AMHERST – A 40 year-old man appeared in court Wednesday after being arrested with two handguns in his possession.
On Tues, Aug. 19, members of the Cumberland Integrated Street Crime Enforcement Unit conducted a firearms investigation under the Criminal Code.
A vehicle stop was made and five Amherst residents were arrested. Upon search of the vehicle incidental to the arrests, two handguns and a quantity of ammunition were found in the possession of one of the occupants.
The 40-year-old Amherst man appeared in Amherst Provincial Court Wednesday facing the following charges:
• Possession of a restricted firearm with readily accessible ammunition
• Possession of firearms and ammunition in a motor vehicle
• Unauthorized possession of a restricted firearm
• Possession of firearms obtained by crime
• Careless transport of firearms
• Possession of weapons for a dangerous purpose
• Possession of property obtained by crime
The investigation is ongoing.