AMHERST - It's often said that laughter is the best medicine.
Now, the Cumberland YMCA is incorporating laughter into some of its activities by forming a Laughter Club.
Jessica Allen, health, fitness and recreation manager at the Y, said the program is all about releasing one's inner clown.
"Participants will be doing yoga while incorporating laughter and laughter sounds," said Allen, noting it's been psychologically proven that laughter helps with positivity and releasing emotions.
"It also helps improve one's behaviour toward others."
During yoga, Allen said the instructor, who is coming from Moncton for the program, will be using techniques such as chanting, clapping and laughing during the exercise routine.
"Laughter is a gentle exercise that fills the lungs and body with oxygen, and exercises the lungs," she said. "And it's also good for those that don't have some sort of fitness regularly."
The Laughter Club will be held Monday nights at the Y, beginning at 6:30 p.m.
Also new to the Y this season is a Dance, Dance program lead by Amherst's Laura Coleman.
Coleman has an extensive background in dance and has also been skating with Disney on Ice for the past six years.
The Dance, Dance program is available for all ages: Monday for ages 17 and older from 8:45 to 9:45 p.m., Wednesday for teens (13-17), and Saturday from 9 to 9:30 a.m. for those under seven, and ages eight to 12 from 9:30 to 10 a.m.
For more information or to register for the programs, call the YMCA at 667-9112.
Other upcoming events at the Y:
- Friday Night Program: games, crafts, movies, canteen and swimming
- Silly Fit After-School Program: free recreation-based after school program (offered at Cumberland North, Spring Street Academy and West Highlands)
- Just for Tots: 18-months to three years involving socialization, art and gym time, snack time and free play
- Zumba: fuses hypnotic Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves to create a one-of-a-kind fitness program
- Youth Dances
- 2nd Annual Strong Kids Ball Hockey Tournament: have an Amherst Rambler join your ball hockey team on your quest for the Strong Kids Cup; includes two games minimum, skills competition and lunch
- SCUBA Diving
- Ultimate Kitchen Party: in support of the Strong Kids Campaign, in conjuction with CKDH radio featuring local bands Big Deal and Grindstone, and Halifax's Maddison Avenue
- and many more!