Dog not put down

Joey

UPPER NAPPAN – Joey is still alive.

“We still have the dog,” said Marilyn Williams, president of the Lillian Allbon Animal Shelter in Upper Nappan.

The dog in question – dubbed ‘Joey’ by the shelter – was at the centre of some discord recently. The canine was being held by the shelter in quarantine on behalf of Springhill. It was in quarantine following an accusation of biting. Upon completion of the quarantine period, to ensure the animal didn’t have rabies, the animal was to be euthanized.

That hasn’t happened.

“They just decided to put it on hold, I guess,” said Williams.

She described the dog’s current behavior as loving.

“He’s being a very good boy.”

Two weeks ago, Williams seemed on-board with euthanasia. In the absence of documentation chronicling attacks by the dog – despite the trust the president said she has in animal control – that support has shifted.

“We were just wanting to have documentation,” she said. “We’ve seen nothing that the dog bit at all.”

While the matter is sorted out, the animal is being well-loved and cared for at the shelter, said Williams. Before adoption to a new home would be considered, ownership would need to be established and the animal would need to be assessed.

“Down the road, with some work…,” she ventured.

Organizations: Lillian Allbon Animal Shelter

Geographic location: UPPER NAPPAN

Comments

Comments

• Robert Charbonneau
    July 19, 2013 - 17:48

I am 55 years old and through my teenager years and my adulthood, had to opportunity to have several dogs in my life. Even though I never had any formal training per say with dogs, I consider that my life experiences account for some amount of judgement. I had the opportunity to see the dog in question a few times already, never did I see him showing any type of aggressive behaviour, as I would of anticipate, I did notice at first that he was somewhat timid, understandably being under the present condition of being in a shelter, I would consider this to be absolutely normal. Recently I had again the opportunity to see him again and found him to be more comfortable, happy to see human beings and wagging his tail at my presence. Again with absolutely no sign of aggression. If I was the owner of a dog who had bitten someone ‘several times’, I would ‘myself’ see to it that the animal be euthanized. I would certainly not turn my dog over to an ACO to do the sad deed. Knowing some of the people that work at the shelter, I know them to be well qualified in accessing a dog temperament, that is their job! I can have any dog bite me by pulling their tail hard enough and I believe that if this dog did bite, it was to defend himself against an aggressive pet owner. Wonder why the pet owner wants to remain anonymous? And why would he/she turn the dog over to an ACO except to perhaps and most certainly save himself/herself from the cost. Unless the pet owner is ready to making himself/herself known, I must rank without a doubt with the shelter and command them for taking the right of an animal. Respectfully, Robert Charbonneau, Amherst NS.

• Alice
    July 19, 2013 - 17:29

The Shelter has contacts with very knowledgable people with years of training and experience as well as certification in evaluating animal behaviour. I have heard ridiculous lies and seen ridiculous actions by people that will do anything to get rid of their pet at no cost to them. The adoptoin process is taken very serious( as I am sure everyone is aware of as it is constantly complained about)and all information is relayed to the potential adopter . Unfortunately, the animals do not come from laps of luxury and the majority exhibit some type of behavioural problems. In my opinion all cases should be investigated throughly ,no matter whose toes are stepped on, as I feel the mission statement as a No Kill Shelter should be honored.

• Melanie
    July 19, 2013 - 16:34

When that dog again terrorizes children in a schoolyard, or tears a whole in the leg of a person walking by - then the animal shelter should get sued. I suggest you take the dog out of the controlled environment he is in, put him in the open where he no longer feels safe - and then ask one of the bleeding hearts to walk by him and see if he bites. Any takers?? Do you honestly think the owner would forfeit the dog if she thought he could be rehabilitated? Do you really think that an ACO, whose job it is to try and SAVE animal lives and keep the public safe, would put down a dog that could be rehabilitated? Come on people, where is your common sense? Do you realize that of all of the dogs this ACO has worked with, this is the FIRST and ONLY one that has been marked for euthanization? Again, people, find your common sense. Lord help you all if that dog bites a child....

• MY EXPERT OPINION OF MANY YEARS EXPERIENCE.
    July 18, 2013 - 18:31

I HOPE AND PRAY that "DOWN THE ROAD AND A LITTLE WORK" that this dog does not seriously injure, maim, or deface a small child, senior citizen or any other human for that fact. IF it is a proven fact that this dog has bitten several times, HE WILL DO IT AGAIN!!. AFTER THE FACT, AND THE INJURY MAY BE DEVASTATING, IT WILL BE TOO LATE!! TO THINK OF WHAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE WHEN WE HAD THE CHANCE! NO, I do not like to see an animal lose its life for acting inappropriately, but there are animals as well as several human beings that are just not safe to be around. Depending on circumstances, if a dog has bitten once... it COULD be given another chance. If it bites the second time... time should be up! For all the people who are against this story, would you be willing to adopt this dog and be legally, financially responsible for the damage that it may do in the future??? If not, then who do you think should??? Would love to hear your answers!

