Top floor of two-story house, former shoe shop
Amherst firefighters were callled to the scene of a house fire at 35 Albion Street shortly before midnight Saturday night.
AMHERST (Staff) - Amherst firefighters were called to the scene of a house fire at 35 Albion Street shortly before midnight Saturday night.
Upon arrival, they found the second story of the former location of Ward's Shoe repair ablaze with large flames coming out of the front and back windows of the left side of the home.
Amherst fire chief Bill Crossman, familiar with the structure, said the blaze was in both the living room and bedroom areas of the home.
One man at the scene was taken into an ambulance by the EHS on site. It was not known if he was an occupant of the home or the status of his health.
Crews of firefighters entered the building including a group wearing Scott air packs that examined the top floor and help to extinguish the blaze. The firefighters were drenched in sweat as they debriefed with their Lieutenant.
A hole was cut in the roof near the flu and the chimney itself was checked to ensure no fire remained.
Firefighters remained on the scene after 1 a.m.