Locals join national protest against closing parliament

Monique Chiasson

TRURO - Anti-prorogation demonstrators in Truro made their opinions known loud and clear on the weekend.

"It's an abuse of power ... that he's chosen to take a vacation instead of doing his job," said Truro's Evan Price of Prime Minister Stephen Harper's decision to prorogue Parliament until March.

About 20 people gathered in front of Truro-Bible Hill MP Scott Armstrong's constituency office on the Esplanade Saturday afternoon, peacefully protesting Harper's shutdown of Parliament until March.

About 30 pieces of bristle board were crammed onto both windows of Armstrong's office. Each one had the letters R.I.P. and stood for "a bill that Parliament has let die," said Price.

The Truro protest was one of about 45 prorogation protests across Canada Saturday.

Armstrong told the Truro Daily News he was not offended by the local protest.

"Everyone has the right to participate in a protest; that's their democratic right," said Armstrong, who did not find out about the gathering until Saturday evening. At that point he helped take down some of the remaining posters on his office's windows.

"Yes, they had R.I.P. on them but it's not about us dying as a party but about the bills" in legislature, he said.

Armstrong said the prorogation doesn't reflect him personally.

"I'm using this time to do work for my constituency ... I'm not letting (prorogation) stop me."

Harper has defended the decision to prorogue until March 3, saying the extra time was needed to adjust the government's policies now that the economy has moved from recession into the recovery phase.

mchiasson@trurodaily.com

Organizations: Armstrong's, Truro Daily News

Geographic location: Canada

Comments

Comments

• Liberals Rock
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Norman Farrell - if you know the answer, could you please share it with us - the great LIBERAL PM Jean Chretien prorogued Parliament how many times???? Get off the hate conservative band wagon - they're all the same!

• norman farrell
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

I'm not hating conservatives today or ever,I loved Joe Clark,Robert Stanfield,and Flora Macdonald.I do despise being duct -taped,I have no respect for one person that would do it, when he and his entire cabinet do so from day one,and still are at it 4 years later,the cumulative effect leaves me nothing to be apologetic for.
    Show me some regard and I will show you some respect.
    It takes guts to stand in public,to stand for marginalized groups ,with no ulterior motive.It's easy to criticize through emphasizing what one is not.if you need to say what you actually stand for ,you need to be willing to back it up someday.
    So say nothing of substance flogger,and his ilk,and by all means continue to do so anonymously, we all know one could be open to ridicule if we'd the stones to post anything under an actual name.

• Aline
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Yes, the government is doing a good job in Haiti. However, by shutting down parliament they are doing a diservice to all Canadians. Many bills are waiting debate - things wihich concern the welfare of all citizens in this country.

• flogger
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

NORMAN, whatever you're on, can I have some?

• Reg
    March 01, 2010 - 14:40

Chretien prorogued parliament 4 times.

Trucker... it is not Harper down there helping the Haitians... he is no saint!

• Richard
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

My father, Adelard Provencher donated four years in WW 11, two of which was with Bomber Command HQ in England, directing up to 1,000 allied bombers, in one mission against the enemy. Many men and women of their ilk, fought for our right to speak up in freedom about issues which concern us.
    And I agree wholeheartedly with our Conservative MP Scott Armstrong that he is not upset with Norman Farrells right to speak his point of view. I too, am a proud Canadian, living in what my wife, Esther and I, consider to be the best town to live in Canada. However, I do take umbrage with several of Mr. Farrells points. Since we are on the opposite sides of the political spectrum, it may be difficult to convince one another who is the most enlightened. Mr. Farrell refers to Conservative attack-ads brainwashing people, but I believe Canadians are mature enough to draw their own conclusions. It was Mr. Chretien who was the master of attack ads (he introduced them first in elections), as he decimated Mr. Day with them in a former election campaign even calling him the leader of the dark side, a nasty reference to Mr. Days personal faith.
    Regards to the recent prorogue-demonstrators, in which Mr. Farrell stated he took part; I wish everyone would look at the whole picture about why they were protesting and not simply inhale media headlines and sometimes ill-informed exaggerations. Ie some stories say the PM went on vacation? Folks, no one is busier these days.
    Also, all MPs from all parties work hard for their constituency, whether Parliament is in session or not. The media reports this last Parliament was the longest one ever held. This current prorogue is a whole extra fifteen days (not one, two, nor three months as bandied about); plus eight days during the Olympics, agreed to by all parties. Besides, democracy is not threatened as some shout, since it was the Liberal dominated Senate which recently overruled the passing of several important bills, by Parliament, even though Mr. Ignatieff asked them to pass the bills, as is, without amendments. What happened to Parliaments authority, in this instance?
    Mr. Farrell alludes to the supposition new Conservative talking points may denigrate protestors in our efforts to help in Haiti. This is way out of the ball park, since everyone wishes the best for this proud nation. We must, all of us, help in their recovery. In fact, no Canadian government has ever provided such massive help to a nation in need, even removing the donor cap, and done on behalf of all Canadians. My wife and I met our PM recently in Truro, and he came across as a keen and hardworking person on behalf of all citizens; that is the mark of a great leader. I look forward to meeting with Mr. Farrell one day and thanking him for sharing his views, and I know he will also support my right to share mine.

