Flag raisings will kick off Pride week on the Island

The rainbow flag is carried during Charlottetown's gay pride parade in this Guardian file photo.

Organizers of the annual Pride festival on Prince Edward Island will be out in full colour today holding flag-raising ceremonies across the province in support of the local GLBTQ and Pride week 2014.

“We’ve reached out to municipalities across the province and the reception has been amazing,” says Abegweit Rainbow Collective co-chairman Tyler Murnaghan.

“A few have even reached out to us to plan one for their community.”

Flags will be raised at Charlottetown City Hall, Summerside City Hall, Stratford Town Hall and the UPEI campus with representatives from the organization and community attending each.

“I think this really shows the high level of support the GLBTQ community receives from the general public here on Prince Edward Island,” said Murnaghan.

The events are open to everyone and organizers are encouraging the public to attend.

Flag raising ceremonies will be held at Stratford Town Centre at 11:30 a.m., at Charlottetown City Hall and Summerside City Hall both at 12 noon, and at UPEI’s Kelley Memorial Building at 2 p.m.

For more information on flag raisings and other Pride week activities check out their website at www.pride-pei.com or send an email at info@pride-pei.com.

Organizations: Stratford Town Centre

Geographic location: Prince Edward Island

Comments

Comments

• Daniel Boudreau
    July 29, 2014 - 18:35

@Cromwell...80% of the population are heterosexual...1 in 5 people are actually homosexual which is actually 20%.

• Elle Joraco
    July 28, 2014 - 23:15

Until equality exists, it's important to acknowledge and support those who are not treated equal and have public awareness of that support. It's why things such as Global Accessibility Day, Black History Month, Women's History Month and Pride Week exist... because as far as we come, our society still doesn't treat everyone with the respect and dignity that all people deserve.

• same story
    July 28, 2014 - 20:14

I was watching on t.v. they want to get younger people involved . The homosexuals will not be happy until they get children involved and it becomes legal for them to interact with children.

• Straight LGBTQ ally
      July 28, 2014 - 21:12

You are clearly uneducated, bigoted, or both.

• sick of it
      July 28, 2014 - 21:13

Ummmm.... last time I checked it IS legal for "the homosexuals" to interact with children. Or, said another way, it is AGAINST THE HUMAN RIGHTS CODE to fire any teacher, kindergarden teacher, doctor, police officer, fry cook, plumber etc for being gay. Get with the times before you die of old age. Please.

• @ same story
      July 29, 2014 - 07:37

I was a front-line emergency services worker. I have seen first hand that a lot of gay youth struggle severely, many become depressed, some commit suicide. They are not trying to "get children involved." They are trying to provide much needed support to these kids, who feel very isolated, alone and alienated. If it prevents even one kid's death, it's well worth it, and I'm glad they are recognizing the needs of these kids.

• Jennifer McCreath
    July 28, 2014 - 18:56

I am glad to see PEI start to get up with the times and recognize diversity and equality. I am a transgender Newfoundlander and I will be in Summerside and Charlottetown on Wednesday to attend some PEI Pride official events, as well as to organize a few trans-specific events of my own. Look forward to visiting your lovely Province!

• attitude
    July 28, 2014 - 16:34

any port in a storm !!!

• more open-minded
    July 28, 2014 - 12:08

I remember the first year this parade was held. Although I am straight, I was asked to march in it. My first thought came from fear: what will people think? What if someone thinks I was gay? It was then that I started to think about what attitudes GLBTQ face everyday. So, now I proudly march in the parade, and I hope that it will help others learn to be more accepting. It certainly helped me.

• OH MY
    July 28, 2014 - 10:36

I CHOSE TO STAY STRAIGHT AND I LIVE WITH IT.. COME ON FOLKS YOU LIVE WITH WHAT YOU ARE PUT AWAY YOUR FLAGS AND LIVE IN YOUR OWN LITTLE WORLD NO ONE IS TOO CONCERNED ABOUT WHO IS GAY AND WHO ISN'T GROW UP FOR WHO EVERS SAKE...............................

• sick of it
      July 28, 2014 - 14:20

um, you "choose to stay straight"? what does that even mean?

• reality
    July 28, 2014 - 08:37

let's have a straight parade !!!! a homophobe parade !!!so what if you don't agree with it ~!!!

• thoughtful
      July 28, 2014 - 11:46

its because of people like you, why they need to have this...I am straight, but I have close friends, both men and women, who are homosexual. The prejudice and persecution they face is scandalous. I wish everyone could be more accepting of other's differences...

• @ reality
      July 28, 2014 - 11:51

Straight people have never faced persecution like sexual minorities... so, we don't deserve a parade to celebrate our acceptance by society. And homophobes? Well, they just ought to go get counselling to help them confront and deal with their fears. That's what this is about... finally accepting others and their differences.

• sick of it
      July 28, 2014 - 14:09

Go right ahead and organize one - I'd love to see the fine specimens of homophobic heterosexuality that show up. I'm sure you'll win over a lot of hearts and minds.

• Cromwell
      July 28, 2014 - 14:26

Given that some 95% of the population are heterosexual, there is really no need for us to have a parade. I trust that the homosexuals and their friends enjoy themselves. No doubt this special occasion will warrant major media coverage.

• huh
      July 28, 2014 - 18:29

@ @reality: so only sexual minorities have faced persecution? A straight person has never faced persecution? Whoa. I'd have to disagree with that one.

• attitude