Brawl in rink parking lot sends two to hospital

Brad Works

OXFORD - Two people were sent to hospital Saturday after brawl here following a minor hockey league game.
"It's unknown how many people were involved," RCMP spokesman Dal Hutchinson said Monday. "We received two complaints of a fight at the rink at 5:54 p.m. Two males were taken to hospital for observation."
The Mounties continue to investigate the incident that occurred in the parking lot of the Oxford arena following a Minor Midget AAA game between Cumberland County and Brookfield, which is just south of Truro.
The altercation apparently was spill over from action on the ice.
"It happened outside the building so we don't know much about it," said arena manager John Nauss. "There were a couple of fights on the ice and from what we are hearing it spilled over outside. The RCMP is investigating."
Nauss, who was not working at the time, said reports indicated the two teams played the entire game and a few players were ejected from the match following on-ice fights.
"It was a nasty incident that should never happen in minor hockey," Nauss said. "I can't comment further because I wasn't there and my staff were inside."
Gary Copeland, president of Cumberland Minor Hockey, said the association is troubled by the incident and is looking into the situation.
"We're trying to make arrangements with the other team's association to sit down with their executive," Copeland said. "It's not a very nice situation and were hoping to work to repair what has gone wrong."
Copeland said the incident outside involved players from the game and a number of parents.
"The parents were mostly shouting from what I understand," he said.
Midget-age players range from 16 to 18 years old.
Copeland added there has been some animosity between the two clubs throughout the season but nothing to the extreme of Saturday's violence.
Brookfield won the game 3-2.
bworks@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: RCMP

Geographic location: OXFORD, Cumberland County, Truro

Comments

Comments

• hockey mom across the pro
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Maybe the young men involved in this horrible encounter should step up to the plate and accept responsibility for their own actions. Being the parent of a 17 year old midget player I have seen how quickly tempers flare on the ice. If my son were involved in anything of this nature, he would be the one to shoulder the responsibility and hopefully learn from his mistakes. I know he would have plenty of time to do so while he spends the next month or so confined to the house...after all, they are young adults not children as they frequently remind us!!

• Hockey
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

BTW shame on the A.D.N. for the sensationalized headline & the thinly
    written article.
    Once the RCMP have completed their investigation, the truth
    will be known.
    Until then, unless you know something FOR a FACT maybe none of
    you should be commenting.
    A.D.N. should have published this article like they so often do without a comment forum.
    The comments that are being allowed in this forum are only going to exacerbate the situation.

• hockeyfan
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

To Hockey Dad, totally agree on the headline. everyone should be supporting the community, not giving people a right to tear the association and teams apart. i think everyone involved has been in wrong, but at the same time, there is only so much you can do as a parent, referee, coach or player. things happen quickly. i am sure anyone who has been involved in hockey has been subjected to other incidents like this. it is an emotional sport and it always will be. do i agree with what happen? no..but im sure as hockey continues to be played around the world, then it will always have questionable situations.

• can't believe
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

Parents.....you should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Disappointed
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

I will take some responsibility as a parent, however, the situation could have been avoided if the Parents who act as Coaches kept the Cumberland Players in the dressing until the other team left the rink. Also, the referee of the game is to blame too! He stood back and watched the fight on the ice while helmets were coming off! There is more than just parents to blame in this situation.

• newsgirl
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

One of the dumbest and nastiest minor hockey pushy-pushies I've ever seen was at the old Springhill arena at the end of a tournament. The ref ended up in the ambulance with a broken nose, kids were on the ice watching as the parents were screaming and shouting in the stands. It was a circus. The game had gone out of control way before the end of the third. This was a long time ago, so don't be surprised that the parents have gone from shoving and shouting in the stands to a taking it to the parking lots. Until the parents understand that its just a game and little Ethan isnt' going to be the next Sydney Crosby, expect more crappy behaviour.

• Steve
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

That's just what this situation needed, a bunch of hot headed parents on the ice as well. You all may think you know how to control these types of situations but you are sadly mistaken. Only referees and possibly the Police are equipped to deal with this situation when it is happening.

IMHO as always

• JIMMY
    February 24, 2010 - 23:46

WOW a lot of bickering over this incident, on one hand everyone is blaming the officials in charge and the on the other hand they are blamint the parents. The real culprits are the players themselves, upon investigation, maybe some of them should sit the remainder of the year. Try to keep the parents and fans civil.

• Disappointed
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

The Players and Parents involved in this sort of behavior in the minor hockey should be ashamed of themselves. This is a great way to build a poor team reputation. For other parents and players involved with minor hockey this is the classic example of what NOT to do. Play the GAME and leave it on the ice.

