© Metro News
Justice Minister Peter MacKay
A web-based resource for male victims of sexual violence that aims to have a national audience will receive $120,000 from the federal government.
Justice Minister Peter MacKay is scheduled to announce Monday that 1in6 Canada, an initiative of Ottawa-based non-profit organization The Men’s Project, will receive the funding over three years. The money will populate 1in6.ca with articles on trauma and recovery, a searchable database for service providers such as The Men’s Project, and training resources for mental health services, police services, and other organizations.
The Men’s Project has been in Ottawa since 1997, specializing in healing programs for men who have experienced sexual or physical abuse as children. The name of the new program is in reference to the startling statistic that one out of every six men have been sexually abused before the age of 18.
Executive director Rick Goodwin said in an interview with Metro on Sunday there are only four free-standing agencies in Canada dedicated to male victims and he sees a need for more leadership in the, “men helping men sector.”
“There is not a national voice for men and the existing networks of services for victims of sexual violence are women-serving and will not engage with male service,” said Goodwin. “So there is a vacuum there and we thought that it’s about time.”
Goodwin said his program was chosen to receive the funding after applying for it last year under the Department of Justice’s Victim Fund.
“This funding for 1in6 Canada will help support male victims of sexual trauma, as well as their friends, family and support networks,” said Minister MacKay in a news release. “It is vital that those who have suffered the devastating impacts of sexual abuse know that they have access to services that can help them heal and thrive.”
The federal government says the funding will provide the public with education materials and, “reduce the stigma associated with being a victim of sexual trauma.”