Truros off-leash dog park popular

Lynn Curwin

Truros off-leash dog park popular

TRURO - Dogs and their people have been enjoying Truro's new dog park since it opened in mid-September.
The off-leash park, located on Lorne Street, is new to the area.
North River's Jill Moore was one of the people at the park on the weekend with her dogs, Jack and Jersey. The four-year-old Springer spaniel and the two-year-old Labrador retriever mix ran about energetically as she watched.
"We've been using the park ever since it opened," she said. "I have fields behind my home, but this is much better for socializing. I enjoy meeting other dog owners and it gives the dogs a chance to play with other dogs. I think we are very fortunate to have this.
"There are rules for the park, but they are very reasonable. One thing I would suggest is that anyone coming in the evening bring bug spray."
There is a pond inside the park, so dogs which enjoy water will most likely end up wet. Clean-up bags are available for anyone who forgets to bring one, and a few balls are left at the park for dogs to play with.
"I've been coming here quite often," said Amy Yuill, a North River resident who brings her seven-year-old German shepherd Koda. "The pond is a great place for dogs to cool down in hot weather."
Donelda Richards has been bringing her two-year-old dog, Buddy, to the park every day since it opened.
"I work 12-hour shifts and come after work in the evening," she said. "I used to take him for walks on the leash, but that's not the same."
The park is usually busiest around 6:30 p.m. That is the time regular users are calling
power hour, with as many as 15 dogs playing at one time.
Gace Smith was one of the people involved in establishing the park.
"I am very pleased with the work and thought that Doug MacKenzie has put into the park and I love taking my dogs there," she said. "It means so much to me because now there is a place to get them exercise and socialization without bothering people who don't like dogs."
The park is not fenced on the side most distant from the gate, so it is important that people have reasonable control over their dogs. The park is located on Lorne Street, next to the softball field.

Geographic location: Lorne Street, North River, Jersey

Comments

Comments

• Dax
    January 18, 2010 - 10:16

I have not been to the park yet - is there parking?

• Get Control!
    January 18, 2010 - 10:16

The point of the park is to socialize your dog - not to babysit it.

Perhaps basic obedience classes are needed first if you fear your dog will escape.

Hats-off to those who were able to make this happen, we are really enjoying it!!

PS - Yes, there is parking.

• Thanks_Anyway
    January 18, 2010 - 10:15

With respect to the fact that is illegal to have your dog off a leash ANYWHERE in Nova Scotia - this includes in the woods (hunting!), on the streets, in our parks, in your own yard, etc, I really thought the point of the park was to provide a place to legally let our animals off their leashes for a while.

I apologize if I am incorrect, but my dog gets plenty of socialization everywhere else I take him while he is on a leash like Victoria Park and the other great places we have.

I never said it wasn't a good idea - I just said that it's not safe for a lot of people or their dogs. Unless it is fenced all the way around, it is only a matter of time before we hear:

A: A dog got hit at the dog park
    B: A dog bit someone after they ran out of the dog park
    C: A dog ran away from the dog park never to be seen again

I'm glad some people can enjoy it, but my boy is obedient and even with that I'm not willing to risk his life for this. A huge open field is much more safe and fun than a tiny, partially fenced park.

• Thanks_Anyway
    January 18, 2010 - 09:59

The park is not fenced all the way around, so I'm afraid the point is lost on me. I was excited to take my Labrador to the park, but noticed the fence missing and figured it wasn't worth the trouble.

Not only are we opening the door for the animals to run away or get hit by a car, but we're putting those residents close-by at risk.

I don't want to shoot a gift horse in the mouth, but I thought the point of an off-leash dog park was to be a place you could take your dog and let it off its leash in a secure area.

If your dog is obedient enough to listen to you and stay inside the park, why does it need a fenced park in the first place?

Again, I appreciate the thought and the benefit it brings to others - I'm just disappointed we won't be able to enjoy it. The last thing I want is my boy to run away, get hit, or stroll into someone else's yard.

• Fido
    January 18, 2010 - 09:52

Now is't that special.

• Anon
    January 18, 2010 - 09:51

I agree with Thanks_anyway. I will not take my dog to the park until it is fenced in on all sides and we've been through basic obediance.
    While I am aware the purpose of the park is not to babysit my dog - anyone with an energetic bread or a puppy will surely understand the need for a fence. Even obediant dogs like to run - mine runs upwards to 35km/hr and it only takes a second for him to be on the other side of the fence running across Park Street.

• TR
    January 18, 2010 - 09:48

The plan all along has been for part of the fencing to be up and the park established this year, which has been done.
    The town plans to finish the fencing next year, since there wasn't enough money in the budget to finish everything this year.

I agree that it would have been nice to have it completed this year, but we'll just have to be happy with the work so far, and look forward to it's completion next year.

Finished? No.
    In progress and a very good start to a nice park? Absolutely.

• Check
    January 18, 2010 - 09:46

It is not illegal to have your dog off the lead, it is illegal for the dog not to be under control. Big difference for a well trained dog.

However the park should be fenced, many puppies will benefit from such a park for the social aspect. However it is unsafe. It can take years for a dog to be truly under control.

• Larry
    January 18, 2010 - 09:38

My boy is a human being. I never worry about him running away or biting someone.