• cumberland
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Well everyone who is blaming the coach should stop now. He is lending his time to this team so they can play hockey, cause nobody else would, because of the lack of immaurity of the players AND PARENTS. He is in no way at all the person to blame for this. The parents are responable for there children, seeing as it was in a parking lot. And just remember, there are two sides to every story.

• Amazed
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Wow, some people on here should take in to consideration that there are two sides to every story, unless you were there, you cant say much. And to every person on here who is blaming the coach, what would you have liked him to do, jump in with them! like seriously, he is volenteering to do this job, because no one else was willing to because of the immaturity of these players AND parents. and he does NOT need to be blamed for what players have done.

• Hockey
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

TO WHATEVER - Maybe you ought to read my comments again.
    I'm not saying the article shouldn't have been written. I have a problem with the headline & how thinly written the article was.
    TO DISSAPOINTED - Do you suppose
    that if you or anyone else were to go on to the ice with even the intention to difuse the situation, that you wouldn't be followed by a dozen others? GEE - WOULDN'T THAT BE A NICE DISPLAY. It would elevate to exactly what occured in the parking lot. AND also BTW, my comment regarding people's comments was directed at those who were not there, but seem to have all the FACTS regarding the incident.

• Disappoined
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Our son was hauled away and we did not stay to watch, but what would you want your son to do, lay there and get beat up? or try to get from pile of punches? I did mention I as parent am partly to blame but their are others that are at fault too. And as I said the referee allowed it on the ice, as a parent it is not possible for myself to decide to go out on the ice to remove my kid being beat up by 5 opposing players! If your so knowledgeable and seem to be a perfect parent you should pass on your wisdom!

• hockeymom
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I have a son who plays Minor Midget, not for either team involved but I can certainly relate....
    To...can't belive from nova scotia.....Its not always possible to haul 6 foot 180 lb boys out of a fight by the ear ...be reasonable!! And kids will be kids...what a cop out!!
    To...disappointed parent from Nova Scotia...I totally agree with the lack of control referees show throughout this province. I understand it is their job to stand back and note the involved players when a fight is taking place, however its the lack of control throughout the game that leads to these incidents!
    To...astonished from Cumberland County...why do you think both executives want to sit down and talk it over....so it can be all brushed under the rug and play downs will continue with no parents being asked to step down or volunteering to step down from either executive. It shouldn't take a fight in the parking lot to have players suspended, often fights on the ice are just as bad!!
    But give me a break..... hope that the Brookfield team doesn't just let it blow over Cumberland is not only to blame just because they were the home team...have you ever attended a Minor Midget Game in Brookfield on a Friday night? Some of the parents in Brookfield are less than model parents spitting into the visiting team penalty box just to name one of the many incidents I've witnessed! And as for the reffing in Brookfield...it is most times absolutely ridiculous!!!

• Another Dad
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Well said Disappointed from Oxford! Hockey is a sport, a game, with rules that forbid this behaviour! Plain and simple. The fact that this happened is enough to have people speak out. The fact that it started on the ice is enough to show that more control and education is required. The referee's job is to control what happens on the ice ... period! the is no excuse for allowing this to happen. If the referees are not qualified ... get refs who are! As a father I know how seeing something happen to my child, or to see my child involved in unruly behaviour, would raise my temper and probably cause me to say things that I would not otherwise say ... these are our kids, and NOTHING is more important! The situation has apparently spun out of control and se are seeing the after effects, but the is little question that, had the game been controlled on the ice, it would not have escalated to violence.

But since it did ... and tempers were lost, and people were hurt ... there are a number of places to point the blame, and ALL of them are responsible.

... and a final word to Disappointed Parent from NS, as a parent of a child on the ice, you have control over what happens! And if you're child is being attacked, you have the RESPONSIBILITY to exercise that control! If you are concerned about what people might think, should you walk out on the ice to remove YOUR CHILD from such a situation, consider what that is teaching your child!!!

• can't believe
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

come on dissappointed...get a grip. Trying to blame coaches and referrees for this???? Any decent parent would have hauled there OWN kids away by the ear. I also think that any other adult who stood around and watched this type of behavior occur should be hangng their heads as well. Kids will be kids, but adults should have certainly intervened......says a lot about those present.

• Disappointed
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Hockey Dad truth is that both teams were fighting on and off the ice. That is a fact. I don't need to know the ins and outs of what happened......the fact that this even happened is all I need to make a comment on this issue. I am a hockey Dad as well and understand what it is like to get upset at the refs and blaming them is always the easy way out. Did you ever hear of taking responsibility for your own actions? Having said all of this and it was my son out there getting beat by others off the ice your darn right I would be out there. I would take responsibility for my actions and not blame what might of happened on others.

• whatever
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Hockey Dad your killing me....you wanna blame the newspaper for publishing this article?? Get a grip, it's their job to report things that happen in the community and by the looks of the amount of comments people were interested to read what happened in the community.

• Ridiculous comments
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

The second a parent stepped on the ice this would have turned into a complete disaster. I'd like to see one parent actually follow through and take their 16 year old kid off the ice. Fights are allowed in junior at that age. It's the fighting that happened after that was the issue.

• Oxford Dad
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

The simple facts are: 1. Fighting will always be part of physical sports 2. Refs do need to control the game, but stepping between two 180 lb guys throwing punches is dangerous and can't always be done safely
    3. Fights in sports take place, outside is not during the game, RCMP should charge any involved in the fight as they would in any other situation 4. Parents should be respectful of the opposite team's players as they expect the same!
    I was not there, I do not know the ins and outs, but fighting off the ice is NOT part of the game, lay charges! Fighting on the ice, if it was excessive with intent to cause serious injury then the league should deal with the players!

• Leave it on the ice
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Hockey is at times a nasty game and fights happen,line brawls happen but parents on the ice should never happen. If little Billy is getting beatup by several other guys where are his teammates parents should stay in the stands.
    I'll stay tuned to see how the CCMHA disciplinary committee deals with this one, from what I hear there is a major conflict of interest between some of the combatants involved and several committee members.
    News worthy? absolutely the most attention grabbing headline in the ADN in some time.

• cumberland
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Well everyone who is blaming the coach should stop now. He is lending his time to this team so they can play hockey, cause nobody else would, because of the lack of Maturity of the players AND PARENTS. He is in no way at all the person to blame for this. The parents are responable for there children, seeing as it was in a parking lot. And just remember, there are two sides to every story.

• Ted
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Hockey is too rough a sport. It should be made illegal.

• holy crap!!!
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

I was there... It all happened soooo fast that it was hard to tell who started it.
    Was it Brookfield, or Cumberland???
    AGAIN, I was there, and I don't even know! So please tell me, how might YOU THE READER think you would know???
    Are the two teams rivals? Yes
    Was the game rough? Yes
    Could the officiating been better?? MUCH!
    Does this JUST happen when Brookfield is in Cumberland? NO!!!!!
    Do you know who jumped who first???
    Prob not!
    Again, I was there and seen some, but I couldn't say, so how can you?

This is a horrable thing that has happened, but I do belive that it's being investagated, so until their done finding out what happened, we shouldn't make any assumptions...SHOULD WE???

• C'mon Disappointed Parent
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Oh come on Disappointed Parent, you say as a parent it is not possible for myself to decide to go out on the ice to remove my kid being beat up by 5 opposing players! - as a parent myself, you better believe it IS very possible and it's my responsibility to protect my kid, and I don't care where it is, if 5 kids are beating up my son, I'm going to stop it.
    Grow up and start ACTING responsible, not just 'accepting' partial responsibility.

• Hockey
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

TO ASTONISHED from C.C. what you HEARD is wrong.

• Astonished
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

The players that fought off the ice should be suspended for the season, this is terrible. I've heard that some of the parents are on the executive, they should be ashamed of themselves they have embarrassed the Cumberland County minor hockey association, they should have to step down if any were involved. Like someone said above, the backseat coaches should keep their mouth shut, it's always the same parents who give the entire team a bad name. I hope that the Brookfield team doesn't just let this blow over, I hope that the truth comes out and the people involved are dealt with accordingly.

• Astonished
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

Dissapointed you are one of the better parents, you did the right thing, too bad certain other parents weren't as mature as you, rumour has it that some of the involved think this is a joke, they need to be dealt with, keep them out of our rinks, it's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt. The Cumberland county hockey association needs to look at who they have on their executive and if any are involved or if there is a conflict of interest they need to step down, this is the most embarrassing situation that this hockey organization has ever had.

• Mad Mac
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

No wonder there is so much trouble involving youth today. Seems to start with sports than spills to the streets. Should be 0 tolerance in sports. Look what the big leagues have turned into, a push, shove and pound match. Not even worth watching any more.

• right on
    February 24, 2010 - 23:45

perfect point Disappointed from Oxford. Best comment I have read all day.....