Charity tournaments cancelled because of increasing fees

Darrell
Darrell Cole

AMHERST - One major charity golf tournament has been cancelled and another may not be far behind after the Amherst Golf Club increased the fee paid by participating golfers.

"It's very disappointing because that's a lot of money we won't be able to give to cancer research this year," said Rod Wilson, who organized the previous four Amherst Dooly's Giving Hope Golf Tournaments. "I had hoped to be able to work something out but the golf club refuses to give charities such as ours any breaks and we just can't charge the golfers any more to play than we already have."

Over the previous four years, the Dooly's tournament, which raises money for breast cancer research through the Atlantic Cancer Research Institute in Moncton, has raised $34,000. With government matching funds, that contribution has been more like $130,000.

Wilson said the course used to charge $20 per non-member and then increased it to $30 last year. This year, he said, the club increased the price again so that it's the same as corporate renters at $43 per player (taxes included).

"A registered charity is not a corporation and you can't charge the United Way, Dooly's or Ducks Unlimited the same you'd charge Scotiabank," said Wilson, who added he cancelled his membership at the club in protest.

As much as he's disappointed with the club's stance, he can't understand how it's willing to give up several thousand dollars in potential revenue from food and beverage sales and cart rentals.

"When you consider green fees, beverage sales and cart rentals, we probably bring in about $7,000 in revenue for the course on a day when things aren't normally busy," Wilson said.

Prior to this year's increase, Wilson said, the tournament made about $35 per player that was handed over to cancer research. This year that amount would have decreased to about $20 without charging more - something Wilson feels he can't justify.

"In a recession it's hard to charge more than we already do," he said. "I don't think we'd be able to charge more and expect to get the same number of golfers."

While the Dooly's event is cancelled, Cheryl Allen is pretty certain the Ducks Unlimited tournament in September will also be called off.

"It's probably not going to happen," Allen said. "It's too bad the club has decided to take the position it has because it's losing business. It just seems as they are trying to profit too much from these events."

There is a possibility the Ducks tournament could be held at another area course.

Club board member Todd LeBlanc said it was a tough decision to increase green fees, but added the club is a business and needs to operate like one. As well, he said, it's difficult to charge different customers different fees for the same service.

"It was a financial decision," LeBlanc said. "I've said at membership meetings that I'd love nothing more than to give the course to every charity that comes through the door, but we're just not in a financial position to be able to do that."

LeBlanc said the increase was done gradually and all charities that use the course were given lots of notice.

Club pro Frank McShane said it was difficult to raise the price charged to charities, but pointed out the club has been raising member prices over the past few years and then taking the course away for a day here and there for charity and corporate events.

"If we're going to give our members' golf course away for a day we have to justify to those members that we're making money at what we're doing," McShane said, adding the club does not charge for club members who participate in charity events.

While the club does make money from the charity events, McShane said it's not as much as some would think.

"Our business is golf and we sell golf. The other stuff is nice and it helps, but you'd have to sell a lot of beer and potato chips to run this place," he said.

McShane also checked with other golf clubs in the region to see what they charge and found the new rates to be on par with others.

There are a number of charity tournaments still on for this year, McShane said, and the door remains open for Dooly's and others to return to the club.

dcole@amherstdaily.com

Organizations: Ducks Unlimited, Amherst Golf Club, Atlantic Cancer Research Institute United Way Scotiabank

Geographic location: AMHERST, Moncton

Comments

Comments

• Good Guy
    January 18, 2010 - 11:24

To Mark Bourgeous Every tournament doesnt fit everyone taste. I have played in all but one of the dooleys tounaments(missed the 1st one due to work) and I have to say it is the most fun I and anyone I have know to participate has ever had on the course. Not sure what you seen last year that bothered you but what I seen was a lot of volunteers and the dreaded coors girls freezing in the rain while trying to give us golfers a fun day. Which most would agree they succeeded at.
    Of course when you get 150 golfers in a fun tournament there will be a couple who may have a little tooo much fun and do some silly things...But for you to make the statement I've seen NON golfers getting intoxicated and driving power carts right across the greens or through bunkers! Hate to break it to ya mr serious golfer but I have played in just about ever tourney offered...and I have seen my fellow MEMBERS do WAY more damage to the greens and carts than ever at this tourney.
    This tournament is one of the few where none of my teamates care about score as they simply go for the show,have some drinks and to raise money. They draw randomly from a hat for team prizes and even gave out points for the fun team of the day to win a huge prize. Im guessing that you Mark werent on the fun team of the day??

PS. Why are you no longer a member? Did the Doolys tournament shock you that bad?

• Female Member
    January 18, 2010 - 11:23

When is the event due to happen? Can there not be an emergency meeting held with all members ( who pay fees every year) to rectify the situation? I believe this chat session today is a big eye opener for every one looking in from the outside!

• getta grip
    January 18, 2010 - 11:23

That right hacker people should get their facts together!! I believe Frank McShane when he says they make money from seling golf only and NOTHING from beverage and food!! I mean at only $4 a beer there cant be profit right?? And im glad the course is only focussing on BIG reveniues the the Wed night $5 non member green fees where they give away a free drink!! NOW THAT MUST BE A MONEY MAKER and DEFINATELY worth taking the course away from the players!!! haha
    What ever happened to giving back Frank?? Dont lose the charities!!!

• Good Point Robert
    January 18, 2010 - 11:22

I agree with Robert 100%. No business should be forced to do anything like that. The golf course has helped out many charities over the years.

When does Cheryl Allen offer half price paint to charities? Got a charitable organization in need of a paint job? Go see Cheryl and ask her for half price paint! I certainly have heard of her yapping when other businesses...charities at that...that got their paint elsewhere because hers was simply too expensive.

It's just the way it is.

• Older Member
    January 18, 2010 - 11:17

To Todd Leblanc, Frank or anyone who decided to turn their backs on charities I say BOOOO!!!! What are you thinking? Hosting a few afternoon charity tournaments while making money for the course sounds like a win win situation!!
    I as a member know these events keep my dues down and unlike most of the board I DONT have the xtra membership dues you will put on us AGAIN when you see the money you have lost!! I am on a fixed income and love to support a couple tournaments a year. You have now raised prices so high that the tournaments have to charge way too much money just to show a little profit. This is the first year in forever I didnt golf the Kidney and it was because I thought the charity was getting a bit to greedy with fees...NOW I realize its my own course that is showing the greed!! Shame on you!

• Gummie Bear
    January 18, 2010 - 11:16

To Robert from Amherst

You make a comment that its not very smart to cancel the tournament because of a reduction in revenue . Did you bother to read the explanation by Rod Wilson where he explains that its costs dooleys and molson an estimated $5000 -$6000 out of their pockets to put on this tournament. Now that fees are gone up the tournament would not likely make come ahead of their investment. How does that not make sense to you. Why spend $6000 plus a lot of time to make $6000?? If you think that makes good business sense on Doolys part than I think you have the poor business thinking equal to that of the Amherst Golf Course Robert!

Sux to lose the tournament but I understand doolys deccision.

• A female member
    January 18, 2010 - 11:16

I feel Charity events have to come with a price. There is more to having an event then to just ask for cheap rates. Why not ask others to sponsor the event as well. Is Dooly's covering any portion of the event or just hosting it? Maybe Dooly's need to chip in some money to help those who have to pay 43$. There are alot of businesses out there that would support an event like this , one would have to ask. But my Big Question to Rod W is What is Dooly's contributing to the event?

• Longtime Member
    January 18, 2010 - 11:15

As a long time member of the course, I have participated in and enjoyed many of the different charity events at the club.

However, the Dooly's tournament, although for charity, has been notoriously obnoxious compared to the other tournaments. People undressing to play holes, girls exposing themselves, etc. is something that the course probably frowns upon. Maybe better policing of the tournament by Rod and his organizers in the first place would have helped to keep the spotlight off of these such events.

If the fees that are being charged are comparable to other courses around, I don't see the problem. You have to charge a fee for the use of the course and if that fee is comparable to similar courses in the area, then this shouldn't even be debatable.

My membership continues to climb and I don't see why the fees for the organizers of such events don't feel the increase too. There's lots of other courses around so if the fee is too much, Rod should do as Ducks Unlimited did, and find another course.

As a charity, if the golf tournament isn't a viable solution to raise money for charity, perhaps another method of raising money should be found. This doesn't mean an end to charity donation as the article makes it sound.

• Robert
    January 18, 2010 - 11:13

Guys... this is all moot anyhow. You can't force a company to donate time and money if they don't think it's a good idea. You can't force the local Shell station to sell gas a dime cheaper every month to support a charity. You can't force the superstore to give free groceries once a month to support a charity and you can't force a golf course to offer reduced rates to support a charity. It ain't gonna happen!

Besides... why are the charities calling it off in the first place? Because instead of 130k in raised funds they'd only raise 120k instead? That's real smart. Cancel because of a reduction in revenue... talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Think realistically. It's a private club/business that exists for profit. Like it or not it is their right to refuse demands just like it is the right of any private business/individual to refuse such requests. You wouldn't like it if they forced you to donate to causes if you didn't think it prudent.

• The
    January 18, 2010 - 11:12

Interesting point raised by Female Member. Is Dooly's simply the *Face of the Fundraiser,* taking names and collecting the entry fees of those who want to play, but not putting any actual outlay of its own toward the tourney?
    Or, are they securing sponsors for prizes like Closest to the Pin, Hole in One, and putting up a some of the *front money* to run the thing, offering to match/add to the total amount raised? The Golf Club is a business so it is understandable it has to justify its costs, as opposed to simply giving away the course time and accepting a financial loss because *hey, it's for charity.*

• just me
    January 18, 2010 - 11:12

To Robert you need to get a grip. Really! How can you compare a community member driven golf course giving 10 bucks off for some charities to asking a shell station to lower gas? Im sure most business in this world GIVE BACK to the less fortunate(gas companies incl). I cant think of any business that doesnt give something back. Well now I do...the AGC!
    And to devils advocate its true that members of the AGC arent charged green fees...but you are WRONG about them not getting a break in tournament fees. GET YOUR FACTS!! Every year prior to this year NON members of the AGC were charged $100 while members were only charged $75..do the math...thats a $25 discount!! AND prior to this year the golf fees charged to charities were $30...therefore the discount WAS passed on!! DUH!!
    To longtime member ..I really have dont think these tournament have been as out of control as you might say or that would have been the reason given by the commitee and Frank for driving the tournament away? I have played this tournament with my wife and trust me this is by far the best run and funnest torunament Amherst has ever seen. People talk about this tournament LONG after its over. As far as the girls? Doolys is a bar and is obviously ising their business contacts to raise money...ya..they are called the coors light girls ...This is a tournament built on fun and games...If you dont like having a little fun on the course you have every right NOT to play and stay home and contribute in your own way however you like to the charity of your choice. Different strokes for different folks!!
    If the Doolys tournament and girls isnt your thing than how do you explain the increase to someone like the Gould family here in town who have spent years trying to raise money for the kidney foundation? Did someone wear their shorts above the knee on that tourney too? EVERY charity is being overcharged......that iseems to be Rods point!
    I didnt read where anyone asked ppl not to join the course other than Rod saying he didnt join this year. Thats his choice and from the negaitive treatment at the AGC I cant blame him.
    Cheryl please keep us updated on ducks and lets hope something will come of the Doolys tournament.

• Club Member
    January 18, 2010 - 11:11

Get rid of the charities tournements!! I am a member and I personally DON'T want to see my course closed to me any day because of some charity event! I pay over $800 to golf Amherst and should be able to do so any day I want. If you want to raise money for a charity go sell 50/50 tickets or tickets on an avon basket!!

• Also a Member
    January 18, 2010 - 11:07

Well said Mr.Wilson.That statement should drag out the boos.

• brian
    January 18, 2010 - 11:02

I regret that the Ducks unlimited tourney is not going ahead at amherst this year I personnaly looked forward to it. I understand the business approach of the golf course.they have to make money to survive. I wonder if the course would appreciate a business approach from ducks unlimited if they ask them to quote on fixing there washed out dam.....

• Also a Member
    January 18, 2010 - 11:01

To Female Member.Everytime they have a charity tournament,there is a 8:00 am shotgun before the fundraising tourament.So they don't close the course for the day.There is no sacrifice,set the alarm a little earlier.

• Fuzzy Bear
    January 18, 2010 - 11:01

Well there are a lot of really good comments on here and kudo's to Rod and Cheryl and all of the volunteers who organize these events for charity. Having been involved organizing events such as these before, many people do not realize the hard work these individuals put into these things especially behind the scenes. For the record I am and have been a member of the club for many years and have on several occasions played in these tournaments especially the DU - one of my Fav's-. When I don't play I certainly do not mind the shotgun starts.
    When I first joined the Amherst Club many years ago it had a reputation of being a good old boys club....and I must say I felt it did change for the better a few years back, However it is obvious it is reverting back to that format with the last several boards. This course is a very good public course located in Amherst Nova Scotia and not the Masters in Augusta. What we have to offer members has to be seriously reviewed to ensure its maintainence costs do not outweigh our revenue. The mind set of many of the current board and staff is they want the club to be more elite. Unfortunately being elite comes with a high price...lost members on fixed budgets because of rising dues or lost tournament revenue such as these two because of rental costs.
    This board and responsible staff had better take a long hard look at where our course is heading. Trying to turn this course into the #1 course in Canada will come with a high price for current members.
    To the Board....Once the members leave all you will be in contol of is one great big hay field! Mooooooo

• sadly
    January 18, 2010 - 10:59

Really, i mean really........i think that people have to remember they why of Charity events, then ask yourself, hmm finacial gain and charity event (if you are not the charity) should this be motive behind charity? umm, no i don't think that is they way it works. but sadly as it keeps getting pointed out to me every bloody day, more and more people have the attitude of what's in it for me instead of hey, im pretty good and confortable what can i do for my fellow man/woman?
    yes yes i know that business is business but one day here and there (especially for the charities that have been using the same golf course over the years) is better for business than saying hey, sorry we would love to help but...um sorry we can't actually help, but for a fee you may pay like everyone else and we more than gladly take away from the charity needs.
    sad....The only thing that makes me feel a little more uplifted about this whole deal is the fact that Karma always comes around, and the beauty of it is that you don't have to believe in it for it to kick you in the arse!

• Cheryl
    January 18, 2010 - 10:59

Sorry, I need to clarify some of the things written here today. Ducks Unlimited holds the event during the week day. Dooly's have held their tournaments on Saturday for four years, three of which have rained. Rod Wilson and Dooly's provide and donate firstly their time and volunteer for a charity which isn't even connected to Dooly's. It is for you a woman who hopefully will never have to endure Breast Cancer. Dooly's organizes door prizes out of their pocket. Dooly's provides shirts to the golfers. Dooly's and Ducks and the United Way (which cancelled last year due to increases) and the Kidney foundation brings individuals to the golf course and helps build and establish relationships with the Amherst Golf Course. I challenge the golf course to look at the various events on the calender of the golf course and see how many the golf course held for their own personal use. Scramble on a weekend in August to celebrate the 100 years. A day of 1909 pricing. Why not attempt to make those people pay full prices. You must realize a huge loss was seen on those days. If I were to a lose $7000 day in paint sales, you can be darn sure Benjamin Moore would be asking me how I was going to make that up especially when time is of the essence...we are now at the end of year.
    I would like to thank Sackville, Springhill and Northumberland for helping Ducks Unlimited negotiate a deal where we will feel welcomed and wanted. Sorry to our Amherst Members for the inconvenience, but you will find our prices will be able to remain the same as we embark on a new adventure and house the Ducks Unlimited Golf Tournament at another venue which will be advertised very shortly. Should you have any questions please call me at (902) 661-0682 Amherst Paint and Decor. Cheryl

• Female Member
    January 18, 2010 - 10:58

Cheryl
    You do have alot of valid points and I agree, no woman should have to go through the challenges associated with Breast Cancer or any other serious illness alone. We must remember at the end of the day, in the economy we are currently in, we all need to make money to maintain a business. Everyone involved in these tournaments help out in one way or another and the Amherst Golf is offering up the day around the tournament and closed to all others which is a sacrafice on their end. I believe if everyone works together these events would be successful for all parties involved.

• Rod
    January 18, 2010 - 10:56

Thank you Female Member . I appreciate you responding to my explanation. As is stated we had no problem when fees were even $30 as I believe all involved came ahead. If the course is giving up a premium time where these tournaments are taking away huge green fees then yes I would agree the course should charge more to charities. I am sure in larger like Moncton the courses are very busy on Saturday afternoons with regular green fee players due to population but as a former member of 14 years I can assure you Amherst is NOT packed mid afternoon on a Saturday so I thought they would be happy with 150 golfers guaranteed for the afternoon and offer a discount for bringing this business to them. All I ever wanted was a deal for me an ALL other well deserving charities that are trying to make a difference for their cause. It appears the board and Frank are set in their thinking but I really hope they would rethink their position on just how much money they need to take from each charity event. In the end the board speaks for the members...lets hope the members speak their minds!!

• Mark
    January 18, 2010 - 10:52

Speaking as a former member of the AGC I must say that i partially agree with Long time member I decided last year after the dooleys tournament that i would not play in it again because it was getting way out of hand.
    And as a former member i would have to say that i think that charities are great i give to as many as i can but I'm sure that the grounds keeper (peter) would be happy if they didn't return I'VE played in pretty much every tournament at one time or another and i can't tell you how many times I've seen non golfers getting intoxicated and driving power carts right across the greens or through bunkers!
    The damage done to the coarse is unbelievable after one of these events.
    A normal round of golf even with a few non golfers should last between 4 - 5 hours these things are going 6,7 or sometimes even longer.
    I realize that they are for really good causes but they are indeed getting way out of hand with the amount of people that have no respect for the golf coarse!!

• Devil's Advocate
    January 18, 2010 - 10:52

So everyone is pretty hot about this subject obviously, I hear a lot of valid points, but one fact that has not been brought up is that the AGC lets members play in these tourneys for free. So any revenue taken in by the charty from these members is not seen by the golf course. A large number of the people who have attended this event over the years are members. The dooly's tourney gives no discount to these people, but pays $0 for them to golf. That makes the average cost of each player considerably lower than the chart shown by cheryl above. I am a big fan of charity events and have had A LOT of sick people in my family. But fair is fair. The AGC is being fair. To cancel a charity event over the AGC charging the same rate as everyone else pays is definitly cutting off your nose to spite your face. In the case of the dooly's tourny golfers are encouraged to leave the course to buy their $4 beer at dooly's after it is finished. How much money do the coors light girls make? I'm sure that money could go to better use!

• Cheryl
    January 18, 2010 - 10:52

The next board meeting is scheduled for the first week in September. All members, please take into consideration the following formula...30 teams...

120 golfers @ $43 = $5,160
    120 golfers @ $35 = $4,200
    120 golfers @ $25 = $3,000

add in bar and food revenues, plus cart rentals, plus any extra revenues generated at the pro shop.

Has the golf course, ever exceeded or met those revenues without an organized event brought to them. I challenge the members to contact the golf course and ask for financial statements, which you are entitled to, then ask for a comparison from Dooly's tournament to an August Saturday Afternoon, which we take up the time for? What is your factual information then?

• Also A Club Member
    January 18, 2010 - 10:51

First off to club member ..are you for real? Do you REALLY think that way?? Well I too am a member but I certainly dont agree with your thinking(nor can I imagine many other ppl would).
    I for one am smart enought to know that giving up a half dozen afternoons to these scrambles not only helps out charities but brings in MUCH needed revenue to the course that helps keep my membership dues down. To me giving up these afternoons for scrambles is the same as me losing playing time out on course due to visiting green fee players all summer long. Its all big revenue that our course needs. Not having the Dooleys tournament to play in is a HUGE disappointment to me.

As a member I am more inconvienced with the EVERY Monday, Tues, Wed afternoon when I cant go out and play a regular round after work because of stuff going on. The course gives away 2 for 1 ($21) green fees on Tues and even $5 green fees on Wednesday nights with a drink included. But the board thinks charities should have to pay over $40??
    Heck my memberships has gone up I think about $120 in the past 2 years to help pay for Franks $90 000 driving range. What is the boards plan to recover the revenue lost by losing scrambles? let me guess...my membership is gonna go up again!!!

• Bubble Boy
    January 18, 2010 - 10:48

To Mark Bourgeous I just have to fill you in. This article wasnt written by the paper to get feedback on what tournament you like or dont like. While the Doolys and the Coors Girls theme wasnt for you what about the others that will suffer or perhaps be cancelled like Ducks, Kidney, United Way to name a few? I think Rods point from Doolys was to raise awareness to how ALL charities will be affected. You must like playing in at least one of the scrambles mentioned that you dont find too offensive? Think of the greater cause Mark!
    Also Im not sure where you have been playing your tournment that they have only taken 4hrs..not any that I have been at! Maybe at Bacons!! Any golfer know when they sign up for a charity tournament they are looking at around a 6hr day.
    Trust me Mark its not a hidden secret that this tournament is about fun an set up to entertain while raise money. If your not into that dont play. But please remember at the end of the day its a ton of money for cancer and the courses increased fee is only taking away a lot of research dollars for ALL charities!

• The Philanthropist
    January 18, 2010 - 10:47

Thanks for taking the time to clear it up, Rod.
    So, surely there must be some sort of common-ground price that can be agreed to to make this thing still happen.
    Hopefully, it can be found in time to save this worthwhile cause.

• Longtime Member
    January 18, 2010 - 10:47

Cheryl,

What is the typical member vs. non-member entry ratio.

Because members aren't charged, even at 50% member participation, with 120 golfers @ $13 increase, you'd only be looking at charging an extra 6.50 per golfer. My perception of these events is that the split is more like 75% members where the fee would be $3.25.

I'm missing how this is enough of a problem to cancel an event.

• Robert
    January 18, 2010 - 10:44

Also, as an addition, if you start demanding they donate or you'll boycott (or somesuch) it is no longer charity... it's extortion. So before the cries for *Pay up or I'm not golfing there anymore* become louder just think about that.

As an aside... I'm all for charitable events getting a break. I'm just not for forcing people into doing it.

• Husband is a member
    January 18, 2010 - 10:39

How is this even an issue when the Course prices are on par with the rest of the maritimes?????
    and as for generating revenue...instead of charging more and more each year for membership and losing members by the dozens when doing so. Keep the membership the same BUT add a credit to the fee. $150 or $200 that must be spent in the proshop, kitchen or bar. Maybe that would make the old money people in Amherst buy their lunch instead of bringing in sandwiches and water and eating them in the clubhouse.....and if they still continue to do that, take a stance and ask them to eat in their car in the parking lot!!!

• DJ
    January 18, 2010 - 10:39

I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't be in the club's best financial interest to have these tournaments even at a discounted rate. Often these tournaments are held mid-week when the majority of club members are working. Additionally, even though I do not have access to the club's books, I am sure the club has a huge profit margin on every alcoholic beverage sold at the course. I would think that between guaranteed golfers and beer sales, this would be a guaranteed money-maker for the course. And to club member your comments are disgraceful. I truly hope most club members do not think the way you do.

• Cheryl
    January 18, 2010 - 10:38

I need to ask one question to the Amherst Member up above...What do you recommend the Amherst Golf Course do when you aren't golfing to earn revenue? Then, why don't you ask what they are doing to sell the Amherst Golf Course to an individual? Are memberships up this year? If you look on Tuesday they are offering a deal to sell the club to non-members. If you look on Wednesday they are giving a deal to sell the club to a non-member again, and if I as a member play, also have to pay. If you look they offer every woman under the age of 35 a deal. What about the loyal man, what is his deal? Why does everyone else get a deal but the people who have been loyal all those years...cause as a member those are the questions I would be asking and will ask at the next meeting. So at the end of the day, as a member, what is in it for me? So after my several questions, I ask you Member what you are going to do, to help the Amherst Golf Course, recoup these loses? Would you personally take a hit of $10K, so that the Charities would go away?

• Take a stand!
    January 18, 2010 - 10:38

I say call the Amherst Golf Course and voice your opinions! call Frank McShane at the course @ 667-8730 or maybe talk to a board member

• unhappy member
    January 18, 2010 - 10:38

good point cheryl...its good for you to point out the financial numbers that the course can potentially earn allowing a tournament. and i agree there is absolutely no way they make anywhere near that $$ on a regular day..
    and whats with frank mcshanes comment about the having to sell a lot of potatoe chips to run the course?? from what im read from the article and roddys posts i dont think anyone wanted the course for free and for the course to just take money from potatoe chips sales?? and im guessing there is good money in beer sales on especially that tournament and others to help offset the small $10 discount the charities are looking for...a smart person would see that....oh right...key word being smart

• Also a Member
    January 18, 2010 - 10:35

No way will the AGC have an emergency meeting.The club is run by a bunch of people who like to see their names as a board member and they can add it to their list of life long accomplishments and resumes.TOOO many big echos that don't want to get hurt.......

• Rod
    January 18, 2010 - 10:34

To A Female Member and The Philanthropist I would like to respond to your question of what does Doolys contribute to the Tournament is Doolys simply the face of the fundraiser ?
    We in a way are simply the face of the tournament. That is because its the almost 200 or so golfers and volunteers and generous corporate hole sponsors who are the true backbone of this tournament. As far as what Doolys contributes?? Besides the probable 100 hours of my time and the generous time donated by other volunteers we do contribute financially. With team prizes given to everyone and as well as the contest prizes on the course it is estimated that this event in the past has cost Doolys and Molson around $5000 -$6000 out of pocket to run. This financial commitment makes sense to do if the return can be greater than the investment which in the past is have as we have made anywhere from $8000-$10 000 but now with the 40% increase in course green fees this number would drop drastically.
    Four years ago Doolys Inc as a chain had committed to raising $100 000/year for ten years for a total of 1 Million donated to Breast Cancer Research. Each of the 70 or so stores in the chain was asked to raise $1000 with Doolys inc covering the balance to get to the $100 000. Almost all Doolys organized smaller fundraisers in their stores to acheve their $1000 goal.
    Having lost my own mother to cancer 15 years ago when she was only 49 I took this challange very personal and set out to do as much as I could to raise money that to help beat cancer so fewer families would have to go through what mine and too many other families already have.
    Because Amherst ppl always get behind most great causes and because I myself had played in and sponsored many charity golf tournaments I thought I would take it one step bigger and bring my fundraiser out of the store and to the golf course. I did this in hopes of raising more money which, with the help of great sponsors and faithful players, we have been able to do for the past 4 years.
    I too run a business in this great town so I do understand that the goal of every business is to make money. But at no time have I asked the course to give away the course for free . I was happy the first year to pay the $20 and was ok 2 yrs ago when they went to $30...but now at $43 its just too much.
    These tournament are typically run at times when the course isnt very busy and I ask the question how much in green fees does the course make on a Saturday afternoon?? I am pretty sure it is NOWHERE near the thousands in GUARANTEED revenue they get from hosting a charity tournament.

Thak you
    Rod Wilson

• Female Member
    January 18, 2010 - 10:33

Roddy
    I, myself fully understand the fundraisers people do and support them fully, I too lost my mother at a very young age, 50 to the disease. I guess before ( including myself) people get defensive and uptight , they should have the facts. $43 is the everyday price so it really is not fair to run such a suceessful event expecting people to pay full price. $25-$30 is fair and the Amherst Golf Course should be honored to participate in such an event where everyone comes out on top! Next time I will step back and review all the facts prior to making a comment. Good luck Rod and all other volunteers in making this event happen and successful!

• Cheryl
    January 18, 2010 - 10:31

Robert, thanks for your input, unfortunately maybe you misunderstood my position here. I am certainly not putting a gun to the Amherst Golf Course to give me a deal, I am simply finding another venue. We needed to say something as I am sure it is very evident that the wrong information was given to individuals as to why we aren't there this year. Also, I have heard over and over again at the Amherst Club how revenues are down. Memberships are down. Perhaps, it has to do with the fact that voices are not being heard. Perhaps, it is because there is a time and a place where you run a business like a business and you lose money and loyalty. Ask the Amherst Daily News, they can tell you a story of how Earl Gouchie ran it with heart and made money doing it, and now...they run it like a business.

• Cheryl
    January 18, 2010 - 10:30

Wow, interesting point...Good Point, do you want to make this personal to distract from the real issue. Every day I am hit with a request to donate paint. I have played in countless events sponsoring holes at the Amherst Golf Course. I have donated to Softball organizations. I've donated paint to a family who was losing their mother to cancer. I donated paint to the Town of Amherst for a dressing room even after the big fiasco. I was taught once by a NS Chamber of Commerce President that you should never open your mouth unless you have the facts or you will be embarrassed. You good point, I challenge to provide your name so that I may send you my list of donations and discounted paint to charities. Don't see you helping out any charities...oh that is right...you will not disclose your name. Also, good point...not only is product a donation, but so is time. I have donated countless and tireless hours from my family and my business to help several organizations. So run a fact finding mission before you run your mouth and you should be OK in the future. So back to the issue at hand. Ducks and Dooly's have always offered discounted fees for Amherst Golf Course Members. Last year at Ducks it was $80 for non members and $40 for members.

• Mark
    January 18, 2010 - 10:29

I don't know Frank - if you want to sell golf and boost membership - you have to get none members out on your course and WOW them with your product!

I've golfed Amherst quite a bit the last couple of years, the course is nice - but the attitude I could live with out.

To Cheryl and Rod - another good host course - Memramcook!

• hacker
    January 18, 2010 - 10:29

everyone should get all the facts before they throw the golf club under the bus