Town unveils Dickey Park draft

Dave
Dave Mathieson

AMHERST - Dickey Park has been on life support for several years but the Town of Amherst sees it springing back to life by the summer of 2010.
Last night at the Amherst Fire Hall, town councillor George Baker and Deputy Mayor Robert Angel unveiled the Dickey Park development draft to about 20 Amherst residents.
"We went through four different options and our committee put them together and came up with this draft," Baker said. "This is just a beginning and we came here tonight to get more input."
The draft includes a sprinkler park for kids, a picnic area with picnic tables and barbecues, an outdoor theatre, washrooms, change rooms, a flower garden, a community garden and, surrounding the entire park, a walking track.
In the winter, an outdoor rink would be available where families can go skate.
"I don't want it four years down the road," Baker said. "I want this built by next summer."
The price of development is being researched, so Baker could not give the financial details.
"Hopefully there is money there from the feds, the province and the town," Baker said. "And our committee is going to also raise money to make up the difference."
Baker said the most cost intensive piece of the park will be the sprinkler park.
"They start at $40,000 and go up from there," Baker said. "So we're looking at something in the range of $70,000."
It's hoped the family-oriented facility will divert Amherst residents away from Centennial Park in Moncton.
"We want something really nice for parents to take their kids to play," Baker added. "We want people to spend their time, and their money, here in Amherst."
Asked if the park would provide jobs, Baker said it will be a self-contained facility with regular maintenance being provided by the town and by volunteers.
Another hope brought up by many in attendance was that they would build an outdoor swimming pool.
Baker said the cost of an outdoor pool could be about $1.4 million and added that that is something they could look at in the future.

dmathieson@amherstdaily.com

Geographic location: AMHERST, Centennial Park, Moncton

Comments

Comments

• Marlene
    January 18, 2010 - 11:23

there is nothing that can take the place of an outdoor pool for youngsters. an outdoor pool is a place you can take your children in the summer, sit in the park, eat a picnic lunch together, and have a wonderful day as a family. the pool at the ymca is great for the winter, but i have yet to see a family spread a blanket ,watch their children swim, than share a picnic lunch together at the ymca. I own a pool and the upkeep is not that extensive.......it is only for 2 months of the year. yes the initial installation is expensive, but if some farmilies can afford to install a pool, i'm sure the town could cough up the money. Than of course there is the supervision.........again i'm sure that 15 years ago we had young people employed at Dickey park to supervise the pool area.....so how bad is that.......giving employment to youth in the summer. Not everyone has a cottage, and not everyone has a car, but with a pool at dickey park everyone has access to watching their children have fun in the summer. I am 54 and I can still remember swimming at Dickey Park and laying on the hot cement to dry off.

• Marlene
    January 18, 2010 - 11:19

following up my previous post, what I forgot to say was:

i'm thinking we could get the smaller cheaper version pool that they sell for just under one million!!!
    I think a nice pool could be installed for a lot less than$1.4 million.
    Gee Whiz, George what pool company have you been talking to?
    I hope it wasn't a pool company you found on the internet.......

• im
    January 18, 2010 - 11:14

another friggin waste of my tax dollars.as if the y wasnt enough

• Don
    January 18, 2010 - 11:04

Have the skateboarders been left out? If this goes ahead without something for them, how long before we hear complaints?

• Carrie
    January 18, 2010 - 11:03

This is a step in the right direction. Amherst needs something like this. I just hope that it can start as soon as possible. Lets hope that this starts something for Amherst and keeps on going. More parks and the rec department grow.

• Danny
    January 18, 2010 - 11:01

This is great to hear. Good work Mr. Baker. My hat is off to you and the council for bringing this to life. I look forward to going there with my family

• CSD
    January 18, 2010 - 10:54

I was hoping that they would include a fenced in dog park. I know that this idea had been thrown around before and am quite disappointed that it did not end up in their draft.

• James Goodwin
    January 18, 2010 - 10:49

I hope this gets done, on time and on budget, it will be another piece of the recreation puzzle that Amherst needs. The stadium was a success in many ways as it got a new make over while saving the memories of past events that a new building wouldn't have had. The proposed new Dicky park would also be in the same category.

• Nancy
    January 18, 2010 - 10:47

Can't wait! Sounds great!

• newsgirl
    January 18, 2010 - 10:39

I can't wait to come home and see this revitalized park. We have water sprinkler parks here and the kids and adults love them! It is a great way to cool off on a hot day. Throw in an ice cream babybarn and all the bases are covered for a great day at the park. Good on Councilor Baker for presenting such a great plan for a large chunk of land that has been neglected for far too long.

• Tyler
    January 18, 2010 - 10:39

Now the idea of a community garden is something I thought I would never see in Amherst. I graduated from Mount Allison in Sackville New Brunswick last year and had plot in our community garden. It was a great success. I would personally volunteer to help organize and maintain the garden in the summers. It is a great way for people, young and old, to learn about gardening, something I feel will be an asset to all people in the future. This project could have great environmental and tourism implications should the town choose to take it that way.

• Very
    January 18, 2010 - 10:38

This is GREAT!!! Now I will not find myself packing up my kids for a day at Centenial Park in Moncton....and buy lunch and/or supper there or even stop off in the mall for some last minute shopping!!! I will be putting my money into the Amherst economy. Hope they have an ice cream shanty and/or burger bus, too!!!!

• Jonny
    January 18, 2010 - 10:37

Holly Cow!!!!!It took till 3:17pm for some naysaying,whining crybaby to make a post.Congrats to you disgusted.

CHEERS TO DICKEY PARK.....

• Jonny
    January 18, 2010 - 10:33

Yes this is great to hear.I have been thinking about the idea of an outdoor rink also but lets not just have one surface but two.One for family skating and one for pick up hockey or else there will be conflicting views on whos allowed on and with what(sticks and pucks??)
    Lets make everyone happy before the problem arises.
    Another reason I believe this is a good idea is I know there would be lots of volunteers(parents and kids)to help maintain it and come together as one in the community.Does this sound good to anyone or am i just dreaming??I hope not.

• Sounds Nice
    January 18, 2010 - 10:31

Great vision, sounds like exactly what this town needs. Good job. I really like the idea of an outdoor theatre and skating rink.

The outdoor pool is a nice idea, but given the costs and maintenance needed, probably not necessary as long as the YMCA is supported.