Youth pleads not guilty to arson charge

Raissa Tetanish
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

AMHERST The youth accused of setting the Bridge Workshop on fire last October will have his day in court.

The male, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, entered a not guilty plea to the charge via his lawyer, Robert Gregan.

A trial date of June 14, 2007, has been set.

Since the youth was charged with the Oct. 28 fire, the matter had been put over numerous times, for several reasons.

Gregan brought in an expert to put together a report on the case, which has been distributed to the Crown.

Crown attorney Bruce Baxter had a chance to review the report, however some questions were raised

The defence has provided the experts report and Ive sent that off for another opinion, said Baxter before the plea was entered. Questions that Baxter had have yet to be answered by the expert who put the report together.

The Crown may be bringing in a second expert for the case.

Gregan also had a request to amend the youths undertaking, who has been on house arrest since hes been charged. The request was to strike the house arrest and put a curfew of 8 p.m. to 7 a.m. in place.

Justice David Milner said the request seemed to be reasonable.

Its been a long time that the accused has been on house arrest, he said.

rtetanish@amherstdaily.com

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments