Rogers stance hypocritical

Editor:

I find it surprising Rogers is not offering the new BlackBerry Z30. Despite less than stellar sales, BlackBerry out sells other manufacturers Rogers carries, particularly in Canada. Surprising, as a Canadian company, BlackBerry is a big supporter of the Rogers owned Blue Jays and Canadian universities. BlackBerry takes out a significant amount of ad space with Rogers, yet Rogers promotes American and Asian phones!

Perhaps most surprising, ‎Rogers and other Canadian cellular carriers have an aggressive ad campaign against American company Verizon wanting to compete in the Canadian market. Arguing Rogers has Canada's best interests at heart.

Not only does Rogers have poor regional coverage in Saskatchewan, they are now turning their back on a Canadian company, one who has apparently wasted their ad budget on Rogers. And, most surprisingly, evil American company Verizon IS carrying the new BlackBerry Z30 super-phone, which critics are saying is quite slick with large HD display!

Guess Canadian Rogers customers have to wait for Verizon to show up to get a Canadian Z30?‎

Nick Henselmeier - Saskatoon

Geographic location: Canada, Saskatchewan

Comments

Comments

• Conrad
    December 08, 2013 - 13:40

I have had a BlackBerry Z30 for almost a month and love the phone. The new BlackBerry 10 OS is great and I think BlackBerry's biggest problem is getting consumers to try their new phones. Most people who say "iPhone is better" are comparing a new or maybe one year old iPhone to a 3 or 4 year old BlackBerry. My new Z30 has better specs than an iPhone, has NFC, microSD etc. Solid. Great battery life. Better GPS etc. I just don't get why BlackBerry doesn't pick up the advertising budget, to let consumers know how good their new phones are. BlackBerry still has cash reserves, why not ramp up ads?

• hensel
    October 14, 2013 - 19:13

Ironic, but BBM was the only functional service for Rogers customers during their recent service interruption. Or so reports state, as I had switched to SaskTel after a brief disappointing Rogers Sony experience. I am happy to be on the home SaskTel network, with good province wide service with my home grown powerful new BlackBerry

• Rogers Hater
    October 13, 2013 - 14:04

Now Rogers claims to be carrying the new Z30, but only by special order. That's messed up. Rogers should let buyers pick for themselves. If they don't want to carry them own up, no one is going to special order a phone they can't see. Rogers sucks for rural service and Rogers sucks for Canada. My S3 sucks on the Rogers network. Probably should try a Z30 in a year, on SaskTel.

• Touche
    October 09, 2013 - 21:29

Isn't is ironic that the day after this is published, Rogers has a Canada wide service interruption? Kind of poetic justice, they chose the less secure iPhone with huge security flaw exposed, over the secure Blackberry Z30 and days later their network poops out? All the more reason to go with SaskTel All the more reason to get a soon to be released Blackberry Z30 when they come out with #SaskTel, after you switch from #Rogers that is! Couldn't have happened to a meaner company though I agree with SaskTel customer, you shouldn't do Rogers in #western Canada anyway. Here's hoping the #CRTC tells Rogers that their own poor service is all the more reason Canadians need Verizon! Or some one other than the crooked big two of Rogers and #Bell!

• SaskTel Customer
    October 08, 2013 - 22:52

To be fair, SaskTel and Telus will both offer the new Z30, so Canadians do not need to wait for Verizon to get the new Blackberry super phone. As well, SaskTel offers excellent coverage across all areas of the province, so those in rural areas know better than to use Rogers for cell coverage. I am waiting for my current SaskTel contract to expire to upgrade to my first smart phone, which I plan to make a Blackberry. It's Canadian, my wife uses for her small business and likes her new Q10. I think SaskTel offers a full range of Blackberry phones, so who in Saskatchewan cares what Rogers does, when they don't provide good service in Western Canada anyway?

• Rogers Hater
    October 08, 2013 - 20:39

Rogers sucks if you live anywhere with less than 200,000 people!