Murray River man dies after cutting live wire

Ryan Ross, The Guardian
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

MURRAY HARBOUR - A 74-year-old Murray River man who got a severe electric shock after cutting a live wire in an empty building has died.

Murray Harbour

Edwin Peter MacKinnon was in hospital in Halifax where he received skin grafts after he was allegedly gathering scrap metal and cutting wires in the old Mariner’s Seafood building in Murray Harbour on Aug. 11.

His daughter, Cindy MacKinnon, told The Guardian her father died Friday afternoon due to multiple organ failure. He had been moved out of the intensive care unit but was moved back Friday morning, she said.

Edwin MacKinnon was initially taken the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Charlottetown after suffering severe burns from 600 volts of electricity when he cut into a live wire. He was later transferred to Halifax.

The RCMP were investigating the incident, which prompted them to issue a warning about the dangers of people taking wires from property they don’t own.

Cindy previously said her father told her he was looking for things to sell to pay for a headstone for her sister, Carla, who died in 2012. She was 42.

Edwin’s funeral is Thursday at the Southern Kings and Queens Funeral Home in Murray River.

rross@theguardian.pe.ca

twitter.com/ryanrross

Organizations: Queen Elizabeth Hospital, RCMP

Geographic location: Murray River, Halifax, Murray Harbour Charlottetown

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments