Top News

A visit to Ottawa to see Sid the Kid

['Malagash and Area News with Marian Durling']
['Malagash and Area News with Marian Durling']

Malagash News with Marian Durling

Well as I write this I am watching the Grey Cup from Ottawa playing in the snow!  Russ and I have just returned from a trip to our capital city. 

We had originally intended on being in Ottawa for the game and take our grandson with us but our dates had to be changed and tonight I am thankful. I can't imagine how miserable it would be to sit through a whole game in a snowstorm. 

Russ and I left here on Nov. 12 - our 57th anniversary and drove to Woodstock, N.B., where we spent a few days visiting with his mom, Katherine, 100+, and then on to Ottawa. 

On the 16th, Russ, Thomas and I went to the Canadian Tire Centre to attend an Ottawa Senators hockey game.  They were playing the Pittsburgh Penguins and I was proudly waving my Nova Scotia flag for Sidney Crosby. 

It was a terrific game - lots of noise and hoopla - had a slight headache when it was all over. The Penquins won 3-1.

It’s one more thing off my bucket list ,but with our daughter and her family living in Ottawa, I am sure it won't be our last game.  While we were in the city, we, accompanied by Karen, took a guided tour of Parliament.  I have been there several times before but thoroughly enjoyed the tour. 

Our guide was from Halifax which made it even more interesting. 

We visited the Peace Tower and the Memorial Room where books listing all the names of our men and women who lost their lives during conflicts.

According to our guide, the pages are turned once a day and if we came back one year to the day, we could read the same names.

The Centre Block will soon be under reconstruction and it will be closed to the public for 10 years. The Senate will be moving across the street and the House of Commons to another building.  It does seem strange to have the building closed to the public for that length of time.

Had a delightful phone visit with Linda Brown, daughter of Lloyd and the late Ella Jean, of Pugwash. Linda lives in Ottawa. Looking forward to seeing her when we take another trip to the big city. 

Glad to hear Jocelyn Dobson is recovering on schedule from her recent knee replacement operation. Look forward to seeing her out and around again soon.

Three Harbours Pastoral Charge are holding a very special fundraiser. We are selling homemade Christmas cookies to save you from baking.

Assorted holiday and traditional cookies for $15 (three dozen) a tray. Orders are due by Dec. 9 with pickup/delivery on Saturday, Dec. 16.  Call 902-664-6598 to order or christmascookieorder@gamil.com.   

Malagash Church recently held a draw for a humming bird quilt and it was won by Anna Blakney of Amherst Shore. Congrats Anna. We will be holding another Quilt raffle in the spring. 

Our area was saddened by the recent death of Morag Park Pickard, a former resident of Malagash. Morag, a native of Scotland, was the widow of Major Kenneth Pickard, who passed away several years ago. 

Morag is survived by her daughter, Suzanne and her children, Seth, Jacob and Allie, of Malagash.  She is also survived by her son Bruce and his wife Amy, three children of Ottawa, and son Ian, wife Bernadine and their three children of Halifax. 

All nine grandkids spent a few minutes telling their special memories of Grannie.  

I guess she was a great hockey fan and cheered Sid the Kid quite often when she was in Ottawa.  Two of her grandsons are Maritime hockey players and she was their greatest fan. What a tribute to a fine lady and our sympathy goes out to all the members of her family. Her Celebration of Life was held in Sharon United Church with Rev. Penny Nelson officiating.

Major Ken was a brother to Cam Pickard who passed away recently.  Both were long time residents of Malagash. 

Well the Christmas lights are going up all over the area.  Starting to look really festive. Hopefully we will be able to get some more up - we actually have some in our trees all year round and enjoy lighting them in the middle of summer. Be careful if you are putting up outside decorations - many a slip has happened to people doing that chore.  Be safe and once again watch out for the deer.  They are starting to herd up and sometimes there are more than two crossing the road! 

Marian Durling is the Malagash and area columnist for the Citizen-Record.

Recent Stories