Amherst mourns passing of Roy Maltby

Darrell
Darrell Cole

Former deputy mayor, minor hockey supporter dies suddenly

Roy Maltby, who helped create the Fundy Hockey School 30 years ago, died suddenly at home early Tuesday.

Roy Maltby (right) shown accepting his Queen's Diamond Jubilee Medal last year from Mayor Robert Small, died suddenly at home early Tuesday.

AMHERST – Amherst is mourning the passing of its former deputy mayor and a longtime supporter of junior and minor hockey.

Roy Maltby died suddenly at home early Tuesday. He was 77.

A longtime employee at the former LRIS (land registry) office, Maltby was first elected to town council in 1994 and served several terms as deputy mayor. He often polled at or near the top in every election he ran in.

Maltby retired from municipal politics in 2004 after suffering a heart attack.

In more than 50 years experience in hockey, he helped create the former Central Midget Hockey League and was active with the Amherst Ramblers and the former Metro Valley Junior Hockey League that later became the Maritime Junior Hockey League.

He was very active in minor hockey, holding numerous executive positions.

Maltby also played a prominent role in the success of the Fundy Hockey School that earlier this year celebrated its 30th anniversary.

Both he and his brother, Walter, were honoured by the Cumberland County Minor Hockey Association in 2010 for their years of service to minor hockey and their banners hang at the west end of the Amherst Stadium.

Several years ago he was honoured with a Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for his years of service to his community and was presented with an Amherst Rotary Club Community Paul Harris Fellowship Award.

Visiting hours are 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. on Friday at Furlong-Jones Funeral Home. Funeral service will be Saturday at 11 a.m. at First Baptist Church.

Donations in his memory can be made to the David Maltby Memorial Society.

Organizations: Central Midget Hockey League, Metro Valley Junior Hockey League, Maritime Junior Hockey League Fundy Hockey School Cumberland County Minor Hockey Association Furlong-Jones Funeral Home First Baptist Church David Maltby Memorial Society

Geographic location: Amherst Stadium

Comments

Comments

• Doug Forbes
    October 17, 2013 - 20:46

There have been so many that can earn the respect of a few people but Roy Maltby earned the respect of so many that the definition of a true man with the integrity and unselfish love for his community is an understatement. I worked with Roy during my time in the CCMHA many years ago and I will remember him for his dedication to the kids and parents of the CCMHA, Our word is sad place today with his loss RIP my friend you are a true gentlemen!

• Doug Forbes
    October 17, 2013 - 20:44

• Peter Shay Marguerite Shay
    October 17, 2013 - 08:20

We will definately miss Roy at the Stadium and at Jacksons Point.Our thoughts and prayers are with all of his family.

• George Ramsay
    October 16, 2013 - 16:26

Sorry for your loss and I am very sorry that I can not make it down for support because I have to work . My prayers are certainly with you all. GOD BLESS

• Kier Dunlop
    October 16, 2013 - 16:12

So sorry to hear Mr. Maltby has passed away he was a great guy, i knew him in the summer and always use to love talking to him, he always had time for me even thought i was probably annoying to him sometimes but he was always patient and it was a highlight of the summer for me to go next door and talk to him. He was a great man may he rest in peace.

• Jack on the Rocks
    October 16, 2013 - 14:43

More than likely the best man to ever enter the Amherst Stadium..RIP Mr.Maltby..

• Kathy Lake
    October 16, 2013 - 10:03

I'm so sorry to hear of Roy's passing. He was a very important person in our community and I have great respect for him. Roy will be sadly missed by all who knew him. God Bless his wonderful Family. RIP Dear Friend.

• Keith and Patricia Mullin
    October 16, 2013 - 07:26

Roy's love was international. He will be missed by his cousins in Ocala, Florida. We looked forward every year to a visit from him and Evelyn. Hugs and prayers to his entire family. Pat and Keith Mullin, Ocala, Florida