Tanner’s arrest was the result of smart work on the part of Deputy Chief Leo MacDonald of the local police force. The Deputy Chief was making his rounds of the business premises about 3:30 a.m. when he heard a car coming up Main Street. It was a light grey car which he had been warned to watch for. Flashing his light and stepping out on the road the officer signalled the driver to stop, but instead of stopping he swerved the car and stepped on the gas.
An alarm was rung into Amherst and the Deputy hopped into the Town truck and gave pursuit. The Amherst Police had blocked the road over the Fenwick Mountain and had their man in custody when MacDonald arrived. Tanner was taken to Amherst jail and the following day the Truro Chief took him back to Truro for trial.
Daylight Saving Time in Effect Monday
Daylight Saving Time will go into effect in Springhill at one minute past midnight Sunday night, April 28th, and will continue in effect until September 28th. An official announcement to this effect appears on another page in this issue.
In adopting Daylight Saving Time Springhill will be in line with other towns throughout the County and the Province. It will do away with the old confusion which existed year after year and became an aggravation to everyone.
New Industry Opens in Springhill
May 1, 1947 – The Springhill Bottling Works are getting into production early next week at the plant formerly occupied by Wm. Rector on the Herrett Road. Proprietors of the new business will be Arthur Pettigrew and Aubrey Bird, who recently purchased a plant in Amherst and moved it to Springhill.
The new Bottling Plant will require the support of local business houses if it is to be a success and local dealers should assist in everything possible to build up this new industry for Springhill.
Good luck to Pettigrew and Bird in their new venture.
Sleet Storm Damage Runs into Thousands
May 8, 1947 – A belated sleet storm hit Springhill May 1st., causing extensive damage to power and telephone lines running into thousands of dollars. The storm continued throughout Friday but abated Saturday as repair crews summoned from all parts of the province struggled in the rain and the sleet to repair the lines.
Worst in Years
It was probably the worst sleet storm ever experienced in this part of the province and the brunt of the storm settled in Springhill where telephone poles snapped like matchwood and scattered lines all over the street. On Hospital Street, probably one of the shortest streets in town, five telephone poles snapped under the terrific strain of wires and ice. Three more poles went down of Pleasant Street, one on Chapel Street and one at Windham on the toll line.
Power Lines Break
The power lines started to fail about two o’clock Thursday afternoon when one of the main cables leading into town snapped cutting off all power. Local crews were rushed to the scene of the damage and before the repairs were affected the lines throughout the town began to go in every section. Main Street stood the test better than any other section. Everywhere one went wires from either the power lines or telephone lines were dangling around the streets.
It was 8 p.m. before the power was turned on again on Main St., but before this could be done it was necessary to cut off most of the streets, particularly where the lines were down. Most homes were without light or power Thursday evening and candles, lanterns and oil lamps glowed everywhere.
Commenting on the damage officials of the Edison Electric Light and Power Company stated their cost would run well over $10,000.
In an effort to get their services operating again Edison Electric rushed materials to Springhill from its many subsidiaries throughout the province and crews worked desperately to get power circulating. An extra crew of eight men were sent here to assist in the work.
Get Quick Start
The Telephone Company also got away to a quick start. The first break came about 2 o’clock and by five they had an extra construction crew working on the damage. A short time later additional crews arrived and by Friday they had four construction crews of six men each and two light crews trying to bring order out of the chaos. Never in the history of Springhill were telephone lines in such a mess and through the drizzling rain men clad in rubber boots, coats and hats worked ceaselessly.
By Sunday evening some 250 phones which had been out of order were back in service and everything was working smoothly except Hospital Street where cable was run to provide service.
In charge of the work was Superintendent Marshall Woodside of New Glasgow and J.F. Boyd, section foreman, of Amherst. Clyde Dickie, in charge of local repairs, worked ceaselessly.
Never in the history of the town did the trees take such a beating. Everywhere huge limbs snapped off the trees like toothpicks and danger lurked under every tree. One lady struck by a falling limb had her glasses broken and cars and trucks were dented as they stood parked under the trees. When the storm had cleared Saturday morning the streets were covered with debris. The falling limbs were responsible in no small measure to damage to both power and telephone lines.
It was Sunday night and Monday morning before service was fully resumed by both companies.
This week’s five facts about Springhill
81. Jacob Allen built Saint Andrew’s Church, under the personal supervision of A.E. Fraser. The Church seated 650 and was completed in 1884
82. A.W. Brown built the Roman Catholic Glebe House about 1888
83. The artist George Lynds (originally from Hantsport) was the decorator of t. John The Baptist Roman Catholic Church when it was constructed. When it was completed it was considered one of the finest in the Maritimes
84. In 1922 when the pipe organ was being installed in St. Andrew’s Church, a 7ft. high cross was found under the platform. It had originally been intended for the steeple but the plans were changed and the cross disappeared. It is thought that the builder who constructed it, in reverence, could not destroy it and placed it under the platform
85. The West End School was built in 1891 and was in use until it burned in 1958