Comments

Comments

• norm
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Hope to see Mr Harper,I'd like to ask him about something ie why he sends our youth off to die ,so Afghanistan can hold a parliment,whilst he treats ours with such disdain.
    Further I,d like to tell him how I detest being called a traitor,for having the audacity to question whether our government is doing the right thing ,on any given day.
    I firmly believe the only way to support our troops is to determine if their being in harms way is for a just or even sane reason.Mr harper would and has called me and many other Canadians traitors when we try to exercise the checks and balances in place to protect us from dictatorial actions.

and he calls it democracy ,note the sneer in my voice,as in Bruce Cockburn's when he sings that song.

Dismissing the collective voice of the 200,000 strong members of the facebook group Canadians against Prorogation as mere chatter .Who does Mr.Harper respect,it appears not to be the 64% of canadians who didn't vote for him.
    Mr, Harper you are supposed to represent the people of this country.

• Garth
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

What a cynical group of looney lefties!

• flogger
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Yes NORM, democracy does matter; that's why Harper is PM, and you, Dion, and Martin are not. Facebook or no Facebook, if you think 150,000 people on Facebook represents what the majority of Canadians think, then give your head a shake. Furthermore, schools of journalism are supposed to teach 'professional, balanced reporting' and it is widely known that the Canadian media is blatently biased to the left (same in the States); why is that? Could it be because the universities, etc. are chalk-full of elitists like IGGY, the American-wannabe-journalist?? So, the fact that you believe everything you want to believe from the leftist media goes to show that you are just another sheep ... baaahhh, baaahh, baaaah. Leftie want a cracker??

• Skeptic
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Come on down, Right Honourable One.

What a great chance to be a man and apologize to Bill Casey and his electorate.

• SMc
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

It is unfortunate that I will be unable to attend this event and to see our Beloved Leader: however, I have volunteered to watch paint dry at a friend's business.

• John
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Mr. Harper only shows up for photo ops and political posturing, not when real people need support. The US got rid of their Decider , maybe it's time for Canadians to do the same.

• Tasman
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Maybe he should stay in Ottawa and do some work for a change. Maybe he should reopen parliament and get to some of the serious issues that face the people of this Country instead of doing political grandstanding because they have the seat back with someone who will not only do exactly what they want him to but go out of his way to do whatever it takes to make his party happy and not the people he is representing.

• Sasha
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Anyone who makes our comment that our troops should not be in Afghanistan have no merit unless they say that they have been there and seen what is happening first hand. My father has been on the base over there working for the last year, and this is what he has said to me...if our troops were not there fighting the Taliban, the Taliban would have the chance to set up their training camps, and plan to terrorize us with attacks like 9/11. Not to mention the help they are giving the local Afghan people. They are not only fighting for their freedom, but for ours as well. My father is at risk every day, just like those brave men and women that have fallen in this war, but he says that risk is worth it, because he is securing our freedom, would you rather have attacks on Canadian soil?

• Mark
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Garth Staples from Prince Edward Island - go stay in your backward province and keep your comments to your neck of the woods.

As for this pending announcement - a white elephant for the taxpayers of Canada, Province of Nova Scotia, Municipality of Colchester County and the towns of Truro and Stewiacke.

This money would be better spent reducing the debts of all these jurisdictions.

• flogger
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Ewwww, looks like all the angry Liberals and Dippers are out in force today. Maybe a few of you should collect your thoughts and (1) remember which party took us into Afghanistan in the first place (2) Chretien prorogued 4 times, and many other Liberal PM's as well in this country's history.

Oh yeah, and to NORM about your 'FACEBOOK protest ... wasn't that started by a student who admittedly rolled out of bed around noon and couldn't decide whether to eat some cereal or post something on-line. Sounds like a credible person to me ... LMAO!!!!!

Do your homework and stop your whining.

• Sam
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

The only reason the PM would show up here is to get his picture taken trying to put positive spin on what the government ISN'T doing in Ottawa right now. For the record, given the current circumstances I'd say that no matter what party was in power.

