Commemorative service on Sunday in Minudie
A commemorative service is planned for Sunday to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Amos 'King' Seaman Church in Minudie.
MINUDIE – The 150th anniversary of the King Seaman Church in Minudie will be celebrated on Sunday with a special service at the historic church.
The service begins at 2 p.m. with Lynda MacCallum leading the service and Jim Scopie providing the music.
The church was built by Amos ‘King’ Seaman on his land for the use of all denominations. Although the actual date of construction is unknown, it’s believed that that a church existed in the 1840s as there is a hymn book inscribed with the message ‘Universalist Church Minudie, 1846 (along with a portrait of the Universalist theologian Hosea Ballou that used to hang in the church).
Both are in the possession of the Seaman family.
The church was completed and dedicated as a Universalist Church in 1863. After King Seaman’s death in 1864, and in keeping with his wishes, the church was used by Baptists, Methodists, Presbyterians and sometimes Universalists.
Since 1965, ministers from Trinity-St. Stephen’s United Church held summer services held every second Sunday afternoon as well as Christmas Eve services.
The last service was held in 1985.
In 1997, concern for the future of the church (legally still the property of the remaining members of the Seaman family), resulted in the formation of the King Seaman Church Society with the deed for the church turned over to the new organization.
The society is now responsible for the church building and is pledged to preserve it, to restore its role as a spiritual centre in the community and to work with others, active in the heritage movement, to increase awareness in the Seaman legacy.
In 1997, the building was raised and the roof re-shingled, while in 1999 the building became a municipal heritage property. A conservation advice grant of $3,680 was received in May 2001 from Nova Scotia Tourism and Culture.
Arthur Arseneau Architect from Sackville, N.B. completed an architectural report on the church.
In the spring of 2003, the church received provincial heritage status.
More renovations have been completed over the past few years including repairs to the front windows, realigning the footings and improved drainage underneath the church, as well as replacing and painting the clapboards and repairing the rooft.
The interior of the building has been renovated with a vapor barrier, moisture resistant gyproc that has been crack filled and painted, and ceiling vents to reduce the moisture.
Future plans include a new roof and further upgrading of the interior as grants permit.
The executive and the board want to thank Mike Edwards for his work and the many donors who helped make the project possible.