Halifax Mooseheads turned down on appeal request into hit on Jonathan Drouin

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

HALIFAX - The general manager of the Halifax Mooseheads says an appeal request into a non-suspension ruling for a hit from behind on forward Jonathan Drouin was turned down by the QMJHL without it ever being heard.

Mooseheads forward Jonathan Drouin was knocked out of Friday's game against the Quebec Remparts with concussion-like symptoms.

Cam Russell said Monday the team put forward the request last week, but added he was told they were turned down because appeals are only heard for actual suspensions, not when a team believes one is warranted.

“It’s disappointing. That’s the best way to put it,” Russell said of this latest decision by the QMJHL. “But it’s time to move on.”

The hit on Drouin, the team’s star player, happened in a game Dec. 6 at the Metro Centre.

Drouin was hit by Quebec Remparts forward Adam Erne and was left bleeding from his forehead and later diagnosed with a concussion.

Erne earned a game misconduct and no further action was taken by the QMJHL.

In response to there being no suspension, Russell told Metro on Dec. 8 he was “baffled” by the decision.

“Drouin goes head first into the boards, he’s cut him open. Drouin misses that game plus another game. Don’t ask me to explain it, because I can’t,” he said then.

“But I can say that that it’s sending the wrong message.”

Drouin has now joined the Canadian junior team, and returned to the ice for the first time Monday since the hit happened.

- by Philip Croucher - Metro Halifax

Organizations: QMJHL, Metro Centre.Drouin

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments