Top News

RCMP say fire that gutted Yarmouth eatery may have been intentionally set

["How Chuck's Diner looked Tuesday morning, Aug. 29."]
["How Chuck's Diner looked Tuesday morning, Aug. 29."]

YARMOUTH, N.S. – The RCMP say evidence collected at the scene of a fire that gutted a Yarmouth eatery suggests the fire was intentionally set.

Around 5:20 a.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 29, a fire was discovered at Chuck’s Diner on the Hardscratch Road. Firefighters from several departments battled the blaze, but the diner was extensively damaged.

The Yarmouth Town RCMP and investigators from the Nova Scotia Office of the Fire Marshal examined the scene on Tuesday, as it wasn’t immediately known what the cause of the fire was when firefighters were on the scene.

Chuck's Diner on the Hardscratch Road in Yarmouth County was gutted by an early morning Aug. 29 fire. This photo was taken around 5:20 a.m. as the fire department was also arriving on the scene.

On Wednesday the RCMP confirmed the fire appears to be suspicious.

“Evidence was found suggesting the fire, which gutted Chuck's Diner, was intentionally set,” RCMP spokesperson Corporal Jennifer Clarke said. “Police and fire investigators seized evidence at the scene and interviewed witnesses.”

The building’s owner and staff were among those the police talked with.

The Yarmouth Town RCMP is asking anyone with information about the incident to come forward by contacting the Yarmouth Town RCMP at 902-742-8777 or by contacting Crimestoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

This photo of a fire that gutted Chuck's Diner on the Hardscratch Road in Yarmouth on Aug. 29 was taken around 5:30 a.m.

On Tuesday Yarmouth Fire Department Platoon Chief Lynn Seeley said a call came in about the fire at around 5:20 a.m. He said the call came in from the RCMP. Seeley said the fire was fully involved when firefighters arrived on the scene. There was concern of it spreading to an adjacent business, but firefighters were able to prevent that from happening.

On the Chuck’s Diner Facebook page Tuesday, a message to the public and customers was posted: “Everyone is ok. If you haven't heard yet, Chuck’s Diner has had a fire. The building is gone. We will post more as soon as we can. There is a lot of damage. At this point we don't know what is going on, but as soon as we do we will let everyone know.”

In response, many people left comments saying they were sad to hear the news of the fire and that they hope the owner will consider rebuilding.

 

 

Recent Stories