Top News

1948: Jim Rushton opens new garage

['<p>Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe</p>']
['<p>Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe</p>']

Heritage Corner with Pat Crowe

Jan. 22, 1948 – Springhill Record

Jim Rushton’s new service station on Mountain Road, two miles from town, recently built by the Irving Oil Company, is now open for business and drawing a good patronage.

The new building, which follows the design of all Irving Oil Service Stations, is finished in white and red trim and presents a pretty picture in its new location.

Two years ago Jim Rushton and Jim Canning opened a service station known as “The Two Jims.” They began in a small way after securing a permit to selling gas. Service was their motto and they were always on the job. Since that time the business has made great progress and their new building stands almost on the same site as their old one. Unfortunately, due to ill health, one of the veterans, James Canning, was forced to withdraw from the business last September.

The new station has very modern convenience to service the traveling public. Combined with a stock room Mr. Rushton has a small modern store with Miss Grace Canning in charge of this department.

The main floor has every facility to repair cars with Messrs. Conrad Spence and Earl Fields in charge of the work. It is Mr. Rushton’s intention to operate the gas pumps himself as before, giving the public the best of attention. He looks forward to the support of his old friends and customers.

Form Home and School Association

Jan. 29, 1948 – A mixed gathering of approximately eighty-five parents and teachers met at the High School last Friday evening and formed a Home and School Association. Me. Lee Carter acted as Chairman and sketched the work done before the meeting by a committee of which he was the head. This committee was chosen at a dinner sponsored by the Kinsmen a short time ago and had undertaken a trip to Truro to see such a group in progress.

Mr. Kirk, assistant director of Vocational Training in Nova Scotia, was introduced by Mr. Carl Demings. In a short humorous address he outlined the need for such organizations in bringing about a closer harmony and understanding between teachers and parents. Such a body is also to study and support progressive education, aid the School Board in improving the schools, and do all in its power to further the development of the community.

Mr. Kirk also outlined the structure of these bodies, and warned the group about lengthy meetings, or lack of a prepared program. Nor is the association to interfere in matters outside its jurisdiction.

The Speaker was thanked by Mr. Frank Bell. Before asking for a motion to form an association, Mr. Carter asked each of the Ministers present to say a few words. Rev. Frank Sinnott, Rev. James Leadbeater and Father Buchanan, all expressed their approval and full support to such an effort.

A motion by Chief Ivan Buchanan, seconded by Mrs. George Reid, that the Springhill Home and School Association be formed, was passed unanimously.

Mr. Demings then read a tentative list of officers and executive as suggested by the Committee. All were approved.They are as follows:

President – Mr. Lee Carter

Vice- Pres. – Rev. Leadbeater

Treasurer – Mr. Claude Carter

Secretary – Miss Kit Campbell

The Executive will consist of: Miss Leida Ross, Miss Mary Gilroy, Father Buchanan, Mayor A.J. Mason, Supervising Principal E.S. Boran, C.J. Allbon, James O. Fairbanks.

As the Association’s year ends in June it was decided the fee for the half year would be 25c.The yearly fee will be decided later.

The next meeting will be held on February 23rd.Further meetings are planned for the last Monday of each month.

School Board Wants Consolidated School

Commissioner Wm. Noiles presided over the regular meeting of the School Board Monday evening. Present were Commissioners Bell, Gornall, McKay and Carter.

An application for a position on the teaching staff was received from Miss Lina Wilson and filed for further reference.

Applications for the position of Janitor were received from Burton Rushton and Ottie Harrison.

An application from the Teacher’s Association for swings at the schools was filed for future reference.

Want Closer Supervision

The matter of closer supervision at schools was raised by Principal E.S. Boran was aired at the meeting and the opinion was expressed that Mr. Boran be relieved two days each week to supervise. The question was finally deferred until the new board is appointed.

Commissioners Gornall, Carter and Bell were appointed a committee to ascertain the cost of remodeling the Grade X room in the High School to make a book room possible.

Seeks Consolidated School

The Board instructed the Secretary to take up with Halifax the question of erecting a consolidated school in Springhill. Copies of the application will be forwarded to K.J. Cochrane, MLA and M.J. Kaufman, MLA.

Pat Crowe is a member of the Springhill Heritage Group. To learn more or read past article of the Heritage Corner, visit www.springhillheritage.ca.

Recent Stories