One dead in Pictou County accident

One person is dead following an accident on the Trans Canada Highway 104 near Broadway.

The early afternoon accident involved a motorcycle travelling east and a truck towing a travel trailer travelling west. The deceased, a 52-year-old man from Dartmouth, was pronounced dead at the scene and was the driver of the motorcycle.

The Department of Highways and Infrastructure Renewal has the highway down to one lane and the RCMP accident reconstruction crew is on scene.

The RCMP are in early stages of the investigation and are taking statements about the cause of the accident. Heavy rains in the area are being considered as a factor in the crash.

There is no timeframe at this time for when the second lane of the highway will reopen.

Police are not releasing the identity of the deceased at this point.

Check back for more.

Organizations: Trans Canada Highway 104

Geographic location: Pictou County, Broadway

Comments

Comments

• Cathleen
    July 16, 2013 - 17:34

Send these complaints to premier@gov.ca Bikers are trying to get gov to use signage telling people to watch for bikers and mandatory safety council course prior to licensing. My driving skills improved 110% since I took that course..you can sign a petition at novascotiabikers.com

• Shelly
      July 20, 2013 - 16:24

It is very important for people to watch out for bikers and a course should be required for any driver, no matter what type of vehicle they will be driving. Any accident is tragic but we also shouldn't assume that whenever a bike is involved, it is automatically the other driver who was not watching out for the bike.

• sherry oconnor
    July 13, 2013 - 10:39

So sorry for all involved my prayers are with both families

• Jim Gaffney
    July 12, 2013 - 18:40

What a terrible tragedy, I saw the aftermath, my heart goes out to anyone involved, at fault or not. I'm from Ontario, not too far from Toronto and I must say you even have polite traffic jams in Nova Scotia

• cathy sharp
    July 12, 2013 - 13:10

drive to antigonish a lot and do not know why there are not more accidents the way drivers drive we set our cruise on 100 km and transport trucks a foot from our bumper cant pull over to let them pass scared to slow down. never see a cop car on that highway and all kinds of drivers pulling out to pass u with a phone to there ear we see so much .we even had cars pass us on the shoulder of the road.we need more cops sitting out there on the highway

• dragonfly
    July 12, 2013 - 08:08

There really doesn't seem to be a need for a speed limit as I see it. When it was 80 they went 90, when it was 100 they went 110, now it's 110 and they go 120. I use my cruise control and set it between 105 and 110, weather conditions factored in, and people are constantly passing me like I am standing still. And where are their blinkers, I don't think their cars have any. As far as bikers, we have a bike and really people do not see us some days. Pay attention people and slow down unless you are trying to get to heaven before God wants you.

• Matt
    July 12, 2013 - 00:18

People drive too fast on that stretch and are too impatient about passing. I've been passed doing a little more than the limit with a solid double line. Another aggressive passer forced me to the shoulder because of oncoming traffic. This section has to be twinned to protect us from the morons they give licenses to. I think they should have twinned this part before focusing on the Antigonish area.

• P
    July 11, 2013 - 23:56

For the past year and bit I have been travelling to Antigonish for work. I have a clear understand as to why so many accidents happen on this highway, simply because people don't care to follow the rules of the road. I have never had my license or begginers yet I know a lot of rules of the road. Even yesterday as I travelled back to Pictou County there was at least 3 people who almost caused accidents. Drive for conditions and follow speed limits it's NOT that hard people!

• Dave
    July 11, 2013 - 22:42

How many people need to be killed in head-on collisions on our highways before the government decides to twin them all? Will they twin them or will the body count continue to escalate?

• BudM
    July 11, 2013 - 22:22

The vehicles are all traveling to no where. The speed trucks drive is crazy. Today I watched a motorbike speeding down the highway. He stopped, gunned the bike, and sped off up on one wheel. Its not always the other guys fault. My heartfelt sympathies to the family of this motor-cycle driver.

• Delma
    July 11, 2013 - 19:41

I think driving on the highway these days is crazy, so much more traffic, higher speeds, cars, trucks, transfers passing everyone, darting in and out of lanes, inattention has caused many more accidents and usually alot of passing cars are going no where except off a ramp or to turn in some where, so the poor motorcycle driver barely has a chance on the road.

• pete fawnda
    July 11, 2013 - 17:03

i think alot of it is older guy finally being able to get a bike again that wives never let them have as to put family before the fathers. now they have time and money but need to brush up on skills. PLUS YOU dont need any training to haul a trailer!