Top News

Feb. 5, 1948: Forced to draw fires at the hospital

['<p>Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe</p>']
['<p>Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe</p>']

Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe

The water situation was so bad in Springhill Wednesday that All Saints Hospital was forced to draw the fires from its furnaces.  Patients, nurses and doctors were forced to work under distressing conditions – because in some sections of the town water taps were permitted to run indiscriminately and for long periods with the resultant waste of water.

It was late Wednesday evening when Councillor Noiles, Chairman of the Water Committee, Supt. Terris and Charlie Atkinson, plumber, were able, by shutting down certain sections to build up enough pressure to service the institution.  For drinking water the hospital has an automatic pump connected to a well, but this will not service the boilers.

Situation Serious

In an announcement on Page 5 Chairman Noiles appeals for the co-operation of the citizens to overcome this unnecessary condition.  He tells The Record there is lots of water coming into the town from the dams, but the mains are not large enough to build up a reserve in the water tank against the steady drain of running taps.  This morning the big reservoir on the hill was so dry that workers removed the manhole cover at the base of the tank.  Without a reserve in the tank it is impossible to service the higher levels of the town. 

A Personal Responsibility

The situation has not reached that of a personal responsibility.  It is almost impossible to check taps running into the sewer while several feet of snow cover the shutoff, and the hospital, citizens on the higher levels; and the town again appeals for the co-operation of those who are deliberately wasting water to help them correct a most serious situation.  It is bad enough to be without drinking water but the danger that whole sections of the town, leaves people fearful of fire, without water protection, 

Could easily be wiped out.

Miss Gloria Condy Receives Cap

Mrs. Boni Condy spent last week in Halifax and Truro where she visited her son Buddie at Dalhousie College and daughter Gloria, a student nurse at Halifax Infirmary, who received her cap along with twenty-three other student nurses.

On their return Mrs. Condy spent a few days with her daughter Yola, of Success Business College of Truro. 

Feb. 12, 1948 – Bad Break in Water System

A bad break in the water line was discovered this morning on the six inch line leading into the Company meter house.  The water has been shut off in this section and repairs are underway, but it is expected to take 24 hours to make repairs. 

The water had been breaking through near the railway far from the break and little action had been paid to it until this morning when officials became convinced it must be coming from a break in the pipe.  Closer checking revealed a broken pipe entering the meter house.

During the week the water situation on the higher levels has been particularly serious.  At times, the Hospital, as well as other homes, have been without water even for their boilers.

Citizens will realize the necessity of saving as much water as possible where the pressure is good, in order that some that some relief to those who have been without water altogether.

Maritime T.& T. Co. Surveying Town

Mr. Clarence Goudge, Local Superintendent for the Maritime Telegraph and Telephone Company, accompanied by Mr. H.N. Coll, were in town Monday.  During an interview Mr. Goudge told The Record that Mr. Coll was doing a survey of Springhill to find the number of homes interested in installing the dial telephone system. 

Commenting on the new building being erected, Mr. Goudge stated it was not expected to be ready until toward the end of 1949, due to the shortage of equipment.  In the meantime, those who have phones will decide whether or not they want the dial system installed in town.  Sixty percent of the subscribers must support the change.

Harvey Somers Home Gutted by Fire

Fire, said to have started from an overheated pipe gutted the home of Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Somers, McGee St., about 10 a.m. Monday morning. 

In a temperature of about 15 below, with a cold wind sweeping down the street from the west, the firemen battled valiantly to save the structure, but the fire had got a big start between the walls and after two hours of battling, only a shell remained.  Only a little of Somers’ furniture on the first floor was saved, while Michael Howlett and his mother living on the second floor didn’t have time to get anything out before the smoke drove them from the building.

Pat Crowe is a member of the Springhill Heritage Group. To learn more or read past article of the Heritage Corner, visit

Recent Stories