AMHERST – It was in the late summer of 1906 when the cornerstone of the present church building situated on the corner of Havelock and Ratchford streets, Amherst, NS was laid, and one year later on Sept. 22, 1907, Trinity Methodist Church congregation officially opened and dedicated its new building.
From local newspaper reports from that day, we can learn that at the evening dedication service the pews were filled and overflowed and the event was described as “a great day in the religious history of Amherst.”
In 1925, the year of Church Union, both the Trinity Methodist Church and St. Stephen’s Presbyterian Church across town became a part of the United Church of Canada.
In 1936 the congregations at Trinity United and St Stephen’s United begin meeting together in the former Methodist church, and so it was, the start of a new congregation in the town of Amherst — Trinity-St. Stephen’s United Church.
This coming Sunday, October 29, the congregation will be recognizing this important date and celebrating its history during a special anniversary service of worship.
Although it is unrealistic to expect the church sanctuary will be filled to ‘overflowing’ as it was in 1907, for this coming Sunday morning service the church elders would like to extend a special invitation to all church members and associate members to be present and all are welcome to attend.
Invited guest speaker for the 110th Anniversary Service is the Rev. Catherine Crooks of Charlottetown, P.E.I., where she is in a team ministry at the Trinity-Clifton Pastoral Charge.
She holds a bachelor of music and masters of divinity degrees, and followed the degrees with post-graduate studies at the Toronto School of Theology.
Before her call to Charlottetown, she served with the Tatamagouche Pastoral Charge, Royal York United Church in Etobicoke, Ont. and United Church of Christ congregations in Minneapolis, Minn.
Jeff Joudrey, the musical director of music at Trinity-St. Stephen's United Church, is working with the senior choir to present special music for the anniversary service and The Trinity Youth Singers are expected to be a part of the musical mix.
This special Sunday service of worship on Oct. 29 is at 10:30 a.m. All are welcome to come and join with the congregation for this special event.
The service will air on Eastlink TV the following Sunday and will be available mid-week on YouTube.
Trinity St. Stephen’s United Church Time Line
1780: Rev. William Black preaches Methodism in Cumberland County.
1781: Date of oldest tombstone in the Presbyterian Cemetery, West Amherst.
1807: Wesleyan Chapel built in Fort Lawrence.
1830: Presbyterian meeting house built in West Amherst.
1841: Methodist Church opens at 200 East Victoria Street.
1876: Trinity Methodist builds church at corner of Ratchford & Havelock streets.
1883: St. Stephen’s Presbyterian Church built on corner of Lawrence & Victoria streets.
1906: Trinity Methodist Church replaces wooden building with current, red sandstone church.
1925: United Church of Canada formed from Canadian Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches.
1936: Merged congregations of Trinity and St. Stephen’s hold services together at Trinity Church, now known as Trinity-St. Stephen’s United Church.