• norm
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

@ flogger,first it matters not who started the FaceBook group,a citizen did and in a democracy that's all that matters.

Now in journalism schools they teach that one letter to the editor usually,this is a rule of thumb,has the weight of the response from 10 people,also many MP's have no propblem exterpolating the e-mails they get into credible results when they are favorable.

You are just one more parrot when you spout the Harperisms.BTW I do not care who led us into Afghanistan,only who will bring our youth back home.
    @ Sasha,read much? Try the initial post here first,I in no way demean our troops,I decry the fact that our PM,subverts our right to protest decisions made by our government.

@ Jon the reason for the group is to rally people,on the 23rd of January.Will it succeed?, time will tell,but remeber ,evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
    What could possibly more democratic,than people no matter how many,rallying to oppose what they believe is wrong,and to all you detractors,please come up with something more substantial than, they(the grits) did it first.

• morgan
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

It's a great honour to have him here and if he is bringing the Civic Center funds so much the better.

• Glamourgirl
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Wonder if Brooke-a-baby will be along too?

• jack
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

I would love to be a mouse in the room when the PM meets with alll the Bill Casey supporters who worked to put Scotty Armstrong in as MP.....These people are hypocrites.........I can hear the smooching of the glutis maximus now.......(sorry for the hatchet job on the spelling)

• benn
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

i get what u are saying tasman but u seem to be condemming mr armstrong. i think u should see what happens. further more all parties operate the same. the liberal leader gave the guys fr nl a one time ok to vote against a bill.

• Disappointed in Truro
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

The only event I've heard about in any certainty so far for Thursday with Harper is by invitation only. No entry for those not invited directly - those being the people outside the realm of positions of authority/political power in the region, or the most very well-connected business persons.

It is incredibly disappointing and insulting that Harper would come to the area, and present himself only to a select and elite few, as opposed to an open forum with the community at large for an announcement such as this. I certainly hope this is not what it looks like, and that a public forum for the announcement WILL occur - as of right now, it looks as though you'll only see Harper's face if Scott Armstrong and the local PCs thought to put you on a list.

Harper didn't show his face during an important by-election, and now he'll only grace the few and privileged with his presence for a huge announcement that is meant to affect and bring growth to the entire community. Sadly, perhaps Harper forgets there are average people who matter, and who may want to see he actually cares - not this political show of favorites.

• Tasman
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

to Gortex from Hilden. Respect is earned it is not given just because you hold a particular position. If we don't question and engage the people that represent us then we may as well not vote at all. Mr. Harper has done nothing to earn the respect of people in Atlantic Canada in fact he has done just the opposite. He has called us lazy and a drain on the economy of Canada not to mention when Bill Casey didn't agree with what he and his party were doing he just kicked him out of caucus. Yeah that deserves respect.

• Jon
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

I'm no fan of Harper, but I have to say that some of the things that come out of peoples' mouths is just silly. 200,000 members of a Facebook group is but a drop in the bucket when you consider there are 30+ million in Canada and a good chunk of those 200,000 aren't Canadian. The fact that you are holding a protest on a social networking site is a slap in the face of democracy. Get off your computer and act - stop being armchair whiners. Facebook has about as much credibility as the National Enquirer... you know, except for the whole John Edwards score.

I, along with many others, want this money for a civic center. I don't care where it comes from or who delivers it. Just bring it or don't come.

• Gortex
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I welcome Mr Harper to the Hubtown.

I disagree with just about every decision his government makes, but he's still the Prime Minister, and the office deserves a little more respect than what I'm reading here.

I come from a family that has been Tory since before Confederation. But I won't ever vote for a Conservative again, until Mr Harper and his people are out of a leadership role.

Nevertheless, he's the Prime Minister of Canada, and that deserves respect.

• Mr
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Steven Harper has NO interest in Atlantic Canada.He has proven this several times with both words and deeds.He sees us as lazy people only waiting for a hand out.So forgive me if i do not get that warm fuzzy feeling from hearing this news.