• magonagle
      July 18, 2013 - 22:23

Would I consider adopting this dog? In a heartbeat! In rescue we have saved so many "biters", who go to loving, experienced pet owners and live long happy lives. Too bad your 'many years of experience' do not include researching how to save these animals! Shame on you!

• MY EXPERT OPINION OF MANY YEARS EXPERIENCE
      July 19, 2013 - 14:31

To Magonagle... You have stated that you would be willing to adopt this dog, BUT you did not agree that you would be willing to be legally and financially responsible for him for any damage that he may cause in the future?

• SupportToACO
    July 18, 2013 - 14:18

Anyone with legal understanding and knowledge would know that the town and ACO cannot disclose or release the documentation and facts regarding a case. Legal matters are much more complicated then everyone here, including the LA Animal Shelter seem to be aware of. As for the Animal control officer, anyone who knows her knows that she is completely commited, passionate and devoted to the care and welfare of dogs , she has dedicated her life to taken care of dogs and assisting owners to having better behaved dogs. Her love for dogs and her passion is her reason for becoming an Animal control officer and you can be sure that all facts of the case and the facts of the particular bite would have been investigate thoroughly , the decision of Euthanization is not one to be taken lightly and no one can assume it was. Legally of course as well all facts would have to be reviewed and weighed before making this decision. As an ACO she not only has the welfare of the dogs to worry about but also the safety of the community to think about, it is a big responsibility. I wish people showed more respect and not pass judgement on issues they do not know anything about and do not have the knowledge and experience to determine the safety of this dog in a community, this is the reason why we have ACO’s hired with experience and knowledge and we need to have more faith and trust and not throw stones without the facts first or understanding of how things work legally and procedures.

• Fed up
    July 18, 2013 - 10:28

Slander....The Animal Shelter doesn't know the story and should NOT be questioning the decision of an ACO. It is newly taken over and restaffed with people who don't know howto handle dogs correctly. Just because a dog seems friendly does NOT mean it is. I would not want this dog living next door to my children... Wake up people and shake your heads...

• magonagle
      July 18, 2013 - 22:27

Unless your children are trained in the correct way to approach and treat a dog, any dog can pose a threat. PEOPLE need to start taking responsibility!

• Ridiculous
    July 18, 2013 - 07:24

There is obviously a reason why the dog was turned over to the control officer by its owner. No one just gives up their animal to be put down. The president of the animal shelter should perhaps enroll herself in a legal course, which would explain what slander and defamation of character is. If an animals bites, there is a reason, and 9 times out of 10 it will happen again.

• no name
    July 17, 2013 - 18:41

To bad you all don't weigh both sides of the issue before spreading half truths

• dave george
      July 18, 2013 - 05:45

Maybe we should stop shooting first and ask questions later and start looking into why the dog bit someone.

• Beatrice Langille
    July 17, 2013 - 18:35

I'm so happy this dog may get a second chance with a loving home, some dogs need a second chance just like people. Bless the Shelter and there rules, no papers no go. The shelter and this baby and all pets in their care will be in my prayers. Thank You

• Tina
    July 17, 2013 - 13:37

Good for the LA Animal Shelter for demanding documentation. Some people are too quick to dismiss animal's lives without all of the facts. Keep up the good work! I hope people in our community realize how much good the Animal Shelter does and how fortunate we are to have a "no kill" shelter.

• FYI
      July 18, 2013 - 13:15

A police dept cannot disclose information on a case, before making assumptions and making up your opinions without the facts will results in a more serious bite, if ACO made the decision of euthanization was best it was based on facts and long history and behavior and i;m sure not made lightly as many are insinuating. A comment was made that the reason of the bite needs to be looked at, this would have been part of the investigation that again legally cannot be disclosed, i do not see anyone (including shelter staff) on here with actual experience in assessing temperament and behavior. EVERYONE needs to understand that a dog's behavior while in a controlled environment like a shelter will result in a very different behavior then when a dog is living in a community. DO NOT PASS JUDGEMENT UNLESS YOU KNOW ALL THE FACTS, and since all the facts are legally unable to be disclose as this is a police matter, one should be very careful in their opinions. I hope with all my heart that this dog does not end up biting a person but more seriously a child one day do to the lack of knowledge from people only evaluating the dogs behavior while under control with certain people which he has learn to trust in a VERY controlled enviroment.

• Melanie
      July 19, 2013 - 16:42

Did you know that this is a police case, and therefore the facts of said case are confidential? If you decide to euthanize your pet because it has bitten people repeatedly, do you think the shelter should then have the right to NOT euthanize that pet and give it to another home? That is what is happening here. The City owns that dog and has determined that it cannot be rehabilitated and needs to be destroyed. I bet if this dog was a pitbull every one would agree it should be destroyed. .

• Heather Black
    July 17, 2013 - 12:53

He is beautiful and I am so hoping he gets a new home. Shoulfd he be put down? NO,NO, NO, !

• dave george
    July 17, 2013 - 12:27

score 1 for the 4 legged animals and zip for Springhills ACO.