Fage, Scott support Casey

Darrell
Darrell Cole

AMHERST - While veteran MP Bill Casey is a pariah among Conservatives, he still has the support of Cumberland County's two MLAs.

Both independent MLA Ernie Fage in Cumberland North and Justice Minister and Cumberland South MLA Murray Scott will continue to support Casey, even if he chooses to run as an independent in the next federal election - widely expected to happen later this fall, possibly early December.

"I'm a very strong supporter of Bill Casey and he's worked hard on behalf of his constituents for a lot of years," Fage said. "I will continue to support him through the next election and beyond."

While some members of the provincial caucus have indicated they will support the Conservative candidate in the next election, Fage said he could not support anyone other than someone he has worked beside for more than a decade.

"I can only speak for myself because at this point I'm under a temporary suspension from caucus and haven't had a huge amount of contact with my colleagues, but I will be supporting Bill in the next election no matter what happens," Fage said.

Scott said he considers Casey much more than a political colleague.

"Bill and I have been friends a lot longer than political colleagues. He's a personal friend who has helped me a lot," Scott said. "Whatever he decides to do I will support him. When I first ran for political office he helped me a tremendous amount. He not only campaigned with me, he helped me on issues. He's a good man and I'll be there for him."

dcole@amherstdaily.com

Geographic location: AMHERST, Cumberland County, Cumberland North

Comments

Comments

• Karen
    January 18, 2010 - 11:16

Brian I don't understand why you think that Bill Casey will not get anything done for anyone anymore, you live in Amherst and you should be a supporter otherwise you shouldnt be saying your from Amherst. Your definitely not game player so you should leave.

• b
    January 18, 2010 - 11:16

hellooooo Brian... if you take the percentage of the comments... you are losing!...Harper has made it very clear from words from his own mouth that he doesn't like us.... soooo according to my math calculations 0 minus 0 equals 0!! But sticking with Bill Casey will mean he will HONESTLY fight tooth and nail for us..(win or lose) which is a first in the DIRTY WORLD OF POLITICS! And if we could stop contributing to the federal government, for communist reasons, we will feed our own DAM COWS!

• Craig
    January 18, 2010 - 11:15

Although I am not much of an Ernie The Hit-and-Run artist fan, I think that he is right in supporting Bill Casey.

I also commend Murray Scott for his support. He didn't wait to see where the chips would fall before supporting Bill Casey very soon after Harper's announcement.

Lets break the endless cycle of vote for me no matter what I do because otherwise you won't get any favours in your area . Really where has this mentality gotten us? We are still a have-not province after all these years of that same old cycle.

• Brian
    January 18, 2010 - 11:15

These two better decide what is more important to their constituents- A friendship with Bill which may help them sleep at night (commendable) or funding of federal programs, projects etc in their ridings (reality).

The riding will get nothing with Bill ever again. As much as we may not like that- that is how our system works.

Until that system is changed through democratic reform, which will take decades we will be forgotten.

And before you jump all over this post- Every non member riding feels the effect of not being a part of government - regardless of party in power. History proves this.

I have supported Bill in every election since 1988, however I cannot continue to support him because I feel our riding needs the support of government to more forward.

It's not fair, but life isn't fair. That's the way it is.

• kurt
    January 18, 2010 - 11:14

No Kidding? ,,,life isn't fair ,so what's new ! I can sleep better at night without rather than kissing Harper's A** to have . There's no substitute for being right and Bill is right.

• Brian
    January 18, 2010 - 10:55

Being right don't feed the cows Kurt- good bye Fed $$ for farmers....

• R Wayne
    January 18, 2010 - 10:51

SIR
    IT WOULD; INDEED BE A PLEASURE TO BE AT MR Casey,s side when he b uries both Ronald Mac Donald and P.M Harper, in a place nicely covered with their own political dirt.