PICTOU COUNTY - It's been two years since the county was overcome with grief at the disappearance and death of Amber Kirwan.
Below is a timeline of events from the day she went missing to the hour the police confirmed that remains found in Heathbell were those of Kirwan.
© Jennifer Vardy Little - The News
Candles flicker on a retaining wall across from the former Doolys location in downtown New Glasgow on Oct. 13, 2011. They were lit as a candlelight vigil held for Amber Kirwan, 19, who at that point was still a missing person. Kirwin's remains were found in Heathbell less than a month later.
Sunday, Oct. 9, 2011
• 1:30 a.m. - Amber calls her boyfriend, Mason Campbell, to meet her at Big Al's using a phone borrowed from a friend. She tells her friends she's OK to walk from Dooly's to the convenience store. She never reaches her destination.
• 1:40 a.m. - Campbell arrives at Big Al's; he says it took about eight minutes for him to get there. Amber isn't there; he calls the phone she used to call him to see if she's still there. He has no luck finding her.
• Morning - Campbell contacts Amber's friends to see if they know where Amber might be. No one has seen her.
• 5 p.m. - Family members go to New Glasgow Police to report Amber missing. A Facebook group is started to raise awareness.
Monday, Oct. 10
• 7 a.m. - New Glasgow Police send a notice to media that they are searching for a missing person. Ground Search and Rescue is called in to search the area. Friends begin searching the area themselves and hanging missing posters in the area.
Tuesday, Oct. 11
• 9 a.m. - Police begin searching door-to-door, bus shelters, taxis, buses and neighbourhood in downtown New Glasgow.
• 2 p.m. - Police search vacant buildings with the help of a police dog along the outskirts of New Glasgow and in Trenton.
• 7 p.m. - County residents begin a campaign to leave porch lights on to guide Amber home.
Wednesday, Oct. 12
• Noon - Friends begin collecting donations for the Kirwan family and Campbell.
• 3 p.m. - Police confirm they have collected numerous articles of clothing during the search, which will be sent for forensic testing to see if they belonged to Amber.
Thursday, Oct. 13
• 11 a.m. - Friends begin making and selling green ribbons to raise awareness and donations. Billboards with missing posters are erected in various parts of the county. Posters are handed out at local businesses to motorists and pedestrians.
• 2:45 p.m. - New Glasgow Police ask RCMP Major Crime Unit for assistance in the investigation.
Saturday, Oct. 15
• Police search areas in Heathbell and Big Gut Bridge in Pictou Landing.
Sunday, Oct. 16
• Police finish search in Heathbell but continue to search waters at Big Gut Bridge for a few days.
Tuesday, Nov. 1
• Amber's mother Marjorie with her husband by her side makes a public plea for the safe return of their daughter. She said Amber was "sweet and innocent."
Saturday, Nov. 5
• Police close off Heathbell road and begin another search.
• Remains are found in a wooded area on the farm property.
Sunday, Nov. 6
• 11:30 p.m. - Police confirm that the remains found were those of Amber Kirwan.
• 5:40 p.m. - Kirwan's family releases statement expressing grief.
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
• Chris Falconer is arrested and charged with Kirwan's kidnapping and murder
Monday Feb. 11, 2013
Jan. 6 2014
• Falconer will go to trial on charges of kidnapping and first degree murder.