Woman, cat safe after apartment fire

Rose Willigar
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

PARRSBORO - It was the strange smell and sounds that caused Brenda Rushton to get up shortly before 6 a.m. on April 3 to find her apartment at 44 Main Street in Parrsboro ablaze.

Rushton, who made it safely out of the apartment to a nearby neighbours with only the flannel nightgown she was wearing, told firefighters of her two cats left in the apartment.

Unfortunately, firefighters found one of her cats (Bud) who did not survive the fire, but with further inspection found one scared little Angel, who survived after being in the apartment for close to two hours.

The fire that started in the kitchen was so intense it melted the steel fridge door, Rushton said.

When I got out of the apartment, with only my flannel nightgown, and no shoes or anything, a nearby neighbour Loretta Taylor picked me up and called the fire department.

After being checked out by a veterinarian for smoke inhalation, Angel is home safely with Rushton, who is staying at a friends house because of the damage done by the fire to her apartment.

Fire chief Jim Atkinson said the accidental fire started somewhere around the stove.

Its hard to say if the stove was faulty, but, from all indications, the fire started somewhere in the area of where the stove was, the fire chief said.

Other than the damage to Rushtons apartment the fire chief said the other three apartments in the building also suffered smoke damage but all residents made it out safely.



Geographic location: PARRSBORO, 44 Main Street

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments