Skate park getting supervision

Jason Malloy

TRURO - Supervision is on its way for Truro's new skate park.
About $12,000 was set aside in the town's budget for the upcoming year to ensure everyone can utilize the facility in a safe manner.
"The bottom line is, if they use the facility and they do it cordially and observe the rules, wear their helmets, we wouldn't have to have a supervisor there," Mayor Bill Mills told the Truro Daily News following yesterday's council meeting. "This is a result of a good thing where some people decided they don't want to follow the rules... This is something we have to do."
Councillors said the vast majority of skateboarders and bike riders who use the facility follow the rules but there are some who do not.
The park opened last summer between Brunswick Street and the Truro Centre near the CN pensioners club. Mills said the town had kids down at the park last fall after 9 p.m. in the dark creating safety concerns and potential liability issues.
"It's not our intent to go in there and push people around but on the other hand we want to make it a user-friendly facility," the mayor said. "When we say 'you've got to wear a helmet,' it doesn't mean we don't want you to be cool, but we want you to be safe."
The town's recreation department will work with the Truro Police Service in setting up the supervisor position, for which details are still being worked out. The police would be responsible for writing tickets for people breaking the province's helmet law.
Mills admitted the issue was discussed during the planning stages for the park but it was decided to wait and see if a supervisor was needed at the popular park.

Organizations: Truro Daily News, Truro Centre, CN Truro Police Service

Geographic location: Brunswick Street

Comments

Comments

• Tom
    January 18, 2010 - 10:15

Supervision at the skate park is a good idea especially for the younger kids for the safety and fairness in useing the skate park. Last year I was there alot with my stepson and I told him over and over to wear his helment for his safety. Then when we would arrive there and hardly a kid there had a helment on well you can imagine what happened. Time to argue with him that he has to wear his helment, because very few had there helment on. Not only that the Truro police would drive in and out and not say a word about the kids not wearing a helment. Again that didn't help me in instilling the fact my stepson had to wear a helment. Good to see it going to be run right this summer.

• V
    January 18, 2010 - 10:12

The park is being used and it is great for town kids. Too bad we're a bit far away to make use of it... but, that is the result of choosing to not live in town limits.

I do think it's wonderful that $12,000 is being spent here. I also think that enforcement of safety gear should be the number one priority. It is a worthwhile investment.

• D
    January 18, 2010 - 10:06

fence it and lock it during certain hours.

• Lynn
    January 18, 2010 - 10:04

I totally agree Anne about the golf course thing.Lets see there is the one right in Truro,one in Truro Heights,one in East Mountain,one in Brookfield.How many does he need?There should be more in place for teenagers,so they are not on the streets all the time.And the helmet law is great,now if only we can get them all to wear one,not to mention the fact of the bigger kids pushing around the younger ones.My son is almost 15 and is definately not the bully type,but it is still a worrysome thing.

• Golf Parent
    January 18, 2010 - 10:03

There is no better sport than golf to get your kid in. They won't get hurt, they will be busy and occupied for 4-6 hours at a time and the sport teaches many desired personality traits such as honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, responsibility,judgement, respect, courtesy, confidence and perseverance. Certainly all the other sports don't promote anywhere near the same. Trouble is, most semi -private courses don't accept kids under 10.

• Left Out
    January 18, 2010 - 10:03

Wow, costs keep rising on this skatepark......When is the town going to build a public golf course for residents to use? RCGA statistics suggest 20% of the population plays golf. The town seems to be building and maintaining facilities for virtually every user group, except golf. Soccer fields, civic centers, swimming pools, skateparks, dogparks, outdoor skating rinks(what a waste of time and money), the list goes on and on.....The old landfill site would be perfect and would actually be self sustaining.

• Eastend Boy
    January 18, 2010 - 10:03

Interesting comments. I live in the area of the skatepark and have mixed feelings on it. I am glad to hear the town is hiring a supervisor the cops do patrol this area lots and have been good about warning the kids without helmets. I know they have given out some tickets cause the kid down the road got one for no helmet after being warned. I for one think the cops got more important things to worry about then the skatepark. Hopefully the supervisor staff can look after the skatepark.

