBC Wood Gundy Ramblers beat the top team in the Maritime Hockey League Sunday night in New Glasgow, beating the Pictou County Weeks Crushers 4-3.

Layton Parsons led the Ramblers with two goals, and Julian Galloway stopped 35 of the 38 shots he faced.

First Period

Nathan Sanderson scored the only goal of the first period, giving the Crushers a 1-0 lead.

Second Period

Parsons scored the first of his two goals at 7:59 into the second tying the game 1-1 off passes from Chad Bannister and Felix LeBlanc.

Jesse Dunn put the Ramblers up 2-1 a little over three minutes later off assists from Jordan King and Matt LaPointe.

Alexis Roy, who is second in the MHL point race, tied the game 2-2 and that’s how the second period ended.

Third Period

Grant Janes put the Ramblers up 3-2 at 42 seconds into the third off feeds rom LaPointe and King.

Parsons then scored our minutes later, giving the Ramblers a 4-2 lead off passes from Janes and Keenan Wedge-Jourdrey.

Dylan Riley scored near the midway point of the period, and the game ended with the Ramblers winning 4-3.


The Ramblers were outshot 38-24.


Game attendance was 761.


The Ramblers were coming off two straight losses, a 7-2 loss to the Crushers on Wednesday and a 5-1 loss to the Yarmouth Mariners on Saturday. Both games were played at Amherst Stadium.

Sundays win gives the Ramblers 54 points, two behind the Truro Bearcats, four behind the Mariners and six behind the Crushers.

Point leaders

Matt LaPointe is fourth on the MHL point board with 63 points, 28 goals and 35 assists, Jordan King is fifth with 60 points, 21 goals and 39 assists, and Parsons is 25th with 37 points, 12 goals and 25 assists.

Ramblers vs. Mariners

Matt LaPointe scored the first goal of the game Saturday night at Amherst Stadium, giving the Ramblers a 1-0 lead over the Yarmouth Mariners.

From then on in, it was all Mariners, who went on to win the game 5-1.

The Mariners scored two goals in the first period, taking a 2-1 lead, they scored one in the second period, taking a 3-1 lead, and then they scored two in the third, winning the game 5-1. The final goal was scored on an empty net.


Daryl MacCallum played in net for the Ramblers, stopping 32 of the 36 shots he faced.

His teammates had 26 shots on Mariners goaltender Leif Hertz.


Game attendance was 1,021.

Upcoming games

The Ramblers are in Truro Friday and return home Saturday to host the Dieppe Commandos at 7 p.m.