Darrell Dexter among least-loved premiers in Canada: poll

Nova Scotia Premier Darrell Dexter.

A new survey suggests Nova Scotia’s premier is one of the least loved in the country.

Angus Reid conducted an online survey of 6540 Canadian adults from May 31 to June 4, ranking approval of the provincial premiers.

Saskatchewan’s Brad Wall was the most popular, with 67 per cent approval, well ahead of BC premier Christy Clark at 45 per cent.

Nova Scotia’s Darrell Dexter came in with 28 per cent approval, tied with New Brunswick’s David Alward and ahead of Pauline Marois of Quebec and Kathy Dunderdale of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Nova Scotia Liberal leader Stephen McNeil had an approval rating of 53 per cent.

Ruth Davenport - Metro Halifax

Geographic location: Nova Scotia, Canada, Saskatchewan New Brunswick Quebec Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Andrew
    June 25, 2013 - 09:06

For all of you naysayers, before you head to the ballot box tocast your vote, at least educate yourselves to what has been accomplished since 2009, visit: http://nsnsp.ca Read. Learn.

• Charles
      June 26, 2013 - 15:25

I need no reminders of what the NDP have done to me in the past 4 years!! The election could not come soon enough

• Bryan
    June 25, 2013 - 08:12

Andrew everyone is allowed an opinion.We are getting more Federal money than ever. They raised the GST to the highest along with 1400 user fees. The old saying is figures don't lye but lyers figure. That budget is a projected budget, lets wait until the end of the year to see the real budget. Well that is if there is not an election called. People are leaving here in droves because there is no work and can not afford to live here. You must be an NDP supporter to make that statement.

• dp
    June 25, 2013 - 05:55

It takes longer than 4 yrs to undo the damage of 142 yrs of Conservative and Liberal corruption.

• Charles
    June 25, 2013 - 05:06

I love to listen to the NDP FANBOYS LOL What about shutting down ferry service. then flop flip and through the expense of starting it up again? Handing out huge amounts of money to foreign multi-billion dollar companies to keep jobs without ANY guarantees. NDP balanced the budget after raising HST!!. BIG DEAL!!! I am a work a day person. name one thing that the current provincial government has done to make life easier for me???? I think come election time the NDP are going to be soooooo fired!!! Charles

• Andrew
      June 25, 2013 - 08:45

CHARLES, the ferry service was cut because it lost money and the govt no longer wanted to float the loss - unlike previous governments that were. Tough choice, but necessary. Now, a new service is being reviewed, if it can stand on its own, it will fly. As for what they've done for you...well... Do you have kids? Dental coverage has been restored for an extra 3 years (cut by the Libs). Do you own a small business ( small business tax cut almost in half (first cut in 20 years). Are you a senior? (Caps on generic drug prices, expanded home care services, senior tax credits). Do you use electricity? (Took the HST off NSPI bills (Liberals have voted to reinstate that tax 8 times). This government has done more in four years to save this sinking ship than any government in the past 25 years. And, they have managed in during the worst recession in years.

• Charles
      June 25, 2013 - 18:41

Dental coverage ?? They downloaded 3 more years of burden unto the taxpayers from all those people who have medical/dental coverage for there families. BRAVO!!! Raise the HST and give even more back to business. BRAVO!! Yes I use electricity. Yes I over pay for it. the NDP have not even said a peep anytime emera have gone for another increase. My mother takes advantage off all the NDP have done for seniors in Nova Scotia. When a medical center or co-op (our supposed savior) is closed for 18 or 20 hours she worries about how she would get medical attention should she need it. She lives in Northern Nova Scotia where it's nearly a weekly think. So I ask once again.. What have the NDP done for me?? I would love to say more but I have to go now and decide what necessities I can do without. you see the power bill is due friday. THANK YOU YOU VERY MUCH NDP!!!

• Surprised in PC
    June 24, 2013 - 21:06

Wow. Never saw that coming. I would have figured he would be down around 0.28%. Who knew he was that popular. It would probably be a good time for him to call an election with numbers that good.

• Dusty
    June 24, 2013 - 20:55

Wow what a shock can't wait to see NDP gone

• David
    June 24, 2013 - 16:30

You could knock me over with a feather,you mean there are people out there who do not like our fearless leader.

• Andrew
    June 24, 2013 - 16:08

Steven MacNeil has a 53% approval rating for what??? Voting to put the HST back on power bills? For suggesting we should have one super health board, like the one that just was fired en masse in Alberta? For wanting to bring power in from Quebec (a plan already rejected by NB) instead of choosing to partner with NL to create stable, clean energy through hydro-electricity from Muskrat Falls? Darrell Dexter, and the NDP, inherited a flipping mess- created collectively- by 142 years of Liberal and Conservative mismanagement. If the NDP was able to balance the budget within 4 years of coming to why couldn't previous governments do it? Because they weren't willing to make tough choices that might lose them an election. The NDP government of the past 4 years has been he most fiscally responsible government I have known in NS in my adult life. I can only say that poor public opinion polls reflect a poor understanding of a Premier, and government, that has been willing to make tough choices that are good for the province, and not made for political expediency Wake up people!.