Standoff outside Stewiacke ends peacefully

Jason Malloy
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

LANESVILLE, Colchester Co. - The man who held police at bay for more than a day-and-a-half is scheduled to be in court this morning to answer to several firearms charges, police said last night.
Clifford Carl Brown, 44, surrendered at 5:50 p.m., in the 2600 block of Stewiacke Road.
"The officers were driving by and noticed him ... coming out of the road," said RCMP Cpl. Joe Taplin. "When police approached him, he asked if we were the real police, and he surrendered without incident. ... Luckily we got him before sunset."
An undisclosed number of people in the hamlet community were evacuated as police searched for the man. The residents were pleased he was caught before nightfall.
"It's a relief to the neighbourhood, all the people that were out of their homes," said Kenneth LeBlanc, who lives at the intersection of the Stewiacke and Alton roads, where police set up a roadblock.
"It's good that they can go back and get back to their families. ... It would have been a severe threat come darkness."
The armed standoff started early Monday when the RCMP received a call at 7:20 a.m., from a Lanesville resident who said her husband was shot at as he drove on the Jameson Road.
Police responded and the suspect barricaded himself inside his 16-foot-by-16-foot cabin that does not have power, phone or running water.
But before noon yesterday the man made a run for it into the woods, leaving many people wondering how that could happen if the area was surrounded.
Police had to move back after noticing the individual with a long arm rifle they estimated could reach 300 to 500 metres.
"We had to extend our perimeter back a bit. The woods were fairly close to his residence, he came out of his residence and fled into the woods and that's when the officers lost sight of him," Taplin said.
After he escaped, police cordoned off the Stewiacke, Lane Cross, Old Cloverdale and Alton roads. More than 50 police officers from across the Maritimes were brought in to assist in the investigation, which included air and ground searches. Police described the man as "armed and dangerous."
Area resident Gary Webster said there are lots of logging roads and ATV trails in the woods near the man's home. He also said there are a number of tree stands set up by hunters.
"He could probably stay in one for a couple of days because he lived next to a shelter to begin with," he said. "My tree stand probably looks better."
Webster spoke to the man in the spring about parts for his truck.
"He didn't seem too stable so I didn't stay and talk to him too long," he said, describing him as a "little hyper."
Webster was waiting to hear from a doctor regarding a cancer operation when he was evacuated.
Marion McFadden was in the Gagetown, N.B., when she heard what was happening back home on Monday night. She returned home yesterday but police still had the roadblocks in place.
"It's really scary for the people that live right around here," she said.
Clarence Bourgeois left his home yesterday morning for Truro. When he came back, police told him he could not get into his home.
"It's strange," he said. "He's disturbed or something, I feel bad for him."
He was concerned about his nine-year-old Chihuahua but did not blame police for the evacuation.
"They're doing the best they can without anybody getting hurt," Bourgeois said.

Organizations: RCMP, Colchester Co.

Geographic location: Stewiacke Road, LANESVILLE, Alton Jameson Road Gagetown Chihuahua

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page