Mariners beat Ramblers 5-1

Published on February 11, 2017

Julian Makary goes for the puck while Matt LaPointe follows the play Saturday night at Amherst Stadium.

©Dave Mathieson - TC Media

AMHERST, N.S. – Matt LaPointe scored the first goal of the game Saturday night at Amherst Stadium, giving the CIBC Wood Gundy Ramblers a 1-0 lead over the Yarmouth Mariners.

From then on in, it was all Mariners.

The Mariners scored two in the first period, taking a 2-1 lead, they scored one in the second period, taking a 3-1 lead, and then they scored two in the third, winning the game 5-1. The final goal was scored on an empty net.

Josh Fitzgerald squeezed between the a Mariners defender and the goaltender to get this backhand shot off.

©Dave Mathieson - TC Media


Daryl MacCallum played in net for the Ramblers, stopping 32 of the 36 shots he faced.

His teammates had 26 shots on Mariners goaltender Leif Hertz.

Brock McEwen drew a penalty on this cross check from behind.

© Dave Mathieson - TC Media


Game attendance was 1,021.

Jordan King takes a shot.

©Dave Mathieson - TC Media


With the loss the Ramblers remain in fourth place in the Maritime Hockey League’s Eastlink South Division with 52 points.

The Mariners and Truro Bearcats both have 56 points in the South Division, and the Pictou County Weeks Crushers lead the league with 60 points

Dawson Grenier skates between two Mariners defenders.

©Dave Mathieson - TC Media

Upcoming games

The Ramblers are scheduled to play in New Glasgow Sunday but the impending storm may cancel the game.

The Ramblers are in Truro Friday and return home Saturday to host the Dieppe Commandos at 7 p.m.

The Ramblers race up the ice.

©Dave Mathieson - TC Media

Matt LaPointe takes a slap shot. LaPointe scored the only Ramblers goal of the game off passes from Josh Fitzgerald and Jordan King.

©Dave Mathieson - TC Media

LaPointe got into a fight with a little over two minutes left in the game.

© Dave Mathieson - TC Media

Jeff LeBlanc, Ramblers head coach and general manager, leads the team onto the ice for the third period followed by assistant coach Jeff Walsh.

©Dave Mathieson - TC Media