Sections

Armed Forces ‘Proud Boys’ keep their jobs: military


Published on August 31, 2017

A statue of Edward Cornwallis sits in his namesake park in downtown Halifax.

©SaltWire Network

HALIFAX, N.S. — The Canadian Armed Forces ruled Thursday that four military members and self-styled ‘Proud Boys’ who disrupted a Mi’kmaq ceremony in Halifax on July 1 can keep their jobs.

A fifth member of the group involved in the incident has already left the CAF, but Rear-Admiral John Newton said the remaining four had been reminded of the military’s expected ethical standards and conduct.

The investigation has now been completed, and no criminal charges will be laid.

Rear-Admiral John Newton

“Any further inappropriate behavior could result in their termination from the Canadian Armed Forces,” warned Newton in a media statement.

The CAF launched a military police investigation after the incident in Cornwallis Park, where Mi’kmaq members were holding a spiritual ceremony at the statue of Edward Cornwallis, a historical figure known for his brutal treatment of First Nations people.

During the investigation, the military members were relieved of their duties and re-assigned to other jobs, pending its results.

“The investigation has now been completed, and no criminal charges will be laid,” said Newton.

The remaining four members will now return to their operational units and regular duties.