• jo
    January 18, 2010 - 09:59

parent your going to get bullying everywhere,this article has nothing to do about what your talking about,maybe you should kepp your kid in a padded room

• k
    January 18, 2010 - 09:56

The mountain lets kids of all ages there!

• Jason
    January 18, 2010 - 09:52

To Dizzy : Go play full contact ice hockey without pads and we'll see what's fun .. and the government doesn't control , they regulate. Without regulation, you'd have anarchy, and with anarchy comes Chaos, and trust me, you don't want that.

To Left Out : I enjoy cricket, doesn't mean I expect the town to subsidize a cricket field. There are many golf courses in town with reasonable rates. Even if the town did subsidize a golf course, doesn't mean it will be free or cheaper.. maintenance costs on a course is quite costly, and I don't think the town public would agree with a golf tax to keep up maintenance.

As per the skate park, Brilliant. I remember when I was a teenager, we attempted to rally for a skate park and got a small section of the stadium for a fun box and a rail. (a good start) Then came around that Cafe Extreme which was anther good idea, but poorly managed and eventually shut down.

Anyone know if there is a public payphone in the area so if an emergency arises they can quickly contact 911?

• Dizzy
    January 18, 2010 - 09:50

So you take the risk out of the sport and you take away the fun. I wish the government would stop trying to control everything.

• Michelle
    January 18, 2010 - 09:48

I think that it is wonderful that the town is thinking about the saftey of our kids. I also think that the skate park was a long time in coming. The golf issue is not a bad idea but I agree. Get a commitee together and do the work. The commitee did alot of work to get the park and the town generously found a place for it. Our youth can always use more things to keep them busy and I for one am thankful that my kids will have a safe place that they can go and that they enjoy.

• Hacker
    January 18, 2010 - 09:48

Ladies, those golf courses are for profit semi-private courses with owners with many use restrictions. They cannot be confused with a public/municipal golf courses.

• Parent
    January 18, 2010 - 09:39

I agree with Supervision. My 7 year old son and I visit that park and at times, I have been there, have been and more specifically my son, was witness to bullying...I intervened, however, older kids made snide remarks to me, but I was unscathed - the larger lessson here is setting a good example for the younger children who use the park and want to develop their skills - in both life and skateboarding/biking. Supervision unfortunately, is required but necessary. Thanks Council for recognizing this as an investment in our children!

• Julie
    January 18, 2010 - 09:39

I agree with supervision of the park, I know wearing a helmet is the safest thing and the police should enforce this by-law. Ticket anyone who doesn't have a helmet. people would start wearing them. I also agree with another comment, this is not about golf, you go raise money and start your own thing, At least the town cares enough about the kids around here, having it supervised. It will employ someone as well. Also, about the public phone, i would have to say no, Nice thought. 95% of kids now have cell, I just hope if someone needs help, someone would call. Maybe the supervisor should have a cell phone on him/her in case something arises.

• Jason
    January 18, 2010 - 09:38

• Dan
    January 18, 2010 - 09:38

First of all the issue here is not golf. Its the skatepark and the Town thinking they have to pay $12,000 to supervise it.

Have they looked into what the other 100 or so cities across the country do to supervise there parks??? Well, Tom Brown brought up a good point, if and when the police patrol the park they were not giving out tickets. They don't even get out of their cars. If the police worked the park into there route and actualy got out of their cars and handed out a few tickets each day eventually they will start to wear them. But really, has there been an issues with the park? It is the most used facility in town. GREAT JOB to however got this project rolling. Its not rocket science, its a proven formula, start handing out some tickets. Lets start thinking here people.

As for golf guy, why don't you form a group and do all the fundraising that these people did, go to council meetings and work realy hard for several years and maybe you'll get your Public Golf course.

Last thing, lets keep in mind also that the $350,000 the park cost didn't come from the Town, only a portion of it did, 50K maybe, the rest was on the backs of a Volunteer Committee.

• Anne
    January 18, 2010 - 09:37

To left Out....above,

Where do you live? The town of Truro is literally surrounded with golf courses!!!!

Also, most people who golf can afford and are old enough to drive out of town at least a mile or two. The skate park should be in town as most who use it would walk as they would not have cars or would be too young to get a license.