• norman farrell
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

I was there ,a proud Canadian.Not as a Liberal,although I was delighted to be in the company of Jim Burrows.Yes ,I am a liberal minded person,you may even call me a socialist as long as you know what it means.
    I am not a member of the elite ,although I've always striven to be considered so.A reminder to those who've lately been brain washed by conservative attack -ads. The elite are not contemptible,they are our finest,our soldiers,athletes,and statesmen/women.
    The nay sayers will focus on one of two points,first the slim numbers of protesters at the rallies across Canada.To those I say democracy isn't meant to be swayed by the minority group ,the splinter group or special interest group.However a true democracy does listen to any and all.No matter how Tony Clemente tells it!
    3%,1% or 10 % don't dictate to the majority,but if their mouths are effectively duct taped,then they may as well live in a totalitarian state.The marginalized don't demand their agenda be followed or implemented but they do demand,their voice be heard.
    That is not a lot to ask.
    Of course after Saturday the new Conservative talking point will be the subversion of the great Canadian relief effort ,or detraction from it ,caused by the protests.Can our country walk and chew gum at the same time?Are all of us compelled to concentrate on this one effort.I for one participated in two protests ,still contributed all I had to the Red Cross ,and will do so weekly until all I can do has been done.Caring about Haiti doesn't preclude thinking .or acting in response to other ongoing or upcoming events .This concerted effort of our government is laudable,but let's not forget another issue of monumental proportions Canada is a participant in a war.Both efforts do not need to be debated on their merits,helping the people of Afghanistan and Haiti. However , our citizens are essentially told their focus must remain on the relief effort, that their finding our democracy wanting is a waste of everyone's time. Questioning the other mission in any way shape or form apparently labels one a traitor.
    These responses by the PPC diminish our rights to a level lower than that we'd instill in Afghanistan or revive in Haiti.
    I guess I am a traitor,Mr Harper, since you and your ilk dismiss me with that epiphet for having the guts to question whether or not you are risking the lives of our youth in a competent manner or for a just reason.
    All the Vietnam war protesters were wrong / traitorous as well ,weren't they? Apparently history tells it differently .
    I will protest ,whatever I find makes me feel indignant,others may or may not join in.Steven Harper you may ignore me ,but you'll never shame nor deter me by calling me liberal,socialist,traitor,or elitist,that will not suffice.

• Trucker on the move
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

What a bunch of yahoos. With all tha Canada is doing in Haiti, they should be commend our PM.

• Politics as usual
    March 01, 2010 - 14:39

Yet more ridiculous demonstration by folks not well versed in actual politics. These people complain so they have something to complain about. I do not support Stephen Harper or The Conservative Party, but certainly didn't honk in your support when I drove by. I often wonder why protesters aren't treated like the distraction to drivers that they are. People are not supposed to be looking at your signs when they are behind the wheel, so hats off to supporting careless driving. You cannot make a difference in that manner without massive public support, which you do not have; Liberal, Conservative, NDP, or otherwise.

Not to mention that people like Norman do their cause a disservice by publicly spouting the agenda in one of the worst examples of English writing I've seen in quite some time.

Not many people will take you seriously if you can't spell or punctuate properly - a hard lesson of the real world.