Casey can win as an Independent: political analyst

Jason Malloy

TRURO - Conservative or not, Bill Casey still has a good chance of winning the next federal election, says a political science professor.

"I think he has won a lot of respect for standing up to the prime minister and I think people will reward him in the next election in his constituency," said Jim Bickerton, St. Francis Xavier University.

Wednesday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper closed the door on any chance of Casey's return to the Conservative caucus and declared a different candidate will run for the party in the next federal election. Casey broke ranks with the party by voting against the Conservative's budget in the spring because it altered the Atlantic Accord. But he was praised across the country and here at home for the position.

"I think that principled stance is likely to serve him well if he decides to run as an Independent in the next election," Bickerton said. "I think that he'll likely pull votes from across the political spectrum."

Translation: People who would have voted NDP or Liberal as opposed to Conservative may now mark an X on the ballot for Casey.

Casey received 52 per cent of the vote during the 2006 election garnering more votes than the other four candidates combined.

Bickerton isn't the only person who thinks Casey has a chance as an Independent.

"I would think it would be close to impossible for any of the other parties, including the Conservatives, my party, to get elected," said Nova Scotia

Agriculture Minister Brooke Taylor adding he will support his party's candidate. "That's not to say that it couldn't be done."

Organizations: St. Francis Xavier University, Conservatives

Geographic location: Nova Scotia

Comments

Comments

• roger
    January 18, 2010 - 11:22

1. Has someone ever been elected as a dependent?

2. There's no doubt in my mind that if and when Rodney macDonald gets booted as premier, Bill Casey could step into the Conservative leadership right away and get back into power in his first election as leader.

• bob
    January 18, 2010 - 11:18

I heard Mr. Casey plans to run as an Independent Progressive Conservative. Wouldn't it be interesting to see him win and others join a renewed PC Party?? Maybe even David Orchard............(I wonder if Peter (Mr. Integrity) MacKay remembers him.

In answer to those being elected as an Independent.....former Moncton Mayor Leonard Jones did in 1972. Then PC Leader Robert Stanfield would not let him run because of his controversial views on language. Jones ran and won as a PC (People's Choice) candidate.
    Bob

• Karen
    January 18, 2010 - 10:59

I don't understand why Harper is ousting Casey, its probably because Casey is the only MP that actually thinks for himself, as for Rodney MacDonald he was the one who asked all MP's to stand up to Harper and vote against the accord and when Casey did MacDonald turned his back on Casey. MacDonald should be ashamed of himself and he better not hope for any votes next election he goes kissing the PM's butt and not sticking up for his people.

• Patrick
    January 18, 2010 - 10:53

Yes Roger. I don't know if he's the only one to win federally, but John Nunziata was elected as an independent once or twice.

• Al
    January 18, 2010 - 10:41

Flash.... CBC announces that Danny Williams is coming to support Bill Casey for his run as an independent. Bill, why dont you revive the old name of the party Progressive Conservative? After the next election youll have more disgruntled members of the House join you.

I think that Rod Man MacDonald continues to compromise Nova Scotias interests, the same way that he has compromised his private life. I don't trust him.

• roger
    January 18, 2010 - 10:36

i meant independent. always edit before you finish, kids.