Top News

Remembrance Day ceremonies coming up in Wallace, Malagash and elsewhere

['Malagash Area Notes with Marian Durling']
['Malagash Area Notes with Marian Durling']

Malagash News with Marian Durling

Greetings everyone. It is the start of another week and it will be a busy one in our area.

Right now the wind is blowing very hard, but the temperature is quite mild for this time of year. In the wee hours of the night a couple of days ago I was awaken by a large bang and in the morning found that a railing planter packed full of ivy had been blown off the upstairs balcony and was laying on the ground right outside our bedroom window.

How this happened we will never know as other plants there were still intact! If we don't have a heavy frost this week then there will be lots of colour at the cenotaph for the Remembrance Day service.

Jannie and Peter Berkelaar have returned home after visiting daughter, Julie and her family in Ottawa. According to Jannie they had a wonderful time and were able to attend a musical event in an Anglican church there and spent quality time with their grandchildren.

Clarence and Helen Duggan have returned from a trip to Ontario. They helped Peter and Val Mortenson with their relocation by transporting a trailer of their goods for them.

While in Ontario, they visited Clarence's brother Jack and his wife, Claudette in Oshawa. Val and Peter have moved to an assisted living building in Huntsville and apparently are settling in quite well. The residence sounds like it is a perfect match for this couple – bridge, musical events, all meals provided, etc. I am sure the Chowder House in Tatamagouche and McMahon's in Wallace miss Val and Peter.

Exciting news for young ladies ages 14 to 24 – Michelle Obama is going to be appearing in Toronto and young ladies from across Canada are encouraged to enter a contest to win tickets for this event.

I know we have lots of young ladies in our area who would really enjoy this and benefit from this experience. The title of this event is Economics of Equality-Advancing Women and Girls to Change the World. The website is plancanada.ca and the contest opens Nov. 8. It sounded so exciting and wish I was a lot younger. I have sent the information to our 19-year-old granddaughter in Ottawa.

Holly has accompanied her mother, Karen, as a young ambassador, on several World Vision trips to Third World Countries and her blogs have been fantastic. Do you get the impression that I am extremely proud of these two? You bet I am!

Just a reminder that this coming Saturday is Remembrance Day and services are being held all over our province. The annual service here will be held in Malagash United Church at 10 a.m. and following that, everyone will be gathering at the Cenotaph for the Laying of the Wreaths at 11 a.m.

The service in Wallace will be at St. John's United Church at 10:15 a.m., assembling at the Cenotaph for 11 a.m.

There will be lunch available at the Malagash Legion and in the basement of St. John's following the services.

Seven years ago Russ and I attended the national ceremony in Ottawa and I am sure we will be doing it again soon.

Sunday our three churches celebrated All Saints day with a listing of 84 names which members of the congregations wanted remembered. Throughout the service we learned about all kinds of Saints-under the heading: "Yes, there's a Saint for that...", some of which were quite funny! Rev. Connie did a lot of research on the subject – who knew there was a saint for an ear ache!

The community hall is quite active lately with a card party scheduled for Nov. 14, legion dinner on Nov. 11 and a luncheon on Friday, Nov. 17. Have a good week everyone and be safe. Remember hunters are in the woods so if you are going there yourself, please remember to wear your hunter orange. Saw a couple of dogs wearing orange on their walks – smart owners.

Marian Durling is the Malagash and area columnist for the Citizen-Record

Recent Stories