Amherst man facing assault, confinement and breaching probation charges

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Following weekend incident on Crescent Avenue

Police have charged a 21-year-old man with assault, forcible confinement  and three breaches of probation following an incident on Crescent Avenue.

Amherst Police responded to 31 complaints over the weekend.

AMHERST – Police have charged a 21-year-old man with assault, forcible confinement  and three breaches of probation following an incident on Crescent Avenue on Saturday.

It was one of 31 incidents the Amherst Police Department responded to over the weekend.

The female victim did not require medical attention and the man has been remanded in custody until a court appearance on Wednesday.

On Friday, police received a report of an impaired driver on Queen Street. The vehicle was stopped by officers and the male driver was checked, but found not to be impaired.

Officers were called to a South Albion Street motel after receiving reports that youths had taken some driveway post markers for the property. Patrols were made, but the youths were not located.

Two young people were seen trying to break into a camper trailer parked in a parking lot on Church Street. Police made patrols of the area, but failed to find the youths. Do damage or entry was made to the camper.

A 30-year-old man was arrested for breaching the peace following a couple of incidents at a downtown area bar.

Police were called to remove the male from the bar after he made attempts to fight with other patrons. He was allowed to go home, but eventually returned and caused a disturbance.

No charges were laid and the man was released from custody a couple of hours later.

Officers were called to Prince Arthur Street on Saturday upon receiving reports that a 21-year-old female had been threatened by a 47-year-old man. The incident as resolved without charges.

A gas station on South Albion Street reported that a vehicle had driven off without paying for its fuel purchase. A licence plate was recorded and police are continuing their investigation.

On Saturday night, police went to Prince Arthur Street after an intoxicated male was reported lying on the ground. The male did not require medical assistance and was allowed to return to his residence.

Police went to a Newton Avenue residence following a dispute among brothers that turned physical. The incident was resolved without charges being laid and one of the brothers left the residence to stay at another location.

A 43-year-old man was arrested at his Prince Arthur Street residence after police discovered he had consumed alcohol against the conditions of his undertaking.

He was held in custody until Tuesday and was released on conditions he return to court on Jan. 13.

A disturbance was reported at an Amherst area motel. Police went to the motel, but the male involved had calmed down and was no longer causing problems. No charges were laid.

On Sunday, police received a complaint of a theft of jewelry and video equipment from a residence on Christie Street. Police are continuing their investigation.

A suspicious male with a tire iron was reported walking on Church Street. The man was also observed striking various items as he walked. Police checked the area but failed to locate the man.

Anyone with information on any of these incidents is asked to contact the department at 667-8600 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.


Organizations: Amherst Police Department, Crime Stoppers

Geographic location: Crescent Avenue, South Albion Street, Prince Arthur Street Church Street Queen Street Newton Avenue Christie Street

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page



Recent comments

  • Got Away Again!
    December 11, 2013 - 08:39

    "Failed to find the youths" theft -continuing their investigation", and "failed to locate the man"! If they drove as fast as they normally do getting to these reported situations rather than interrogate the caller as if they are the guilty party before sending the police out, the walking culprits could be caught before they make it 10 feet! Besides you can't catch vandals or suspects moving on foot with a radar gun from a nice warm patrol car! That seems to have become our new law enforcement motto replacing to serve and protect should say...speeders beware!