The Amherst Daily News becoming The Amherst News

Announcement to readers

On Friday, Aug. 2 a new weekly publication – The Amherst News – will roll off the presses. The final edition of The Amherst Daily News will be published on Friday, July 26.

At The Amherst Daily News, we have carved ourselves a special place in our community, thanks to our professional and dedicated staff, our high-quality content and, most importantly, our loyal readership. Over our 120-year history, we have transformed and reinvented ourselves to remain relevant in the ever-changing media landscape.

Today, The Amherst Daily News is about to enter the next phase of its publishing life by moving to a weekly format. The daily newspaper will continue to be published through July 26.

On Friday, Aug. 2 a brand new weekly publication – The Amherst News – will roll off the presses. The robust new publication will continue to feature all the local and regional news, sports and community events readers have enjoyed over the years.

The Amherst News will be a paper of substance, one that will present a rich content focusing more on local people and events. All our columnists are coming with us including Shirley Hallee’s Perspectives, Kristy’s Korner, Police Beat, At the Library, our recycling column and community editorial panel. We will also welcome Jamie Heap aboard with his new sports column.

Together with the Citizen-Record, which will shift to a Wednesday publishing day beginning July 31, we will continue to be the voice of the Cumberland County, gathering news, providing quality content to our readers and the best opportunities for our advertisers.

This reflects the changing retail market in the community and the evolving media consumption and reading habits. Our brand is moving with the times. As the audience is shifting more and more online – our unique visitors and page views are growing everyday – it’s the best way to serve our clients and readers, and to secure our title’s long-term future. This shift will allow us to build upon the strong foundation we have established over time, while deepening our commitment to new platforms.

We are very excited to announce that we are ramping up our online destination, offering expanded web presence at www.cumberlandnewsnow.com, with breaking news reports from the area throughout the day.

Our paper has a long tradition of serving our local community, and we will continue to connect local people with what matters in our county.

Your questions and comments are welcome, as always.

Sincerely,

Darrell Cole, Managing Editor

Richard Russell, Publisher

Organizations: Daily News, Amherst News, Citizen-Record

Geographic location: Amherst, Korner, Cumberland County

Comments

Comments

• Ron Jeremy
    June 24, 2013 - 15:14

Its very simple economics. The online edition is making $$$ on premium google ads. Going to a weekly paper = reduction in printed cost = more $$$ for Transcontinental Media

• D
    June 21, 2013 - 12:47

Will the Community Happenings section move online? That's the first thing I look for when I open the paper.

• Sharon
    June 21, 2013 - 12:14

Once again - Transcontinental Media has ruined a rural community newspaper. This is very disappointing news.

• Ruthie Patriquin
    June 21, 2013 - 08:29

Glad to see that there will still be a local newspaper. Looking forward to seeing the new format. Thanks for your tremendous support of community organizations like the Sexual Health Centre for Cumberland County

• Warren Burgess
    June 21, 2013 - 07:39

Stunning news from the News' editorial department. Former owner, and other various employees who are no longer with us may have already done the proverbial rollover! Numerous memories of a long newspaper career have been rekindled with this announcement. I dare say the paper will be missed. A former night news editor, Warren Burgess

• Disappointed
    June 21, 2013 - 00:39

This is very upsetting, I know that I enjoy getting up, walking to the mailbox , picking up my delivered copy of the Amherst Daily News to enjoy reading with my first coffee of the day. This has been a ritual for many years. Others have said to me, why would you pay to get a paper delivered when you can read it online. To me this is not at all the same. Now what do we put in its place the other 4 days of the week?

• David
    June 20, 2013 - 21:19

Just another sign that Amherst is going down the tubes. 1000 people less than there was 50 years ago. More jobs leaving than are coming ,an ageing population ,and all the young people leaving to find work. Empty lots everywhere in downtown. It seams to me it is time for the elected officials to do something. There has been no growth in the industrial park in the last 5 years. There has to be companies that would come to Amherst to open up shop Just look at Moncton and Truro . It seams like there is a new building going up on every corner. Time to stop setting on your hands and to get to work!!!!!

• charles comeau
    June 20, 2013 - 20:58

I am disappointed to hear that you are moving to a weekly paper. Just a month ago I paid for a subscription for the Amherst Daily News for a 6 mo. period. I will consider my options as to will I continue to be a subscriber. Sincerely, A disappointed subscriber

• Daily Reader
    June 20, 2013 - 19:42

For clarification purposes: Does this mean the website will continue to provide updated DAILY news just like always, but the only print format will be the WEEKLY version?

• david richards
      June 21, 2013 - 06:20

yes, I also would like to know about the online sight. as I work out of town(usa) I visit your sight daily, a lot of times I see things that my wife hasn't heard of.