Baillie calls for studies into Springhill finances, resources and citizen input

Appears before utility and review board hearing on Wednesday

Jamie Baillie, PC Party leader and the MLA for Cumberland South, says residents need to have input into any decision on the town's future.

SPRINGHILL – Cumberland South MLA, Jamie Baillie, says residents should have official input in the decision to dissolve the Town of Springhill.

On Wednesday, Baillie voiced his constituents’ concerns during the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board public hearing on the future of Springhill.

“Springhillers want their say in this important decision,” said Baillie. “Without public consultation, voluntary amalgamation doesn’t exist. The board needs to conduct a full analysis of how best to seek direct public input, so a fair, democratic decision can be made.”

Baillie says conflicting reports have caused unnecessary stress to the town’s residents and the UARB needs to complete proper due diligence before holding a formal hearing.

“Residents are increasingly frustrated by talk of doom and gloom and the flood of confusing and contradictory financial reports presented to date,” said Baillie. “Springhill will need a clear, concise, independent audit of the town’s financial position, before residents can be at peace with a decision.”

Baillie says it’s the board’s responsibility to ensure town resources are protected.

“Are we stronger together or not? Are our economic and community assets more secure, or less? asked Baillie. “These are important questions for the board to study. Only when all of the proper research is conducted and the public’s voice is heard, will residents will have the peace of mind they deserve. Regardless of the outcome, Springhill will always be Springhill.”

The people of Springhill are strong and they resilient, Baillie concluded. No matter the outcome of this application, they will persevere.

Organizations: Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board

Comments

Comments

• Joseph Brown
    June 20, 2014 - 13:53

Yes well, thats all nice if you are trying to prove I vote Liberal......but......the issue at hand is Jamie Baillie's two faces ! It is not me on the CBC saying I would force this on every community in NS. The same as its not my father. Its Jamie Baillie. It is not me or my father up in front of the crowd in Springhill saying " the people should have a say ". It was Jamie Baillie...... So thank you for noticing my Bright Red Liberal Stripe up my back ! Very proud of it !

• more of the same
    June 20, 2014 - 09:24

One of the very recent business ideas for Springhill recovery is to reopen JB's Steakhouse as JB's Waffle House . The menu so far consists of . 1. Jamie's Forced Waffle 2. Jamie's Voluntary Waffle 3. Jamie's Voluntary Forced Waffle 4. Jamie's Stooge Waffle 5. Jamie's All Over The Park Waffle 6. Jamie's Over The Heads of All politicians but me Waffle 7. Jamie's Necessary Ivany Report but not Necessarily Ivany Report Waffle 8. Jamie's I am Only running in Cumb. South once Waffle 9. Jamie's Special Waffle ( available on request of a select few ) 10. Jamie's Awful Waffle ( largest waffle ever in Nova Scotia )

• Jim Legere
    June 19, 2014 - 21:56

It's about time people in Cumberland South woke up to Mr Baillie. Now don't forget when its time to put your X on a little piece of paper called a ballot.

• Silas
    June 19, 2014 - 10:25

That being said I would cut an arm off before I voted for Jenny Khon Jackson... Oops, did I spell that right...

• gary brown
      June 19, 2014 - 14:21

mow your own grass at your camp this year

• Silas
    June 19, 2014 - 09:44

Why do they have a picture of the guy who does the Brick commercials? Oh wait thats Jamie (two face) Baillie. You Browns are just too much, a little sour are we, that Guy is gone and you guys are not getting you due patronage? Take your BB money and go to Florida or something.

• gary brown
      June 19, 2014 - 10:48

another one jealous ,misinformed and using the keyboard to hide his identity. I personally do not need to go to Flordia like my father before me I content here on Lynn Mountain enjoying the fruits of my labour . ENJOY

• jerry
    June 19, 2014 - 08:08

This is rich, coming from the very politician who advocated only a few months ago amalgamating every municipality to the county level. What's the best saying that applies to Jamie? Oh yeah.... YOU CAN'T SUCK AND BLOW AT THE SAME TIME.... Get on with the Springhill - County amalgamation. This has gone on long enough.

• more of the same
      June 19, 2014 - 14:10

Did Jamie say he wanted the UARB to go over the town politician's heads or did he say that he is in over his head ?

• more of the same
    June 18, 2014 - 22:13

Jamie seems totally lost . He makes the macho speech in Amherst about The Premier " taking a walk in the park " as he puts it . However, next door in the County and Springhill amalgamation issue he is all over the park with his changing story .. The Premier can't believe his luck to have this fellow as Official Leader of the Opposition ...McNeil will likely lend Jamie sufficient voting members to maintain the opposition leader status making up for those that are jumping the Tory ship ....

• Former Springhiller
    June 18, 2014 - 21:33

Gary and Joe. It's people like you who made me realize how narrow minded Springhill really is. Your rude comments and relentless attacks on facebook is truly entertaining. You are the antithesis of the tenets of the Liberal party. You're quick to blame the Tories but let's not forget your beloved Guy Brown was a longtime MLA and a former mayor. Your gripes about the county and the town didn't happened overnight. Think about that for a minute.

• gary brown
      June 19, 2014 - 06:12

not blaming any party , do not believe in politicians carrying a carpet bag .another thing i have no problem with is signing my comments with my name not hiding

• gary brown
    June 18, 2014 - 18:48

Jamie Who

• Dave
    June 18, 2014 - 17:05

Why doesn't this loser go back to where he came from!! I supported Scott when he was in however I think the people of Cumberland South would have been better off with Jackson!!!!

• Joseph Brown
    June 18, 2014 - 16:09

Does Mr Baillie understand that when he talks into a microphone it records the words that come out of his mouth? He is on record on more than one occasion saying he would force this on every town in NS. that right force ! here is the link http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local+Shows/Maritimes/Information+Morning+-+NS/ID/2441549014/ Like the sneak that he is, flip flopping on an important issue , standing on the hopes and prayers of locals to feathers is political next ! sit down Jamie ! you're talking out your A$$ again !

• Citizen Joe
      June 19, 2014 - 21:33

Jamie Baillie is at it again, saying one thing and meaning another. I have always voted Conservative, except when I had the opportunity to vote for Guy Brown, now there was an honest politician that helped everyone. The last thing we need in Springhill is a plebiscite, because the whole process is tainted with the bulling and slanderous remarks made by members of the Concerned Citizens Committee towards anyone that opposed them as well as members of Council. Once the Town Council stated that the police force was going to be replaced by the RCMP on April 1, 2014, it became the Concerned Citizen's Committee objective to get rid of the present Town Council so they could force another election and select their own people to run for Council, so in turn they would rescind the motion to dissolve and do away with the police dept. Jamie Baillie will never get elected here again(I voted for him both times) and he needs this Riding to stay as an MLA.