Comments

Comments

• Karen
    November 21, 2013 - 15:08

It is never a good idea to allow any person with a gun to be judge, jury and executioner. Allow the proper authorities to do their job. People may have other motives and will lie about seeing a dog chasing wildlife. This law is a convenient scapegoat to hide behind. There should be an investigation process that is legal and fair. New Brunswick has changed their law, it's time for Nova Scotia to bring this archaic law up to date. Our dogs do not have to be innocent victims for anybody who may or may not have good intentions.

• Randy
    November 20, 2013 - 20:35

Dogs should be controlled. So should uncontrolled humans. We have a system that allows humans to correct their problems why cant dogs and owners. To shoot the animal and not tell the owners, well as far as I'm concerned they are cowards. If you have the gull to shoot the dog then step up and tell the reason why. I have a dog that walks out among my cattle. Now tell me he is chasing deer or other wildlife. First off you have to prove it, not kill it.

• Kelly
    November 19, 2013 - 12:05

Very torn about this. The dog wouldn't have been in a position to get shot if the people responsible for his care had taken steps to prevent him getting away. How about a bit of focus on the fact that it doesn't sound like their dog was properly contained? At the best of times, an invisible fence/shock collar are a false sense of security to the owner. Take that collar off, and it is even less. It is an owners opinion that their dog "would never" do this, this, or this, which is a worthless, bias opinion. If their dog had been properly supervised and/or properly contained, this incident never would have occured and they would still have their dog. At some point, people need to step up and take some responsibility for their own actions. This is a tragic incident, but THESE PEOPLE FAILED THEIR DOG. Period. And now they're in the media acting like the changing of a law would have somehow made that different or okay. If their dog had been properly supervised/contained, he wouldn't have been anywhere to get shot in the first place, if that's even what happened. They are even speculating on that. They are passing the buck BIG TIME here. An invisible fence is NOT a fence, point one. Point two, if you believe in it as a fence, you believe that the magic is held within the collar. Three, if you remove that collar, all bets are off. These people knowingly and willingly endangered their pet. I feel awful for the dog. But a change in a law will not change the habits of the irresponsible. Reread the article once again. "Only out of sight for 5-10 minutes?" Only? Really? How long do you think it takes for a dog to run off? And, clearly, he's been out of sight much longer than that, as he was left unattended and not seen since. The more I read, the less sympathy I have for the humans involved. Just awful for the dog, whatever happened. Fuming.

• Dog lover
      November 20, 2013 - 09:40

I could not agree MORE with "Kelly" and "Keep control". You as the dog owner are responsible for keeping your dog safe at ALL times. Wildlife should not have to suffer or be terrorized for someone's lack of common sense. Mind you, dogs are not running in the woods as often as they were years ago but it still happens. If your dog was shot in the woods (accident or not) or caught in a snare or trap then you are at fault for not keeping your dog home safe instead of having it run loose. Snares, traps and discharging a firearm have to be done so at quite a distance from a dwelling. So your most recent dog and any others that you may have lost or had injured while it was in the wild did or has suffered because of your negligence!!!

• carla gould
    November 19, 2013 - 10:10

someone shot my German Shepherd, in my horses' pasture, within sight of my house,in Maccan, several yrs ago. I was away at the time.my brother found the dog and buried him , apparently my neighbor knew who was responsible but wouldn't say. you don't dare report some people in case they retaliate.

• Keep control
    November 19, 2013 - 09:50

Unfortunately, her dog was likely killed by coyotes. I am a dog lover and a dog owner, but you need to keep control of your animals. Being run to death by a domesticated dog is a cruel and needless death for a deer. As a hunter, if I witness a dog running a deer and could not scare it off I too would shoot it. If my dog was the one shot due to my negligence then the blame and guilt is on my. Don't blame someone else for your negligence

• Elizabeth MacAulay
    November 18, 2013 - 20:17

Thanks for bringing this forward for all to consider.

• Michelle
    November 18, 2013 - 17:53

So sorry to hear about Harley! I'm a valleybull owner myself and agree they are very loyal companions. My boy is 4 and I can't imagine life without him. God bless u all! I hope they change this law soon!!

• sharonhayward
    November 18, 2013 - 16:03

the person that shot the dog should have came and told them even if he lied to them and said he was chasing deer at least they know for sure and can bury him

• Bill
    November 18, 2013 - 15:33

I had a friend who shot his own dog for running in the woods. Keep your dog out of the woods and it should be safe. Go and look at pictures of what a dog can do to a deer and you would feel the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!