Ramblers beat Commandos, lose to Mariners

Amherst Daily News
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Danny Harquail carries the puck up ice against the Yarmouth Mariners Saturday night at Amherst Stadium. Harquail is seventh on the Ramblers scoreboard with eight goals and 12 assists in 24 games.

AMHERST – After a 3-2 overtime loss Saturday night at Amherst Stadium, the Amherst CIBC Wood Gundy Ramblers bounced back on Sunday with a 4-2 Maritime Hockey League win over the Dieppe Commandos.

The Ramblers scored the only first period marker. Brett Shute got the goal off feeds from Ben Berisha and Josh Pugsley.

The Ramblers went up 3-0 early in the second period off goals from Maxime Richard and Kody Orr. Cam McDonald and Willie MacDonald assisted on the Richard goal, and Patrick Harrison and Berisha assisted on the Orr goal.

The Commandos made it a 3-1 at 6:17 into the second period but nobody was able to score for the rest of the frame.

Danny Harquail put the Ramblers up 4-1 at 2:10 into the third period with assists from Jamie Bishop and Maxime Richard.

The Commandos rounded out the scoring at 10:21 into the third, making it a 4-2 final.

Ramblers goaltender Richard Tingley faced 32 shots and his teammates fired 34 shots at Commandos goaltender Connor Wilkinson.

376 people attended the game.

Ramblers vs. Mariners

Down 2-0 early in the first period, the Ramblers tied their game up against the Yarmouth Junior A Mariners Saturday night at Amherst Stadium, forcing an overtime frame.

“We got behind early with a couple of deflections that got behind us, but the boys battled hard,” said Jim Bottomley, Ramblers coach and general manager. “We were short in the line here tonight with MacPherson and Berisha out, and Brock Morrison was hurt early on.”

Bottomley said he was proud of the team’s effort.

“We never gave up,” he said.

McDonald was assessed a game misconduct penalty on an interference call with 11 seconds left in the game.

“We kept working but with a call like that late in the game, it’s tough to take.

With McDonald out of the game, the Ramblers entered over time down a man and Yarmouth scored late in the power play to win it.

“We came close (to winning) tonight and hopefully we sent them the message that we’re not going to stop,” said Bottomley. “We got one point out of it but it would have been nice to get two.”

Down 2-0, the Ramblers Mitchell O’Neill scored with 1:35 left in the first off assists from Jesse MacInnis and Orr.

Richard scored the only goal in the second period, tying the game 2-2. Patrick Harrison assisted on the goal.

No goals were scored during the third period, sending the game into over time.

With the Ramblers down a player for sudden death over time, the Mariners’ Josh Desmond scored the game winner for he Mariners.

Tingley played in goal for the Ramblers, and the Ramblers outshot the Mariners 51-36.

759 people attended the game.

The Ramblers next game is Saturday at 7 p.m. against the Metro Shipbuilders.



Organizations: Mariners, Amherst CIBC Wood Gundy Ramblers, Maritime Hockey League Metro Shipbuilders

Geographic location: Amherst Stadium

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page