George H. Haystead to be transferred - Feb. 6, 1947

Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe

Published on March 15, 2017

Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe

Announcement has been made of the transfer of Mr. George H. Haystead, Superintendent of the Edison Electric Light and Power Company, to Yarmouth where he will assume the position of Superintendent of the Western Nova Scotia Electric Company, another subsidiary of the Nova Scotia Light and Power Company, but a larger unit than Springhill.

Coming here in June 1932 Mr. Haystead has done much to improve and extend the local service.  As head of the local company he has been ever ready to serve the interest of the company and the people at all hours of the day and night and during the last 15 years he has acquired a large circle of friends who, while regretting his departure from the town, will nevertheless rejoice with him, in his departure to a larger field.

Not only has he done his job well, but he has devoted a great deal of his time to the promotion of sport, particularly baseball. For a time he was associated with the famed Fencebusters and in later years he has acted as Secretary-Treasurer of the Nova Scotia Amateur Baseball Association, associating himself with President A.J. Mason in conducting the affairs of that organization.

Not only will Mr. Haystead be missed in the community, but Mrs. Haystead, also, for she has been prominent in musical circles for many years and a member of All Saints’ Choir. Possessing an outstanding voice also is their son, Jackie, who has aided a great deal in popularizing music among the younger element.

Mr. and Mrs. Haystead and family expect to leave Springhill about the first of May for their new location, but so far Mr. Haystead’s successor has not been named.


Fred Hawker Jr. takes to the air

Mrs. Martha Cameron, of Port Howe, was pleasantly surprised on Saturday afternoon when she went to the door to respond to a knock. She found her son-in-law, Mr. Fred Hawker of New Glasgow, there. Not expecting him, she enquired how he came and so he replied “he flew up.”

Mrs. Hawker (nee Mabel Cameron) being on a visit with relatives in Massachusetts, Freddie decided he would spend the weekend with the Camerons but with the short line train gone and the bus not running he decided to come by air. They made a perfect landing on the ice at Toney Bay, at the foot of the Cameron farm, making the trip in a little less than an hour. This was Freddie’s first experience in flying and found it very thrilling.  He thinks he will buy a cub now instead of a car.

Freddie is well known in town, being the son of Mr. Fred Hawker, Sr.


Local plane lands near Tormentine

Feb. 27, 1947 – When Alex Valentine, piloting Lee Carter’s new Stinson airplane, failed to reach Springhill from Charlottetown Tuesday afternoon and remained unreported until Wednesday morning, concern was expressed for the three persons in the machine. But Wednesday morning the plane landed in Amherst with all passengers safe and sound.

Forced down

Alex Valentine left Springhill just afternoon Tuesday for Charlottetown where the plane is given a weekly engineering check. This is necessary for commercial planes to meet the regulations.  On the trip with the pilot were Mrs. Valentine and James Merrey.

The checkup was late due to the engineer being over in Summerside doing repairs on another plane that had crashed and it was 5 p.m. when the plane left Charlottetown field, just in time to run into the snowstorm. Unable to make headway in the storm Pilot Valentine set the plane down at Speers, six miles from Tormentine, selecting a field which looked suitable. Fortunately, of the three fields in sight, he selected the only one that had not been plowed and stopped his plane only a scant ten feet from the fence.

The party then proceeded to a farmhouse where they spent the night, thinking little or nothing of the incident. The farm had no phone nor did they hear the radio appeal sent out.

Unfortunately, Mrs. Merrey, becoming concerned when the plane failed to return, had a message phoned to the airport at Charlottetown where they discovered the plane had taken off – and the search was on.

Far into the night radio appeals for information were sent out from Charlottetown but not a word came from the missing persons.

After a good night’s sleep Mr. Valentine removed one of the fences, turned up his plane and took off for Amherst where he landed before proceeding to Springhill.

Incidentally the Stinson, said Mr. Carter, the owner, is equipped with two- way radio, but having just recently purchased the machine the radio has not yet been licensed.


This week’s five facts about Springhill

31. In 1909 the Springhill Coal Mines went on strike which lasted 22 months. Soldiers were brought in and quartered in tents between McDougall and McFarlane Streets. The area was all fenced in to protect the soldiers from irate citizens.

32. The Provincial Workingman’s Association opened their own store called the Pioneer Store and a Pioneer Hall which was located where the Library is today.

33. The Provincial Workingman’s Association’s Union Hall was built by members of the Union using stock principal. The land was purchased from William Hall for $180.00. It was approved in December 1881.

34. A total of 423 men and boys lost their lives in the Springhill mines from 1873 to 1970.

35. In 1923 an act was passed forbidding boys under the age of 16 from working in the mines.


TAGLINE: Pat Crowe is a member of the Springhill Heritage Group. To learn more or read past article of the Heritage Corner, visit