Cotto: Suspended Margarito should not be allowed to fight anywhere

The Associated Press ~ staff The News
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

NEW YORK Former welterweight champion Miguel Cotto doesnt believe Antonio Margarito should be allowed to fight anywhere after his boxing licence was revoked by the California State Athletic Commission.

Margarito, who punished Cotto last summer to win the title, had his licence taken away for one year Tuesday after illegal wraps were discovered on his hands before a loss last month to Shane Mosley. The commissions decision will likely be upheld in other states.

Margaritos trainer, Javier Capetillo, also lost his licence for at least one year.

I think if its up to me, we should all abide by the rule that was made, Cotto said during a conference call Wednesday. He was suspended for one year, he should be suspended everywhere. He has to abide by the rules and I think if he cant fight in the United States, he shouldnt be able to fight at all.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum, who attended the hearing, called the ruling an outrage and has said Margarito will likely appeal. In the meantime, Arum said its possible that Margarito could fight in Mexico, where decisions made in the United States are often not upheld.

He has to make a living and he has a right to fight anyplace that will license him, Arum said Wednesday. Mexico has indicated, or certain places in Mexico, have indicated theyll give him a licence.

Arum promotes both fighters and had tentative plans to match them in another big-money fight later this summer. Unless Margarito wins his appeal, Cotto isnt interested.



Organizations: California State Athletic Commission

Geographic location: Mexico, NEW YORK, United States

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments