© Dave Mathieson - Amherst Daily News
Spartans swimmers gathered Monday afternoon at their home pool at the Cumberland YMCA to display ribbons recently won at a development meet in Summerside, PEI. The athletes are: (front) George Clark, (back, from left) Kaitlin Baker, Jonathan Rogers, Katelyn MacNeil and Emily Rossong.
AMHERST – The weather outside may be freezing but the Spartans know how to heat things up in the pool.
Eight swimmers earned a total of 27 personal best times and as many top ten finishes at a recent meet in Summerside, PEI.
“It was billed as the ‘January Freeze’ development meet, and with their impressive results I would say everyone is developing very nicely,” said Spartans coach Jan Matthews. “Each swimmer placed fifth or better in at least one of their events.”
- George Clark placed first in the 50-metre butterfly and earned second place finishes in the 50-metre freestyle, 50-metre breaststroke and 100-metre individual medley events. He recorded three personal bests during the meet.
- Katelyn MacNeil swam to first place in the 100-metre backstroke and earned a strong second in the 200-metre freestyle. She ranked fourth in the 50-metre butterfly and fifth in the 50-metre breaststroke events, earning best times with each swim.
- Ariel Betts earned best times in all of her events as she placed first in the 100-metre IM, adding a sixth in the 50-metre backstroke and placing ninth in the 50-mtere freestyle and 50-metre breaststroke.
- Emily Rossong finished second in the 200-metre breaststroke, third in the 50-metre backstroke and seventh in the 50-metre freestyle and 50-metre breaststroke events. She recorded personal bests with every swim.
- Jenna Cail claimed second place in the 100-metre backstroke, sixth in the 50-metre freestyle and seventh in the 50-metre fly. She swam all personal bests.
- Jonathan Rogers also bettered his time with every swim, ranking second in the 200-metre IM and sixth in the 50-metre fly and 100-metre backstroke events.
- Newcomer Kaitlin Baker recorded personal bests as she placed third in the 100-metre free and fourth in the 50-metre backstroke.
- Daphne Fawthrop ranked fifth in the 100-metre freestyle and sixth in the 50-metre breaststroke and 50-metre butterfly events. She recorded best times with each of these swims.
The Spartans continue their training at the YMCA as they prepare for upcoming meets.