BORDEN-CARLETON, P.E.I. - A P.E.I. water and sewer employee has been placed on leave while police investigate a Facebook posting that reportedly said he might shut off a chlorine pump, leading to a possible repeat of the tragedy in Walkerton, Ont.
John Bernard, chair of the community council in Borden-Carleton, P.E.I., confirmed that employee Scott Campbell has been placed on interim paid leave.
The Summerside Journal-Pioneer obtained a copy of the post, which has reportedly been removed.
The newspaper said the comment posted on Campbell's online Facebook profile reads, in part: ''i think it is time i looked for a new job then we will see what it cost the community to have to pay for someone to look after the water and sewer system.
''Or maybe i will just shut off the chlorene pump and we could have a nother walkerton then i will not have a job be cause i will be in jail. ...''
Lewie Sutherland, the acting chief of the Borden-Carleton police force, says the case is under investigation and witnesses are being interviewed.
A decision on whether charges will be laid could come as early as Thursday, Sutherland said.
''The investigation is three quarters finished and when it's finished, we'll sit down and discuss it with the Crown prosecutor,'' he said.
Bernard said he didn't wish to comment further while the investigation continues.
''We're going to wait to see what happens with the police part of it,'' he said.
Campbell is the community's sole employee for water and sewer services, which is just part of his work as maintenance person.
The community office said Campbell was notified of the leave on Monday.
Bernard said the community typically uses a private firm when Campbell is off work for reasons such as vacation.
Campbell could not be reached for comment.
Many Borden-Carleton residents have recently been angered about proposed hikes to water and sewer rates. But in recent public meetings, some have also complained about the taste of the chlorinated water.
The Walkerton water tragedy happened in 2000. Seven people died and hundreds got sick after E. coli got into the Ontario community's water system.